Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Macos is the UNIX?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Macos is the UNIX? Post 303040007 by Corona688 on Monday 21st of October 2019 04:33:00 PM
Old 10-21-2019
In the literal, legal sense, UNIX means you had your operating system tested and certified as UNIX-compliant. Apple did this, and Linux hasn't (and perhaps can't, except for a tiny subset of configurations and features.)

In the same sense, Windows NT was partly compliant back in the day. They hastily added enough bolt-on modules and compatibility software it was compliant for a few narrow cases.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX on MacOS X

I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has been using the BSD UNIX that underlies MacOS X. Is this an "industrial strength" version of UNIX? Can I run X-Windows on such a machine? How about TeXing, pythoning, PERLing or using other useful UNIX goodies near and dear to my shrunken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncmathsadist
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vuze/MacOS X: Too many open files

1) How can I stop Vuze from reporting the following error: "Too many open files" ? 2) What directory do I need to be in to effectively utilize this command: sudo bash -c 'ulimit -n 8192; sudo -u username ./azureus' ? 3) Is this the maximum number of files that I can allot to Vuze on OS X... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JFraser1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Memory leak with awk on MacOs

Dear all, I use awk quite a bit for data wrangling ... today I find weird behavior that I cannot wrap my head around. if I execute the following command (simplified to illustrate the behavior ... nothing to do with the real command) bash-3.2$ awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comm|getline
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX tool on MacOS that can increase resolution of a file

hi, I am searching for a native tool on MacOS that can increase the resolution of a group of image files whose aspect ratios (file width versus height) vary widely. There are numerous files so I don't wish to do this manually. Someone suggested the sips command with the resampling option but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godtookapicture
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago. After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave. Then, after getting back at... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

6. Programming

Campimeter.sh for macOS

Hi Neo... This is me too except for the attention span. As soon as I find a solution to something I let others better it. And as for doing something different I have done some bizarre stuff on here... <wink> /Me awaits the mickey take... ;oD OT: Here is a small snippet for a terminal window... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
lib(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  lib(3pm)

NAME
lib - manipulate @INC at compile time SYNOPSIS
use lib LIST; no lib LIST; DESCRIPTION
This is a small simple module which simplifies the manipulation of @INC at compile time. It is typically used to add extra directories to perl's search path so that later "use" or "require" statements will find modules which are not located on perl's default search path. Adding directories to @INC The parameters to "use lib" are added to the start of the perl search path. Saying use lib LIST; is almost the same as saying BEGIN { unshift(@INC, LIST) } For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture specific directory and is added to @INC in front of $dir. To avoid memory leaks, all trailing duplicate entries in @INC are removed. Deleting directories from @INC You should normally only add directories to @INC. If you need to delete directories from @INC take care to only delete those which you added yourself or which you are certain are not needed by other modules in your script. Other modules may have added directories which they need for correct operation. The "no lib" statement deletes all instances of each named directory from @INC. For each directory in LIST (called $dir here) the lib module also checks to see if a directory called $dir/$archname/auto exists. If so the $dir/$archname directory is assumed to be a corresponding architecture specific directory and is also deleted from @INC. Restoring original @INC When the lib module is first loaded it records the current value of @INC in an array @lib::ORIG_INC. To restore @INC to that value you can say @INC = @lib::ORIG_INC; CAVEATS
In order to keep lib.pm small and simple, it only works with Unix filepaths. This doesn't mean it only works on Unix, but non-Unix users must first translate their file paths to Unix conventions. # VMS users wanting to put [.stuff.moo] into # their @INC would write use lib 'stuff/moo'; NOTES
In the future, this module will likely use File::Spec for determining paths, as it does now for Mac OS (where Unix-style or Mac-style paths work, and Unix-style paths are converted properly to Mac-style paths before being added to @INC). SEE ALSO
FindBin - optional module which deals with paths relative to the source file. AUTHOR
Tim Bunce, 2nd June 1995. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 lib(3pm)