Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting List filename of files only inside a directory (non-recurrsive) on AIX Post 303039763 by mohtashims on Tuesday 15th of October 2019 12:28:14 AM
Old 10-15-2019
List filename of files only inside a directory (non-recurrsive) on AIX

I wish to list only files along with the absolute path in a given directory on my AiX 6.1 system.

Below is the best I could do.
Code:
ls -p "/app/scripts"/*

This gives a a list of all filename along with folder names with absolute path non-recurrsive (without listing files in sub-directories)

I notice that each directory is listed with a colon ':' at the end which I wish to eleminate as shown below.

Quote:
/app/scripts/myfolder:
Can we grep for the listing with a colon at the end as I m not expecting my filenames to have a colon at the end ? if yes how can i do that. Below is how I tried to grep each entry ending with a colon in ksh shell but none of them worked.

Code:
echo "/app/scripts/myfolder:" | grep *: 
echo "/app/scripts/myfolder:" | grep "*:"
echo "/app/scripts/myfolder:" | grep *':'
echo "/app/scripts/myfolder:" | grep *":"

This approach is pretty fast and hence I like it.

I tried find command but it is searching recurrsively inside sub-directories.

Can you please suggest ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory list inside a directory

Hi Bosses! I have a directory name sih. that directory contains some more directories and some files. i just want to list (ls) the directories under this directory. What will be the command.I am using debian linux. Thanks bosses.will appreciate your help. sih (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_jhon
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to see directory and the files inside it.

Hi Expert, How can i able to see the directory and the files inside the directories. Is it possible, please suggest. Thanks shaan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaan_dmp
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching files inside directory

hey, i need to use grep to search a bunch of header files inside a directory to return which file i can find the function i'm searching for in. how do i use wild cards to search through the files? i can only figure out how to search inside the directory, not inside the files that are in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylethesir
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files with spaces in filename from one directory to another

Hello, When I run following script #!/bin/bash cd ~/directory1 mv `ls -trF | grep -v / | tail -10 ` ~/directory2 works fine with filenames not having any space but runs into issues with filenames that have spaces tried with $file variable still doesnot work. Can someone help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asakhare
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip files inside directory

Hello folks I hope every one is fine. I need to ask one question. I have directory /xx/abcd/data/ inside that data there are files like 11.txt 23.txt 12.txt *.txt i want that i will do compress each txt file inside that directory /xx/abcd/data/. But it will not gzip data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip files inside the directory, but not the directory itself

Hi, Im facing a problem that im stucked, I have the following structure: thales@pereirtc-vbox:/home/VfARM$ ls code config doc lib manifest.bak manifest.rel manifest.v3 ns pub if i try to execute zip -q -o arm.zip VfARM/* it will create a zip file with the folder VfARM.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Filename and text inside of directory

I have a directory that has directories that contain Dir-20111114-xyz and I want to change them to Dir-20111121-xyz. Inside of Dir-20111114-xyz, I have a config.xml file that also contains the date that I need changed from 20111114 to 20111121 I have used sed to replace inside of file not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icculus99
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep all the files inside the directory and Sub directory

Hi, I have used the command cat * | grep -r <<String>> * It returns: cat : JAN : is directory *********************** ********************* My directory structure: log - JAN -catalina.out -FEB -catalina.out -MARCH ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files after a certain filename

Requirement: I need to ls all files based on date timestamp after a trigger file In the below example, I need to pull only files uploaded after orders.bmk by date timestamp ascending. ORDERS_0000000009877468.txt ORDERS_0000000009877464.txt ORDERS_0000000009877460.txt... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

NAME
whereis - locate source, binary, and/or manual for program SYNOPSIS
dir... name... DESCRIPTION
locates source, binary, and manuals sections for specified files. The supplied names are first stripped of leading path name components and any (single) trailing extension of the form (such as Prefixes of resulting from use of SCCS are also dealt with. then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard places. Options recognizes the following command-line options: Limit search to binary files. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to source-code files. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to manual entry files. Can be used in conjunction with or Search for unusual entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one entry of each requested type. Thus, searches for those files in the current directory that have no corresponding manual entry. Limit search to binaries located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to source files located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Limit search to manual entry files located in one or more specified directories. Can be used in conjunction with or Terminates the last directory list or options) and identifies the start of file names. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Find all the files in that are not documented in with source files in WARNINGS
uses the system call (see chdir(2)) to run faster. Therefore, path names given with the and options must be absolute path names. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
whereis(1)