Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash argument not expanding in script Post 303039680 by jim mcnamara on Friday 11th of October 2019 04:40:43 PM
Old 10-11-2019
Try export run=$1 to make the variable visible in child processes. I can't see a mistake in the syntax.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expanding dotted paths to absolute ones in bash or sh

I have a little script to help me manage a gallery of image files. It makes symbolic links to every file in and below the current directory, placing them in a target directory which is passed to the script as a parameter. Unfortunately, the script pukes when I pass a parameter that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TanRanger
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if argument is an ip address in bash/sh

Hi all, Can you please suggest a few lines of if statement to check if a variable is an ip address purely in bash/sh? Thanks, Marc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script argument problem

I'm having problems with bash scripts. If a bash script is called with no arguments, I always get "PHIST=!" as the first argument (i.e. this is what $1 equals). Why? Where does this come from, and how can I fix it? Nothing in the bash man pages refer to this mysterious default argument. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expanding variables with Ed Bash 3.2.33

Hi, The following code finds the line containing fruits in test.txt and replaces instances of apple with banana. ed -s test.txt <<< $'/fruits/s/apple/banana/g\nw' What I want to do is put variables in the place of fruits, apple and banana. I have tried replacing ' with " to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GET, passing argument to bash

Hi guys! So, I use GET ( Simple user agent using LWP library. ) on a remote text file that is then passed to bash and executed. However, I need to pass that bash script a single argument, and so far nothing that I have tried has worked, although I have learned quite a bit about input/output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script argument not outputing line -NULL

Hi everybody! I am writing a script which accepts two arguments one of them being a message. All is working except for the message part. That is, to accept text as an argument. I have trouble storing and echoing a line of text. It seems that writing a few words and store them in an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue expanding variables in ksh script

Hi Guys, I have an issue with awk and variables. I have trawled the internet and forums but can't seem to get the exactt syntax I need. I have tried using awk -v and all sorts of variations but I have hit a brick wall. I have spent a full day on this and am just going round in circles. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking first argument for tag in bash script

I have a bash script where I pass an argument ./chris.bash "\argv Test" I want to detect if the user supplied \argv at the start of the argument (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[BASH] eval command not expanding variables as expected.

Hi Guys, I wrote a collection of bash functions years ago and now need to use them again but I'm getting some error messages when eval tries to expand the variables names. I recollect that I used the shopt command to set one of the options but I can't quite remember the command that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
8 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)