Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Debugging Our Computer Science Trivia Feature Post 303040617 by Neo on Saturday 2nd of November 2019 02:34:46 AM
Old 11-02-2019
Ran this against the DB and manually edited any of these "non JSON friendly" chars:

Code:
SELECT * FROM neo_open_trivia WHERE question REGEXP '[^a-zA-Z0-9@:. \'\-`,\&#%$\\\"\!\|]';

I think the bug is in my submission script and I need to add better filters. Just using the PHP encode HTML entities function does not work perfectly.

SO, the DB should be clean now and the errors in display effect T/F etc, I think, solved.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Computer Science and Information Technology

Hi, I haven't posted on the forums for a while now, I tried to find the most appropriate section for this post, but if this is in the wrong section please forgive me. First, let me say I'm a sophomore in HS. I know that job wise I definitely want to do something in computers. A while ago I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
5 Replies

2. Programming

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer science.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

3. Web Development

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com

I have added a new experimental "Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia - True or False" section in the discussions, currently under the tags box. In the future, I plan to Expand this feature to add more trivia categories from math, science and technology. Keep track of correct and... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
20 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

1000+ Computer Science Trivia Questions at UNIX.COM

The UNIX and Linux Forums now has over 1000 TRUE / FALSE computer science and computer related trivia question in our database. These questions are of relatively high quality (compared to similar sites on the web) and are fun (according to feedback by users). In the first week during the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

New Member and Country Computer Trivia Leaderboards

Thanks to Akshay, who helped me write the core MySQL queries, we now have two new draft leaderboards, by (1) member and by (2) country: https://www.unix.com/trivia_stats.php Currently milhan leads the members with a high score of 90%: ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Computer Trivia Feature Tops 50,000 Questions Answered

Just noticed that our successful computer trivia feature (stats here) has surpassed over 50,000 questions answered by users: https://www.unix.com/trivia_stats.php This was a coding effort worth while and I'm pleased to see so many people enjoying it in such a short time since it was released... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
HTML::Entities(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 HTML::Entities(3)

NAME
HTML::Entities - Encode or decode strings with HTML entities SYNOPSIS
use HTML::Entities; $a = "Våre norske tegn bør &#230res"; decode_entities($a); encode_entities($a, "200-377"); DESCRIPTION
This module deals with encoding and decoding of strings with HTML character entities. The module provides the following functions: decode_entities($string) This routine replaces HTML entities found in the $string with the corresponding ISO-8859/1 (or with perl-5.7 or better Unicode) charac- ter. Unrecognized entities are left alone. encode_entities($string, [$unsafe_chars]) This routine replaces unsafe characters in $string with their entity representation. A second argument can be given to specify which characters to concider as unsafe. The default set of characters to expand are control chars, high-bit chars and the '<', '&', '>' and '"' characters. Both routines modify the string passed as the first argument if called in a void context. In scalar and array contexts the encoded or decoded string is returned (and the argument string is left unchanged). If you prefer not to import these routines into your namespace you can call them as: use HTML::Entities (); $encoded = HTML::Entities::encode($a); $decoded = HTML::Entities::decode($a); The module can also export the %char2entity and the %entity2char hashes which contain the mapping from all characters to the corresponding entities. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1995-2001 Gisle Aas. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.0 2001-11-05 HTML::Entities(3)