Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to identify delimiter to find and replace a string with sed? Post 303040551 by duke0001 on Thursday 31st of October 2019 11:26:13 AM
Old 10-31-2019
RudiC:

Thanks. I debugged as this, this time, sed found the specific MON and replace it with whole value of $NEWDATE. But the DD and YYYY are not searched and replaced. I put DD in search, then the command doesn't work again. Here is output,

Code:
/home/oracle> /usr/xpg4/bin/sed "s/\(JUL\)/$NEWDATE/" test4.txt
       ep.begin_date, ep.end_date, ep.facility_code,
AND    ep.begin_date <= '01-01-OCT-2019-2019'

/home/oracle> /usr/xpg4/bin/sed "s/[0-3][0-9]\(JUL\)/$NEWDATE/" test4.txt
AND    ep.begin_date <= '01-JUL-2019'

I will continue debug DD and YYYY
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help identify string using sed

I have the following output and would like to only identify strings with "vw" at the end. Here is the file contents: SELECT n.contract_num, n.descr, s.prj_level2_cf_val, r.descr, r.project_id, p.offering_id, o.n_cust_contract, u.name1, ' ', ' ', SUM (0), TO_CHAR (t.start_dt, 'YYYY-MM-DD'),... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobroberts369
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed in ksh to find and replace string

Hi All, I have a file in which contains location of various data files. I want to change locations using sed. Find and replace strings are in a separate file. Content of this file (/tmp/tt) - /dd/pp/test/test/1/ /pp/aa/test/dg1/ /dd/pp/test/test/2/ /pp/aa/test/dg2/ /dd/pp/test/test/3/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeyra
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HPUX find string in directory and filetype and replace string

Hi, Here's my dilemma. I need to replace the string Sept_2012 to Oct_2012 in all *config.py files within the current directory and below directories Is this possible? Also I am trying to find all instances of the string Sept_2012 within files in the current directory and below I have... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pure_jax
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: find and replace backwards, until string

Some help please: Need to find string ||(everything in front of it)B0300|| and replace it with ||0|| globally In: 16112121||||0||0||0||0||0||52||52||0||0||0||0||1507200053342B0300||1507200053342B0300||0||0||0||0700 Out: 16112121||||0||0||0||0||0||52||52||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0700 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed find replace after HOST string

Hi Everyone, I have a xml file, where i need to find this HOST=dbhost.domain.com and then replace only dbhost.domain.com with db.one.in so finally it should like this HOST=db.one.in i tried this but its not working. sed -i "s/^HOST=*com$/HOST=db.one.in/g" repository.xml ^... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajay12
4 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)