Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sendmail with wrong domain name Post 303040451 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 29th of October 2019 03:38:03 PM
Old 10-29-2019
what does ls -l sendmail.cf show? Has it changed recently? There should a default version of sendmail.mc you can compile and then substitute. If in doubt.

If it got changed you may want to revert. Here is how to revert:
sendmail.mc is what you change then compile with m4 into sendmail.cf. You did that, right? ...assuming you already changed something. It is not a good idea to edit sendmail.cf directly, BTW.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Sendmail for multiple domain names

Hi, We're an internet company with several domain names. Our mail server was originally set up to deal with xxx@domain1.com email addresses which works fine. The problem I have is that we're now also using a domain2.com, and sales@domain1.com isn't the same as sales@domain2.com. I've added... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: captainash
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

blocking sendmail from domain

hi i edited the /etc/mail/access files with the line "yahoo.com REJECT", afterwhich i cannot send out files to the yahoo.com domain. :mad: can someone advise on how to go about configuring such that i am able to send mail out to yahoo.com BUT block INCOMING mail from yahoo.com :confused: i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
0 Replies

3. AIX

sendmail only sends emails to its own domain

Hi, folks! I have a problem with an AIX 5.3 server running sendmail where it is able to send messages within its own domain just fine. This is being used for a web email service portion of a web site. However, when it attempts to send email to any other domain -- i.e., hotmail.com -- it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjwood64
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

configure sendmail to append domain

I am running redhat enterprise 4 with sendmail version 8.13. I am trying to configure sendmail to append the domain to localpart. For example If i send an email to “username”. I want sendmail to append the “username” with @bbl.com I tried modifying the following in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan1
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Configuring sendmail to modify the domain name

Hi, I would like to change the domain name using sendmail. For example, currently mails are sent like user@domain1.com I would like to change it to user@domain2.com How this can be done from HP-UX? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smuthuvel
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail: Remove domain name from From mail id

While sending mails using sendmail, the domain name is getting appended to the from id. My requirement is not to have that domain name in the From mail id. Could anyone help me on this? I am using the below command: cat t|/usr/lib/sendmail -f"Admin" user1@domain1.com (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skar_a
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail virtual domain problem

For a long time we have successfully been running mail servers using sendmail+ClamAV+clamav-milter+SpamAssassin+smf_spamd-milter on Solaris both as a mail server for several domains with local users getting their mail using POP and IMAP and also as a message filtering relay for other domains where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyt22
2 Replies

8. AIX

Allow unresolveable domain in AIX5.3/Sendmail 8.13.4

Is there a way in AIX5.3 with Sendmail 8.13.4 to accept a sender address with an unresolvable domain? I've read about the option: FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains') But can't seem to confirm if that option is available in this version of Sendmail. If it that feature is not available... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epearson1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure sendmail to Only send mail to one domain

On both Solaris 10 and RHEL, we would like to configure sendmail in such a way that the email sent from the server should only go to a particular domain. For eg. We want our server to ONLY send the mail to <user_name>@abc.com. All other domains should be blocked/restricted. The server should not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk2code
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sendmail not delivering to own domain

I can send off network but can not send to anyone on network. SitRep is this the legacy mail system at work is setup as 2 servers, one is the outbound server and /etc/aliases has a list of users to deliver the mail to another server. for this instance we will call the 192.168.1.9(outgoing)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sycomix
4 Replies
CHECKSENDMAIL(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  CHECKSENDMAIL(8)

NAME
checksendmail -- verify sendmail address transformations. SYNOPSIS
checksendmail [-a] [-d] [-b] [-C file.cf] [-b sendmail_binary] [-l log_file] [-r resolve] [-T test.address] DESCRIPTION
The checksendmail program is a perl script that aids the testing of sendmail(8) 's various configuration files. checksendmail passes typical addresses (supplied in input files) through sendmail and prints the results of the resolution and transformation routines. The input files contain a list of addresses, one per line. For example: user user@site user@site.com The input file can contain comments started with a # and blank lines. OPTIONS
-a Show aliasing of local addresses in mail address resolution phase of testing -d Preceed each address translation line with ruleset sequence summary -C file.cf Use the sendmail configuration file file.cf instead of the default /etc/sendmail.cf file. -b sendmail_binary Use the specified sendmail_binary as the path to invoke sendmail (instead of /usr/sbin/sendmail). -l log_file Log sendmail address test mode debugging output to log_file -r resolve Use resolve as the input file for the addresses to be used for mail resolving. Defaults to address.resolve. -T test.address Use test.address as the single address to test. Cannot be used in conjunction with file setting flags. EXAMPLES
The following command will pass the addresses in address.resolve through sendmail using the configuration information in myconfig.cf. example% cat address.resolve user user@site user@site.com example% checksendmail -C myconfig.cf system: myhost.gadget.com current dir: /tmp/Checksendmail resolve file: address.resolve sendmail binary: /usr/sbin/sendmail sendmail version: 8.9.3 config file: /etc/sendmail.cf config file version: V8/Berkeley Mail address resolution user --(ether )--> user[rmtc] user@site --(ether )--> user@site[rmtc] user@site.com --(ether )--> user@site.com[rmtc] `To' address transformations for mailer ether: user ----> user user@site ----> user@site user@site.com ----> user@site.com `From' address transformations for mailer ether: user ----> user user@site ----> user user@site.com ----> user The first section of the output shows how the addresses in the input files are resolved by sendmail(8). Consider the following output line: user@site.com --(ether )--> user@site.com[rmtc] The input address user@site.com resolves to use the ether mailer. That mailer is directed to send the mail to to the user user@site.com at site rmtc (as indicated in the square brackets). The two later sections of output show how the addresses specified as the To and From address are transformed in the text of the headers. In the example above, the To addresses are untouched. The From addresses, however, all lose their machine information on the way through the mailer: user@site ----> user This may be desirable when using a configuration file on a workstation which is to be hidden as a mailhost from the rest of the network. The following is a set of addresses used at one site for the purposes of testing address resolution. Comments after the addresses detail why particular addresses are present: user Standard trivial address user@rmtc qualified at one level user@rmtc.central qualified at two levels user@rmtc.central.sun.com qualified all the way rmtc!user local but specified as uucp user@summit a workstation (normally delivered locally, though) user@summit.central same but more qualified user@summit.central.sun.com same but fully qualified summit!user same but specified as uucp user@prisma Backward compatibility tests user@prisma.com prisma!user user@central Superior domain testing user@machine.central more qualified, but unknown user@summit.central more qualified and known user@eng name in faraway domain user@machine.eng unknown machine in faraway domain user@summit.eng local machine, far away domain user@hoback far away machine user@machine apparently local but unknown machine user@sun.com Standard trivial address user@machine.dom.sun.com fully qualified but unknown machine user@foo.com standard, known, really far away domain user@foo.dom standard, unknown, really far away domain site!user Single level uucp site1!site2!user Double level uucp user@foo.dom@bar.dom Trickier address site!user@foo.dom Mixed uucp/domain site!user@uunet.uu.net Mixed double uucp/domain NOTES
Note that checksendmail is a perl script. If your site does not have perl(1), it can be obtained via anonymous ftp from ftp.uu.net. sendmail requires that the user have access to directory specified by the OQ parameter in the configuration file (normally /usr/spool/mqueue). checksendmail verifies that the user has access to this directory before allowing the test to continue. AUTHORS
Gene Kim Rob Kolstad Jeff Polk Modified by Robert Harker SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) BSD
November 14, 2000 BSD