Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Failed SSHD Login Attempts (15,000 per day) - Is that a lot compared to your server? Post 303039260 by Neo on Friday 27th of September 2019 10:59:17 AM
Old 09-27-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp
@Neo: Thanks for rephrasing and clarifying your request!

Here's a script which calculates the FLAPM value:
THANKS!

Yes, my first post was vague and not clear, so I started over and tried to be more clear.

That's what happens when I am multi-tasking many tasks at once and just do a "quick post" without putting my full thoughts down in the post. My bad and sorry for the earlier confusion.

Your script is really great and a strong contribution.

Perhaps in the future we should add a flag each server can be identified if fail2ban is turned on?

What do you think? Is that an important metric to add, do you think?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Maximum 3 login attempts

Hi, I notice in my Sun Solaris 8 sparc workstation, if I failed my login in the 5th time, I will be closed the connection from the host. I want to make 3 times. That is, if user fails to login with 3 attempts, he will be closed the connection. How to do it? Of course I am the admin of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
2 Replies

2. Solaris

invalid login attempts...

I am wondering if solaris captures id's associated w/invalid login attempts? when I try to login as "test1" several (3-5) times, I do not find any userID info under "/var/adm" files: utmpx wtmpx messages lastlog Is there another location/log I should be checking? Is it necessary for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
6 Replies

3. AIX

Denying IPaddress for Multiple Failed Login Attempts

Hi. I would like to be able to deny IP address for too many failed login attemps (either from ssh, sftp, ftp, etc). The system I wish this to work on is an AIX 5.1 system. I'm new to AIX but I'm a linux user. There is a program for linux called fail2ban which reads from the log files and see if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metzgerh
1 Replies

4. AIX

ftp check for failed attempts

Hi, I have created the below ftp script to put files over to our capacity server, the check at the end works if ftp fails to run however if the script cannot login or the transfer itself failed there is no warnings. Does anyone know the syntax to trap the erorr codes or to put a check within... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Number of login attempts on solaris 10

Hi, I want to sent number of login attempts ,so that after that much attempts user account should be locked on solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

6. AIX

Invalid login attempts

How can I see the number of invalid login attempts of a user? Thanks, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script in tracking both the passed and failed login in a unix server

Can you help me in providing the following output or a quite similar to this from a shell script ? *** Logins Summary Information ***** ---------------------------------- Failed Login Attempts for Invalid Accounts Date Time IP-ADD Account ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TCP failed connection attempts from netstat -s

Dear experts, I am seeing a lot of TCP failed connection attempts from "netstat -s" on one of our servers. How can I pin point what connection failed and what are the ports involved? Any tools/commands I can dig in deeper to diag. what went wrong on these "failed connection attempts"? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cache51
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris logs - Tracking failed attempts from my host

Hey all I'm having a big problem here. Someone is attempting an SSH to a destination host on which an account resides and locking the account. I'm trying to determine who is performing the SSH attempts from my host. For instance they're logged in as their standard account but then (I'm assuming)... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
13 Replies
LAST,LASTB(1)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     LAST,LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [-adFiowx] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [name...] [tty...] lastb [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [ -f file ] [-adFiowx] [name...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
Last searches back through the file /var/log/wtmp (or the file designated by the -f flag) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. Names of users and tty's can be given, in which case last will show only those entries matching the arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When last catches a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal (generated by the quit key, usu- ally control-), last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all reboots since the log file was created. Lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the file /var/log/btmp, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-f file Tells last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. -num This is a count telling last how many lines to show. -n num The same. -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS Display the state of logins as of the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to determine easily who was logged in at a particular time -- specify that time with -t and look for "still logged in". -f file Specifies a file to search other than /var/log/wtmp. -R Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -a Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the next flag. -d For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -F Print full login and logout times and dates. -i This option is like -d in that it displays the IP number of the remote host, but it displays the IP number in numbers-and-dots nota- tion. -o Read an old-type wtmp file (written by linux-libc5 applications). -w Display full user and domain names in the output. -x Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configura- tion issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), login(1), init(8) Jul 31, 2004 LAST,LASTB(1)