Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not able to start cron service in Solaris 10 Post 303039951 by ron323232 on Friday 18th of October 2019 07:16:04 PM
Old 10-18-2019
Not able to start cron service in Solaris 10

Hi,

This is Solaris-10 x86. I am not able to start cron service, configured in FMRI. It is in maintenance and when I clear it, it seems like calling and failing on /etc/init.d/tcs-rtm script. I am not able to figure out, why cron is calling that script, if this failure is because of that. Cron should be independent of any custom script. And from where, I can get rid of this dependency ?

Code:
# svcs -p cron
STATE          STIME    FMRI
maintenance    16:08:03 svc:/system/cron:default
# svcadm clear svc:/system/cron:default
# cd /var/svc/log
# tail -f system-cron:default.log
[ Oct 18 16:09:00 Executing start method ("/etc/init.d/tcs-rtm start") ]
/export/home/routadm/sms911/cfg/sms911.smsiot-tpcapp1.rtmgr.sh
su: Sorry
[ Oct 18 16:09:04 Method "start" exited with status 0 ]
[ Oct 18 16:09:04 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
[ Oct 18 16:09:04 Executing stop method ("/etc/init.d/tcs-rtm stop") ]
This feature is not implemented
[ Oct 18 16:09:04 Method "stop" exited with status 0 ]
[ Oct 18 16:09:04 Executing start method ("/etc/init.d/tcs-rtm start") ]
/export/home/routadm/sms911/cfg/sms911.smsiot-tpcapp1.rtmgr.sh
su: Sorry
[ Oct 18 16:09:08 Method "start" exited with status 0 ]
[ Oct 18 16:09:08 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
[ Oct 18 16:09:08 Executing stop method ("/etc/init.d/tcs-rtm stop") ]
This feature is not implemented
[ Oct 18 16:09:08 Method "stop" exited with status 0 ]
[ Oct 18 16:09:08 Restarting too quickly, changing state to maintenance ]

# svcs -p cron
STATE          STIME    FMRI
maintenance    16:09:08 svc:/system/cron:default
#

# cat /etc/init.d/tcs-rtm  <-------------------And this is the script
#!/bin/sh
####
# Copyright (c) 2008 XXXXXXXXXXX, Inc
# All Rights Reserved
#
# Name:  /etc/init.d/tcs-rtm
# File:  $Id$
# Build: $Date$
#
# Purpose: Startup Run Time Manager
####

TCS_USER="routadm"
TCS_APP_DIR="sms911"
TCS_APP_CFG=/export/home/${TCS_USER}/${TCS_APP_DIR}/cfg
_myhost=`uname -n`
TCS_SCRIPT=`ls $TCS_APP_CFG/*${_myhost}.rtmgr.sh | tail -1`

case "$1" in
start)
        if [ -x ${TCS_SCRIPT} ]; then
echo ${TCS_SCRIPT}
          su - routadm -c "${TCS_SCRIPT}"
        else
          echo "$TCS_SCRIPT not found..."
          exit 1
        fi
        exit 0
        ;;
  stop)
        echo "This feature is not implemented"
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: $0 [ start | stop ]" >&2
        exit 1
       ;;
esac

###

#   End

###
#

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a Script to Start as a Service

Hi, I have a shell script t1.sh. on my solaris box. So, what are the steps required to make this script run as a Service, when the system re-starts. (for ex:- at run level 3). I know that I should use the rc.d folders. But I don't know the exact steps. Kindly explain, Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to supress a UI popup at the time of Service start up in solaris-10

Hi, I have written a service script(service.sh) for my application which will add my application(BTINM) as service and start the service. Internally inside the script i will call the sh script which will start my application server. When my application server starts a UI opens saying that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krevathi1912
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start a service as user

Hi I need a service to be start as user after a reboot. My script in /etc/init.d contain the following: start() { su - $USER cd ${INSTALL_PATH}/bin ./MyApp -X exit return 0 } This function stops after su - $USER, I get user shell, and only if I manualy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
5 Replies

4. Programming

MySQL service start error

Hi, I have installed MySql version 5.0.67 in RedHat LINUX version 5. The installation completed successfully. When I am trying to start the service an error occured the error shown below ".......Manager of pid-file quit without updating file" Can anyone help me to fix the problem.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanakumar
4 Replies

5. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

VSFTPD Service Failed to Start

Today I have installed VSFTPD but service is failing to start. We have been using standard FTP successful but need to introduce an FTPS option. I have run YUM install VSFTPD and everything appeared to load ok. (If I run rpm - qa | grep vsftpd I get vsftpd-2.0.5-16.el5_4.1 which I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PaulComins
4 Replies

7. Linux

Why service (start|stop) can not be called from cron?

Hi, When I googled, I came to know that I can not call the command "service <service-name> start" from cron, insted I have to specify path to the service-name. I wanted to know the reason. Thanks, Hansini (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Can't start NTOP service/daemon

I have installed version of ntop 4.0.3 by guide. But I can't start ntop daemon/service. I didn't find a service file for starting. During the installation there was no problem only want to RRDTool so I installed that. Now there is no necessary package required. I didn't find in /etc/init.d/... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

not able to start xvfb service via rc script

Hi , I am having this start script to start xvfb under rc3.d but it fails during system startup saying unable to open display. also manually if i try to execute the script , it does not work. But if i execute what ever is there in the script line by line on my SHELL , it starts well. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to auto start a service on rebooting a Solaris 5.10 x86 machine?

Hi all, How to auto start a snmpd deamon on rebooting a Solaris 5.10 x86 machine. snmpd's path: /opt/download/net-snmp/sbin Thank you in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziosnim
6 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. The timezone for cron entries can be overridden in a user's crontab file; see crontab(1). If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5), smf_security(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. Most administrative actions may be delegated to users with the solaris.smf.man- age.cron authorization (see rbac(5) and smf_security(5)). DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.11 4 Feb 2009 cron(1M)