Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Single line backups with find or cat and xargs, etc Post 303040150 by apmcd47 on Thursday 24th of October 2019 04:51:56 AM
Old 10-24-2019
A long time ago I used find ... cpio to create tar archives. As it's a long time ago I can't find any examples, but using the GNU CPIO man page and evidence of how I used to copy directories with cpio (now I use rsync) it would have been something like this:
Code:
find -depth -name 'pattern' -print | cpio --create --format=tar > archive.tar

A SysV version would probably be more like:
Code:
find -depth -name 'pattern' -print | cpio -o -H tar > archive.tar

Of course, this was in the days when you couldn't pipe find into tar to list the files you wanted to archive...

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find | xargs cat

Hai I just want to find a file *.txt in particular direcotry and display the file name puls the content. Do someone know hot to do this, thanks. I try : find test/ -name '*.txt' | xargs cat but It does'nt print out the file name, i want something below print out in my screen : test/1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asal_email
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find | xargs cat

Hi, I am having trouble getting a combination of commands to work. I need to traverse through all sub-directories of a certain directory and 'cat' the contents of a particular file in the sub-directories. The commands on their own work but when I combine them I get no output. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DownunderDave
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a pattern in a single line

Hi I have to find if a pattern is present in a line. eq line="dasdasd hello asdasdasd" Have to find if "hello" is present in the line or not. Which command to be used? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashtcs
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XARGS and FIND together

I am trying to delete files older than 60 days from a folder: find /myfolder/*.dat -mtime +60 -exec rm {} \; ERROR - argument list too long: find I can't just give the folder name, as there are some files that I don't want to delete. So i need to give with the pattern (*.dat). I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on cat filelist.txt |xargs -n1 find

I am trying to find all the files listed in a filelist.txt. Why cant I use something like this cat filelist.txt | xargs -n1 find $path (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find 2 expressions then print in a single line

Guys, need help. I have a file that contains something like this: abc def ghi jkl I want to print the first and last line of the file and the output should be in a single line. so, output should be like this: abc jkl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solidhelix08
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies
CPIO(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   CPIO(1)

NAME
cpio - copy files to and from archives SYNOPSIS
cpio {-o|--create} [-0acvABLV] [-C bytes] [-H format] [-M message] [-O [[user@]host:]archive] [-F [[user@]host:]archive] [--file=[[user@]host:]archive] [--format=format] [--message=message] [--null] [--reset-access-time] [--verbose] [--dot] [--append] [--block-size=blocks] [--dereference] [--io-size=bytes] [--quiet] [--force-local] [--rsh-command=command] [--help] [--version] < name-list [> archive] cpio {-i|--extract} [-bcdfmnrtsuvBSV] [-C bytes] [-E file] [-H format] [-M message] [-R [user][:.][group]] [-I [[user@]host:]archive] [-F [[user@]host:]archive] [--file=[[user@]host:]archive] [--make-directories] [--nonmatching] [--preserve-modification-time] [--numeric-uid- gid] [--rename] [-t|--list] [--swap-bytes] [--swap] [--dot] [--unconditional] [--verbose] [--block-size=blocks] [--swap-halfwords] [--io- size=bytes] [--pattern-file=file] [--format=format] [--owner=[user][:.][group]] [--no-preserve-owner] [--message=message] [--force-local] [--no-absolute-filenames] [--sparse] [--only-verify-crc] [--to-stdout] [--quiet] [--rsh-command=command] [--help] [--version] [pattern...] [< archive] cpio {-p|--pass-through} [-0adlmuvLV] [-R [user][:.][group]] [--null] [--reset-access-time] [--make-directories] [--link] [--quiet] [--pre- serve-modification-time] [--unconditional] [--verbose] [--dot] [--dereference] [--owner=[user][:.][group]] [--no-preserve-owner] [--sparse] [--help] [--version] destination-directory < name-list REPORTING BUGS
Report cpio bugs to bug-cpio@gnu.org GNU cpio home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cpio translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> SEE ALSO
cpio(5) DESCRIPTION
GNU cpio is fully documented in the texinfo documentation. To access the help from your command line, type info cpio The online copy of the documentation is available at the following address: http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual CPIO(1)