Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Iso - remaster script trying to start chroot run commands then exit but host system gets messed up Post 303039786 by paulhoffusa on Tuesday 15th of October 2019 12:57:51 PM
Old 10-15-2019
Ok thank you. For clarification chrootbeg and chrootend were bash functions I created in the script not actual commands. If I do what you mentioned and create a separate script that contain just the commands to be run in a chroot env and put a exit command in it does that kills the script but doesn't exit the chroot environment? Then I have to type exit interactively at the prompt to exit the chroot env?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to start a chroot jail?

I was reading an article on how it is very important to setup a chroot jail to run bind. I can follow what the article says but one thing I am unclear about is now on system boot the BIND process in the chroot jail will start since it the owner will no longer be root but some other user. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands to remote host from centralized host

Gurus/Experts We have a centralized UNIX/Solaris server from where we can actually ssh to all other UNIX/Solaris servers...I need to write a script that reside on this centerlized server and do FileSystem monitoring (basically run df -h or -k) of other remote servers and then send an email to me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjum.suri
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fuser exit code different when script is run from cron

Hi, I am writing a bash script (running on Centos 5.4) to process video (.MTS) files which may have appeared in a certain directory. The files will be dragged and dropped there from a Windows box using Samba, and the script is to check periodically (i.e. run from cron) whether any new .MTS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palamedes
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run a script on remote host

Hi, I wish to run a script located on a remote host machineB from machineA. I am using ssh and running the below on machineA. However, the ssh does not seem to work and freezes at ssh -l wlsadmin machineB -v Sun_SSH_1.1.2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f debug1: Reading... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTML Code to Run a Script from Remote Unix Host

Hi All, Noticed few posts around this but coudnt get exatcly what i wanted. Thanks for your help again. I have a script running on a remote machine and i normally ssh from putty and run the script manually. Is there anyway that i can write an HTML Code with a button so taht when I Click... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a shell script on a remote host using ftp

Hi, is there a way I can run a shell script through ftp on a remote host? The remote host doesn't have ssh running so I can't use ssh. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating chroot environment with an ISO file.

I decided to try creating a chroot environment with a BT5r2 iso file. I'm just wanting to run Backtrack from inside Debian without having to reboot into my other partition or use vmware. I found some documentation on how to do this with BT4 at this link: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script on remote host

Hi friends, I have two servers. Server A and B. I want to run one script on server A by logging in to server B. Can anyone provide me code for this.? I tried it by using following ssh username@serverA ./script Then it prompt me the password. I give correct password of the server A. but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inner script run and its exit status

Main Script #!/bin/ksh echo "Maimn script" ./clocal/www/web-data/WAS/WebSphere7/scripts/DealerLocator/Scripts/secondscript.ksh echo "$? = status" Sdecond Script #!/bin/ksh echo "In second SCript" exit 1 Output: Maimn script ./testmain.ksh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
4 Replies
chroot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot newroot command DESCRIPTION
The chroot utility causes command to be executed relative to newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes (/) in the path names is changed to newroot for command and any of its child processes. Upon execution, the initial working directory is newroot. Notice that redirecting the output of command to a file, chroot newroot command >x will create the file x relative to the original root of command, not the new one. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a chroot is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command can be run only by the super-user. RETURN VALUES
The exit status of chroot is the return value of command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the chroot Utility The chroot utility provides an easy way to extract tar files (see tar(1)) written with absolute filenames to a different location. It is necessary to copy the shared libraries used by tar (see ldd(1)) to the newroot filesystem. example# mkdir /tmp/lib; cd /lib example# cp ld.so.1 libc.so.1 libcmd.so.1 libdl.so.1 libsec.so.1 /tmp/lib example# cp /usr/bin/tar /tmp example# dd if=/dev/rmt/0 | chroot /tmp tar xvf - ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), tar(1), chroot(2), ttyname(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
Exercise extreme caution when referencing device files in the new root file system. References by routines such as ttyname(3C) to stdin, stdout, and stderr will find that the device associated with the file descriptor is unknown after chroot is run. SunOS 5.11 15 Dec 2003 chroot(1M)