Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Discussion culture
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Discussion culture Post 303040772 by stomp on Wednesday 6th of November 2019 01:07:40 PM
Old 11-06-2019
Discussion culture

I want to start a small thread about discussion culture. From the past experience in different fora, I have little hope that any will come out of it. But I'll try it anyway, hoping to contributing to an improvement on the topic.

I do not want to discuss a specific technical question, but only the underlying mindsets and motives.

My personal basic philosophy is that every different person is like the word says: different. Different life experience, different opinions, different priority in values and needs, ... And this is a very good thing. Every different being contributes his life experience, his unique point of view into a discussion. Having said that, for me it's fundamental that there is - most of the time - no such thing that is right meaning all other points of view are wrong.

In fora I regularly notice there are things where there is a broader consent of opinons. That's ok. What I do not appreciate, that someone or some group claims this or that opinion is the only right one.

I'll try my best, to not do that myself, but I fail here sometimes to even notice I done it. So a - for me - successful way of communicating is when there is a place for every ones opinion. And to listen or reading without response is not the same as agreeing. It's just acknowledging having heard the others perspective as insight to his personal point of view.

The reason I write this, is that I just got a comment here about a thing that is really right and all the discussions perceived as fight for who's right.

What do you think?

Last edited by stomp; 11-07-2019 at 06:14 AM..

al(1)							      General Commands Manual							     al(1)

NAME
al, al2 - Mono Assembly Linker SYNOPSIS
al [option] [source-files] DESCRIPTION
AL is the Mono assembly linkder. This linker is used to put together assemblies from a collection of modules (.netmodule files), assembly manifest files and resources. Do not confuse this with the monolinker, which is a tool to reduce the size of assemblies based on the code used. Use al for processing 1.0 assemblies, use al2 to process 2.0 assemblies. OPTIONS
@<filename> Read response file for more options. -algid:<id> Algorithm used to hash files. The <id> must be specified in hexadecimal. -base:<addr> | -baseaddress:<addr> Base address for the library. THIS FEATURE ISN'T IMPLEMENTED. -bugreport:<filename> Create a 'Bug Report' file. THIS FEATURE ISN'T IMPLEMENTED. -comp:<text> | -company:<text> This inserts the company name into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyCompany ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -config:<text> | -configuration:<text> This inserts the configuration string into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyConfiguration ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -copy:<text> | -copyright:<text> This inserts the copyright message into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyCopyright ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -c:<text> | -culture:<text> This inserts the supported culture into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyCulture ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -delay | -delay+ | -delaysign | -delaysign+ The generated assembly will be delay signed. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyDelaySignAttribute (true)] attribute into C# source code. -delay- | -delaysign- The generated assembly will be fully signed (i.e. not delay signed). This is the default option when signing (-keyfile or -key- name). -descr:<text> | -description:<text> This inserts a description of the assembly into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyDescription ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -e:<filename> | -evidence:<filename> This embed into the assembly the specified file as assembly security evidences. -fileversion:<version> Optional Win32 version. This overrides the normal assembly version. -flags:<flags> Assembly flags. The <flags> must be specified in hexadecimal. -fullpaths Display files using fully-qualified filenames. -keyf:<filename> | -keyfile:<filename> Strongname (sign) the output assembly using the key pair present in the specified strong name key file (snk). A full key pair is required unless the delay signing option is also specified (-delay+). This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyKeyFile ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -keyn:<text> | -keyname:<text> Strongname (sign) the output assembly using the key pair present in the specified container. Delay signing isn't supported when using key containers. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyKeyName ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -main:<method> Specifies the method name of the assembly entry point. -nologo Suppress the startup banner and copyright message. -out:<filename> Output file name for the assembly manifest. -prod:<text> | product:<text> This inserts the product name into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyProduct ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -productv[ersion]:<text> This inserts the product version into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyInformationalVersion ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -t[arget]:<target> | -target=<target> Valid <target>s are: lib | library to create a library (.dll), exe to create a console executable (.exe), and win | winexe to create a Windows executable (.exe). -template:<filename> Specifies an assembly to get default options from. -title:<text> This inserts an assembly title into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyTitle ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -trade:<text> | -trademark:<text> This inserts a trademark message into the assembly metadata. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyTrademark ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -v:<version> | -version:<version> This inserts the assembly version into the assembly metadata. You can use * to auto-generate remaining numbers. This is equivalent to adding the [AssemblyVersion ("<text>")] attribute into C# source code. -win32icon:<filename> Use this icon for the output. -win32res:<filename> Specifies the Win32 resource file. -? | -help Display information about AL SEE ALSO
sn(1), monolinker(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 Novell, Inc (http://www.novell.com) MAILING LISTS
Visit http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-devel-list for details. WEB SITE
Visit: http://www.mono-project.com for details al(1)