Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue handling single quoted argument in shell script. Post 303039334 by mohtashims on Tuesday 1st of October 2019 06:00:25 AM
Old 10-01-2019
Issue handling single quoted argument in shell script.

Below is my script that works fine and prints the desired output:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
echo "$1" |
  while IFS= read -r dirpath
do
  echo "DIRR_PATH:$dirpath"
  install_dir=$install_dir" "$dirpath
done
echo "Desired Output:$install_dir"

Output:
Code:
./loopissue.sh "/tmp/scripts\\n/tmp/mrt\\n/tmp/exe"
DIRR_PATH:/tmp/scripts
DIRR_PATH:/tmp/mrt
DIRR_PATH:/tmp/exe
Desired Output:/tmp/scripts /tmp/mrt /tmp/exe

The problem is i'm not getting a clean way to seperate the arguments with a single white space as seen in the "desired output:" above when the parameters are passed in single qoutes like below:

Code:
./loopissue.sh '/tmp/scripts\\n/tmp/mrt\\n/tmp/exe'

I'm on Aix6.1 and ksh shell.

Can you please suggest how can I get similar output when the argument is passed in single quotes ?

I tried removing the single quotes using the below two approaches but that did not help.
Code:
sed "s/'//g"
tr -d"'"

In Summary: All \\n should be replaced by single white space and single quotes should be removed from the argument and stored in a variable.

Last edited by mohtashims; 10-01-2019 at 08:51 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

signal handling in shell script

Hi can any please tell me is it possible to catch the signal in a shell script like we do in C. if yes please give me some idea or a link. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script file handling

Hi ! /bin/sh set logdir1 "logDir/local/logname" #write the filename into a file echo $logdir1 >> logname.txt how do i exec the above echo command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling values with space while passing commandline argument from wrapper script in KSH

Hi there, I have a wapper script which passes the argument from command prompt to inner script.. It works fine as long as the argument containing single word. But when value contains multiple word with space, not working as expected. I tried my best, couldn't find the reason. Gurus, pls.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kans
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Error handling,not able to continue the script further

Hi, I am trying to write a script to cleanup files in a log directory .. cd log find Datk** -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; 2> /dev/null Have used the above to clean up files in log directory more then 7 days older. The file can be something like ( auto-generate by some processes and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take quoted output from one script as quoted input for another script

Hi, I have a script output.sh which produces the following output (as an example): "abc def" "ghi jkl" This output should be handled from script input.sh as input and the quotes should be treated as variable delimiters but not as regular characters. input.sh (processing positional... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Handling multiple argument in shell script

Hi i have written a shell script that takes only single ip address from the user and calculates its latency and reliability, can you please tell me that what should be done if i want that user should enter 100 or 1000 ip address (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti_17
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue while executing C executable with argument in shell script

Hi All, I am new to this forum and also shell script :) My task is I have to read CSV file get the data from the file and use the data to call c executable with data as argument.And the output from c executable should be stored to new CSV file Please find below my code testfunction() {... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravjot28
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make multiple lines into single quoted comma separated Linux

Hi, I want to change a file file1.txt: 1234 3456 2345 6789 3456 2333 4444 As, file2.txt in Linux: '1234','3456','2345','6789','3456','2333','4444' Could someone please help me. (Single liner sed, awk will be welcome!) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiweq05
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Help..Renaming Quoted files removing the timestamp

Hi all, i am new to this forum, unix and shell scripting. I would really appreciate if you all can help me here.. I have files coming in the below format 'filename20513'13May06:03:45 filename are characters.. like 'ABDDUT20513'13May06:03:45 i need it to be renamed as... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: khman
17 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)