Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers One Line Command how to use pipe statements to execute and comment on multiple possible outcomes Post 303041010 by Neo on Tuesday 12th of November 2019 08:31:17 AM
Old 11-12-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by greavette
Thank you @Neo, I am interested in moving my script to another method of running. Ideally I will be using Ansible once we have that setup. For now this quick and dirty bash script I'm using/modifying is getting us over the hump of getting the detail we need now.
Ansible is a Python application, so if you write this simple text processing script in Python it will fit into your Ansible configuration management nicely; and it is a very easy script to write in Python so since you are moving to Python anyway, it does seem good to use Python script to process simple text processing requirements.

Python is very easy to work with.

But, you do what you want to do Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit status of command in a pipe line

Hi, I am trying to test the exit status of the cleartool lsvtree statement below, but it doesn't seem to be working due to the tail pipe, which it is testing instead. Is there a way around this without adding a tonne of new code? cleartool lsvtree $testlocation/$exe_name | tail -15 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: topcat8
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute the multiple line sql using shell script

Hi All, Please help me to write a shell script to execute the below sql query. select c.account_no,b.bill_no,a.pay_type,(b.total_due + b.recvd + b.adjusted + b.disputed + b.transferred) as amt_not_billed,d.cash_on_delivery, (select j.bill_no from billinfo_T y, bill_t j where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I execute multiple statements within If then else

Please help me. I have been doing this for several hours. Here is the code if then echo a b c d >> file.txt echo 1111 >> file.txt fi The reason I want the two echo is because I want these statements printed on multiple lines. I keep getting error . First it tells me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asemota
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a no of SELECT COUNT(*) statements using a loop

HI Unix Gurus, I have a number of SELECT count(*) statements in an input file and I want to execute it using a shell script but one by one using loop in script.... How can I do this..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute multiple statements in if-else

how can we execute multiple statements in else condition i have if then statement else statements fi in else condition i have multiple statements but it executing only one statement is there any way to execute multiple statements (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani1984
4 Replies

6. Web Development

cannot execute copy comment but can do echo

I have set the sh file to chmod 755 i only able to print the output but cannot execute the copy why? Below is the code for sh file echo "Hello" cp hello.sh helloworld.sh Below is my code for php. <html> <head> </head> <body> <?php echo '<p>Hello</>'; ?> <?php shell_exec('sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhengkoon8
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute multiple comands on one single line

hi, I have a litle problem i wish to excute this comand : ./test.sh -e txt /home -l a so what it says is that "-e" shows me all the extenions that are ".txt" in "home" this works but then i wish that "-l" will show all files begining in this case with the letter "a" . Both comands work... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: samirboss
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line by line and execute command

Hi ALL, I have a requirement like this. 1.GET ALL TABLE NAME (just table name) keep in file 2.Read line by line and get the count of table from tablename files. tablename detail has a sql statement "db2 select tabname from syscat.tables" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick and easy way to comment out multi lined print statements

Is there a quick and easy way to comment out multi lined print statements? something like this? printf("3408 strings_line_tokens %s \n", strings_line_tokens); (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)