Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX Post 303040812 by Neo on Thursday 7th of November 2019 07:25:51 AM
Old 11-07-2019
Hi. Welcome.

What operating system exactly and what shell are you using?

What code have you written so far to attempt to solve this?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found..The issue is the last... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position in samefile

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found in the same file..The... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
27 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, replace string in file1 with string from (lookup table) file2?

Hello: I have another question. Please consider the following two sample, tab-delimited files: File_1: Abf1 YKL112w Abf1 YAL054c Abf1 YGL234w Ace2 YKL150w Ace2 YNL328c Cup9 YDR441c Cup9 YDR442w Cup9 YEL040w ... File 2: ... ABF1 YKL112W ACE2 YLR131C (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed :Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix

Search and Replace a string pattern with empty in an xml file in unix: My xml file would be like this : <Accounts><Name>Harish</Name><mobile>90844444444444445999 </mobile><TRIG>srcujim-1</TRIG></Accounts><Accounts><Name>Satish</Name><mobile>908999</mobile><TRIG>ettertrtt-1</TRIG></Accounts> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish_s_ampeo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string in the file and then replace another string after that position

Hi I am looking for a particular string in a file.If the string exists, then I want to replace another string with some other text.Once replaced, search for the same text after that character position in the file. :wall: E.g: Actual File content: Hello Name: Nitin Raj Welcome to Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace partial string

I have a list of strings in file: 10 10 AAA 120 13 BBBBB 23 11 CCCCC 11 32 DDDDDD I want to replace first column of the text such as: 10, 129, 23, 11 with 11, 22, 33, 44. I can do line by line, but just not sure how to replace partial string without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ford99
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string in a file and replace

I have file t1.log Contents of t1.log file Number of records processed: Number of records rejected: Error : xyz .......... abc .......... aaa _] start time : end time : Please let me know how i can remove the contents highlighted in red in the t1.log file. Thanks Sam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam777
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace partial of string in file?

Hi Guys, I need replace part of string in a file. for example: ABC=123 CDE=122 DEF=456 ABC=123 DED=333 ABC=123 I need replace the value after ABC=, highlighted in red. I want to get following result; ABC=456 CDE=122 DEF=456 ABC=456 DED=333 ABC=456 Anybody can help me this. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
Test::BDD::Cucumber::Manual::Tutorial(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		Test::BDD::Cucumber::Manual::Tutorial(3pm)

NAME
Test::BDD::Cucumber::Manual::Tutorial - Quick Start Guide VERSION
version 0.11 Introduction In this article we're going to jump straight in to using Test::BDD::Cucumber to build some simple tests for Digest, a core Perl module which provides message digests. We'll create a "features/" directory, and put our first test case in it, "features/basic.feature" in it. The contents of it are, in their entirity: # Somehow I don't see this replacing the other tests this module has... Feature: Simple tests of Digest.pm As a developer planning to use Digest.pm I want to test the basic functionality of Digest.pm In order to have confidence in it Background: Given a usable Digest class Scenario: Check MD5 Given a Digest MD5 object When I've added "foo bar baz" to the object And I've added "bat ban shan" to the object Then the hex output is "bcb56b3dd4674d5d7459c95e4c8a41d5" Then the base64 output is "1B2M2Y8AsgTpgAmY7PhCfg" Scenario: Check SHA-1 Given a Digest SHA-1 object When I've added "<data>" to the object Then the hex output is "<output>" Examples: | data | output | | foo | 0beec7b5ea3f0fdbc95d0dd47f3c5bc275da8a33 | | bar | 62cdb7020ff920e5aa642c3d4066950dd1f01f4d | | baz | bbe960a25ea311d21d40669e93df2003ba9b90a2 | Scenario: MD5 longer data Given a Digest MD5 object When I've added the following to the object """ Here is a chunk of text that works a bit like a HereDoc. We'll split off indenting space from the lines in it up to the indentation of the first """ """ Then the hex output is "75ad9f578e43b863590fae52d5d19ce6" This is a complete test, and if you run pherkin against it, you will get sane output! It just doesn't do anything ... yet. In the "features/" we'll add a "step_definitions/" directory, and add our first (and again, only) step definitions "features/step_definitions/basic_steps.pl" file in it: #!perl use strict; use warnings; use Test::More; use Test::BDD::Cucumber::StepFile; use Method::Signatures; Given qr/a usable (S+) class/, func ($c) { use_ok( $1 ); }; Given qr/a Digest (S+) object/, func ($c) { my $object = Digest->new($1); ok( $object, "Object created" ); $c->stash->{'scenario'}->{'object'} = $object; }; When qr/I've added "(.+)" to the object/, func ($c) { $c->stash->{'scenario'}->{'object'}->add( $1 ); }; When "I've added the following to the object", func ($c) { $c->stash->{'scenario'}->{'object'}->add( $c->data ); }; Then qr/the (.+) output is "(.+)"/, func ($c) { my $method = {base64 => 'b64digest', 'hex' => 'hexdigest' }->{ $1 } || do { fail("Unknown output type $1"); return }; is( $c->stash->{'scenario'}->{'object'}->$method, $2 ); }; When you run pherkin or the Test::Builder-based test which does the same thing ("900_run_features.thttps://github.com/sheriff/test-bdd-cucumber-perl/blob/master/t/900_run_features.t" in t), we look for a "features/" directory, and search for step definitions files (matched by "*_steps.pl") and feature files (matched by "*.feature"). The step matchers (the code that starts with "Given", "When" and "Then") are all loaded, and then we execture the feature files one by one. Let's step through the feature file, and look at how it matches up to the step definitions file. Name and conditions of satisfaction Feature: Simple tests of Digest.pm As a developer planning to use Digest.pm I want to test the basic functionality of Digest.pm In order to have confidence in it The first non-comment line of your feature file is a description of what you intend to do. You need to start the name itself with the string "Feature:", and that should be the first line of your file, save comments (denoted by #). Anything after that before the next new-line are your conditions of satisfaction. These aren't parsed, they're treated as human-readable text, and by convention, they're a user story <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story>. Background Background: Given a usable Digest class Next up, we have the Background section. The Background is a special kind of Scenario that doesn't have an explicit name, and should occur only once in your feature file. Its steps are run before the steps of every other scenario - the harnesses distributed with this distro won't display the Background section separately, they'll just subsume the steps in to the other scenarios. This is matched by: Given qr/a usable (S+) class/, func ($c) { use_ok( $1 ); }; "Given()" is a function exported by Test::BDD::Cucumber::StepFile that accepts two arguments: a regular expression (or a string when you don't need to do any smart matching) and a coderef. We use Method::Signatures to save some typing here, so note that written longer hand, the above might be written: Given( qr/a usable (S+) class/, sub { my $c = shift; use_ok( $1 ); }; ); If you're paying attention, you might notice that "use_ok" comes from Test::More. Each step is run, from a Test::Builder perspective, as its own distinct test file. This happens seamlessly, so you can use any Test::Builder-based testing tools in your step definitions without really worrying about it. There's some more detail in Test::BDD::Cucumber::Manual::Steps. The First Scenario... Scenario: Check MD5 Given a Digest MD5 object When I've added "foo bar baz" to the object And I've added "bat ban shan" to the object Then the hex output is "bcb56b3dd4674d5d7459c95e4c8a41d5" Then the base64 output is "1B2M2Y8AsgTpgAmY7PhCfg" The first scenario is delimited from the previous steps by a blank line, and it's called Check MD5. Scenarios are marked out using the "Scenario:" keyword, and just like the Background section before, it's a series of steps. These steps rely on the step before, which means we can examine the Test::Builder::StepContext object $c a little more closely. Given qr/a Digest (S+) object/, func ($c) { my $object = Digest->new($1); ok( $object, "Object created" ); $c->stash->{'scenario'}->{'object'} = $object; }; Creates a step definition. We create a new Digest object, and then use Test::More's "ok()" function to check that worked. We then put it in the stash for other steps to use. There are three stashes documented in Test::Builder::StepContext, "feature", "scenario" and "step". As you might expect, "feature" is available to all step definitions that are being executed as part of a feature, and "scenario" is available to all steps that are being executed as part of a feature. The context is the single argument that gets passed to each step, and it contains evertything that step should need to execute. We'll be looking at some of the methods you can call against it as we look at other steps, and you can find complete documentation for it here: Test::Builder::StepContext. This scenario also introduce several ways of starting a step, Given, When, and Then, as well as And. These are used to organize steps by type, with Given tending to describe setup steps, When describing the key actions that you're testing, and Then describing the outputs you're looking for. You can find more on this here: https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Given-When-Then <https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Given-When-Then>. A step definition you've declared with Given will not match a step starting with Then. You can use the keyword Step to declare general matching steps in your step definition files, although it's considered bad practice. Finally, the keywords And and But are simply replaced with the verb on the line before them. Scenario Outlines Scenario: Check SHA-1 Given a Digest SHA-1 object When I've added "<data>" to the object Then the hex output is "<output>" Examples: | data | output | | foo | 0beec7b5ea3f0fdbc95d0dd47f3c5bc275da8a33 | | bar | 62cdb7020ff920e5aa642c3d4066950dd1f01f4d | | baz | bbe960a25ea311d21d40669e93df2003ba9b90a2 | The next scenario adds one of the three ways you can provide structured data to your steps, using placeholders and a table. This scenario is run three times, one for each table row, and with the " <placeholders" > being replaced by the appropriate row's column. These are called Scenario Outlines <https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Scenario-outlines>. Multiline Step Arguments Scenario: MD5 longer data Given a Digest MD5 object When I've added the following to the object """ Here is a chunk of text that works a bit like a HereDoc. We'll split off indenting space from the lines in it up to the indentation of the first """ """ Then the hex output is "75ad9f578e43b863590fae52d5d19ce6" While before we were looking at structured data on a Scenario level, we can also provide it on a Step level, in two ways. Firstly, we can provide multi-line strings, as above, using a feature that is syntactically similar to "pystring"s, and conceptually similar to HEREDOCs. The contents of the string will be available to the step definition via the "data()" method of the context: When "I've added the following to the object", func ($c) { $c->stash->{'scenario'}->{'object'}->add( $c->data ); }; While we don't have an example of it here, you can also provide tables to your steps, which will also be available via "data()": Scenario: Sort Employees Given a set of employees | name | wage | hair color | | Peter | 10,000 | brown | | John | 20,000 | blond | | Joan | 30,000 | green | You can find out more about these features in the Cucumber documentation here: https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Multiline-Step-Arguments <https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Multiline-Step-Arguments>. Next Steps... That's the tutorial done! You can find out more about writing steps in Test::BDD::Cucumber::Manual::Steps, the documentation for our simple command-line tool in App::pherkin, and how to integrate with Test::Builder in Test::BDD::Cucumber::Manual::Integration. AUTHOR
Peter Sergeant "pete@clueball.com" LICENSE
Copyright 2011, Peter Sergeant; Licensed under the same terms as Perl perl v5.14.2 2012-05-20 Test::BDD::Cucumber::Manual::Tutorial(3pm)