Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and Recovery
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Backup and Recovery Post 303039709 by Neo on Saturday 12th of October 2019 09:41:20 PM
Old 10-12-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2002
Is it possible to take incremental backup in Linux using tar command?
Please guide me.

Suppose I have a directory /data.
And want incremental backup.
What will be the incremental "tar" command syntax?
Linux already has many good backup systems which uses some variations of tar (or rsync and tar) and is executed from cron.

Why not use that one of those and not reinvent the wheel?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup recovery

i have taken a backup using cpio command. Now i want to retrieve the contents. Replies appreciated. raguram (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
2 Replies

2. AIX

TSM backup and recovery problem

When I use tsm command: archive -subdir=yes /dir1/ to backup file system: /dir1 After I delete the contents under /dir1 and recovery it from TSM backup, retrieve /dir1/ I found the link breaked. Such as: Before: ls -l lrwxrwxrwx 1 abc develop 8 Apr 28 16:04 bin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. Linux

Q: Backup and recovery in major corporations?

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post. As i'm not too sure where this question would go. The question is: How is backup and recovery carried out in major corporations. Even if you are not in a major corporation an answer would be great. I'm doing some research as to how it's carried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup and recovery options

Hi, Do we have any options in rsync to recover files from the backup? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat backup/recovery

Can you please let me know a clear step by step procedure link/doc for an effective full backup and recovery procedure for a Redhat server with 2.6.34.9-69.fc13.x86_64 ? Thanks in advance. I also have the same question for Ubuntu Enterprise 12.04 if you would ... thanks again (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
0 Replies
ndmp(4) 							   File Formats 							   ndmp(4)

NAME
ndmp - configuration properties for Solaris Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) server DESCRIPTION
The behavior of the Solaris NDMP server is specified by property values that are stored in the Service Management Facility, smf(5). An authorized user can use the ndmpadm(1M) command to set global values for these properties in SMF. You can set the following properties by using the ndmpadm set command: backup-quarantine Backup the files marked as quarantined by AV. Acceptable values are yes or no. The default is no. dar-support Set the Direct Access Recovery mode. Acceptable values are yes or no. The default is no. debug-level Set the debug level. The debug-level can be set to either 0 (off) or 1 (on). The default is 0. debug-path The path to which to save the debug log. The default is /var/ndmp. dump-pathnode Enable or disable backing up the directories containing modified files or directories in dump(1) backup format. Acceptable values are yes or no. The default is no. ignore-ctime Determines whether the change timestamp (ctime) of files and directories is used to determine whether a file should be backed up in level backup. If this parameter is set to yes, only the modification time (mtime) of the file or directory determines whether it should be backed up. Acceptable values are yes or no. The default value is no. overwrite-quarantine Restore quarantined files on top of current files if they already exist. Acceptable values are yes or no. The default value is no. restore-quarantine Restore the files that had been marked as quarantined by AV and are backed up. Acceptable values are yes or no. The default value is no. tar-pathnode Enable or disable backing up the directories containing modified files or directories in tar(1) backup format. Acceptable values are yes or no. The default value is no. token-maxseq Set the maximum sequence number for subsequent token-based incremental backup in NDMP-V4. The default value is 9. There are two limits for this value: soft-limit, which is 59, and hard-limit, equal to 64. If the token sequence number, passed by the DMA, is between the soft and hard limits, a warning message is issued to the DMA. The token sequence number can never exceed the hard-limit value. version Set the maximum active NDMP protocol version. Valid values are currently 2, 3, and 4. The default is 4. The following property can only be set when using the ndmpadm enable or ndmpadm disable command: auth-type Sets the password encryption type for the authentication of local users. Valid values are cram-md5 or cleartext. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWndmpu, SUNWndmpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
dump(1), tar(1), ndmpadm(1M), ndmpd(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2009 ndmp(4)