Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX Post 303041090 by sarathy_a35 on Thursday 14th of November 2019 10:10:05 AM
Old 11-14-2019
Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error.

Code:
#! /bin/sh

errExit ()
{
    errMsg=`cat $1.log >> "$1".err`
    cat "$1".err | tee /dev/fd/3    
   return
}

test()
{
logfile=$1
exec 3>&1 1>>"${logfile}".log 2>&1
echo "$1"
echo "$2"
echo " "
echo "#################################################"
echo "Hi Hello,This is first function"
if [[ -z "$2" ]];
then 
errExit $logfile
return
else
#<some Commands Here>
fi
}

test_1()
{
logfile=$1
exec 3>&1 1>>"${logfile}".log 2>&1
echo "$1"
echo "$2"
echo " "
echo "Hi Hello,This is second function"
if [[ -z "$2" ]];
then 
errExit $logfile
return
else
#<some Commands Here>
fi
}

Error Message : Currently the error output is getting copied to err file and getting displayed in console too. But in log file the output and error message it getting redirected twice

I dont want to use set -x option.

Last edited by sarathy_a35; 11-14-2019 at 11:23 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Kernal panic error& setuproot:error mounting /proc&/sys

Hi all, I am new to redhat/fedora linux. In fedora linux 6,we created one file system(hda3 - /fs). in this mount poing we were installed mounta vista os. while booting we are getting below error messages. 1) Booting 'mountaVisat(2.6.18_pro 500_pc_target-x86_586 smp)' root(hd0,1)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunreddy3
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus error output to different error log file

HELLO, I am using such a command to write oracle sqlplus query result to text file: sqlplus -S xxx/xxx@xxxxxxx @\tmp\2.sql>\tmp\123.txt Is it possible to script that: If command succesfull write in \tmp\log.txt: timestamp and "succeded" and create 123.txt with results else If error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomasba
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing new log file & echo the string on console

Guys, I do have a script that runs to take the server out from network, after running the script it is writing the new log file{outFile} in to directory . Now what i need is my script should tail the last modified file{outFile} & search the string {Server Status} ans should echo the same at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of Unix & SQL in same file

output of Unix & sql in same file hi all, am working on shell script, i need to format data in such a way that both my Unix commands output & my sql output should be in a same file. I am able to redirect both output in separate files. for sql output: sqlplus -s... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log file is not getting created & unable to grep error from it

Hi All, Below is my code,what I am trying to do is redirecting output of ftp to a log file & then greping the errors but here I am unable to grep "Permission denied" error only & also the corresponding log file is also not getting created. #!/bin/sh . cfg USER='abc' PASSWD='abc123' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Log File Based on Date & Error

I'm still up trying to figure this out and it is driving me nuts. I have a log file which has a basic format of this... 2010-10-10 22:25:42 Init block 'UA Deployment Date': Dynamic refresh of repository scope variables has failed. The ODBC function has returned an error. The database... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k1ko
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :How to print the o/p of a Perl script on console and redirecting same in log file @ same time.

How can i print the output of a perl script on a unix console and redirect the same in a log file under same directory simultaneously ? Like in Shell script, we use tee, is there anything in Perl or any other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to copy file using SCP (Input/output & Permission denied error)

Hi, I am facing issue while using scp. Source & target machines are Linux & HP-UX respectively. On target machine, if I fire the following command, I get error: Now if I try scp on another file, which is on the same source machine, it works fine. All directories and subdirectories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Technext
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Shell/Perl(?)] Prepending timestamps to console output & writing results to a file

I do a lot of TSM work and I embarked on what I thought would be an easy task, and I'd be very happy for any input to save the pounding my keyboard is receiving :] By default, the output of TSM's console has no timestamping, making it hard to sort through accurately. This puts my console into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & send a mail conformation for any error

ENVIROMENT Linux: RHEL 6.4 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs Log Format: user.log.03-15-2015 I have log4j log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I need a script that will run daily that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_job_admin
1 Replies
MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)													       MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)

mssql_field_seek - Seeks to the specified field offset

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_field_seek (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
Seeks to the specified field offset. If the next call to mssql_fetch_field(3) won't include a field offset, this field would be returned. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The field offset, starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using mssql_field_seek(3) on the example for mssql_fetch_field(3) <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information, notice the // field_offset parameter is not set. See // the mssql_field_seek call below $field = mssql_fetch_field($query); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; // Move the internal seek pointer to the next // row in the result set mssql_field_seek($query, $i + 1); } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_fetch_field(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)