Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Odd behavior from passwd.
Special Forums Cybersecurity Odd behavior from passwd. Post 303038999 by gull04 on Thursday 19th of September 2019 07:53:46 AM
Old 09-19-2019
Odd behavior from passwd.

Hi Folks,

Before I go off and start checking I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this behaviour before.

Code:
[root@fbakirpomd4 ~]# passwd e825390
Changing password for user e825390.
New password:
Retype new password:
Retype new password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.

As you can see there is an extra "Retype new Password", the system is;
Code:
[root@fbakirpomd4 ~]# uname -a
Linux fbakirpomd4 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 21 18:14:51 EDT 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@fbakirpomd4 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo)
[root@fbakirpomd4 ~]#

The system has been built and a new "Security Standard" applied, this was done as a result of a "Security Audit" by a company called CGI.

This will cause an issue with a number of the standard accounts that we have on the servers going forward, the idea is to have a standard build so it has to be correct - one problem that I can foress is that the passwords are changed on the aforementioned accounts using an expect script and the second "Retype new Password" will break the script.

So I thought that I'd ask here before I raise an incident with Red Hat support.

Regards

Gull04

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

even odd script

I need a unix script that check for even or odd. EXAMPLE:::: please enter the number to check: 12 the output: This is an even number it has to have prompts. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snyper2k2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd .sh behavior in script

Hello, I have been working on a what I thought was a fairly simple script for installing a software kit on Linux and Unix I am not new to scripting but am far from being fluent in sh scripting. any assistance would be appreciated. I have an odd bug occuring when executing the script. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertmcol
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Odd storage behavior

Hi, We have some troubles with our HP server (rx4640) running HP-UX 11.31. The server is attached to a JBod cabinet. If the JBod cabinet is powered on and we power on the server after then HP-UX can't find the devices (disks) at the cabinet. Does not help to run an ioscan -fnC disk. But if I power... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Odd" behavior exiting shell script

Is it normal behavior for a shell script that terminates to terminate its parent shell when executed with the "." option? For example, if I have the example script (we'll name it ex.sh): #!/bin/sh if then echo "Bye." exit 2 fi And I execute it like this: >./ex.sh It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the odd one out!

Hi guys, I wondered if someone would be able to help me. I have a number of files which all have entries in them looking something like; And I'm looking for a way where by I can compare a number of these files and identify the odd numbers in the sequence. So for example if I had to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Odd vi error

Hello, I have a weird think going on, on one of my servers. vi filename "/var/tmp" No such file or directory What going on here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
4 Replies

9. Programming

Odd behavior from GDB while trying to cross-debug an embedded Linux application.

Some background: The application normally runs on an embedded platform. Currently, for development purposes, I have the rootfs located @ /exports and the target is communicating over NFS. That way I can make a change on my local system, save the application @ /exports, and run the altered... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
4 Replies
mkpwdict(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      mkpwdict(1M)

NAME
mkpwdict - maintain password-strength checking database SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkpwdict [-s dict1,... ,dictN] [-d destination-path] DESCRIPTION
The mkpwdict command adds words to the dictionary-lookup database used by pam_authtok_check(5) and passwd(1). Files containing words to be added to the database can be specified on the command-line using the -s flag. These source files should have a single word per line, much like /usr/share/lib/dict/words. If -s is omitted, mkpwdict will use the value of DICTIONLIST specified in /etc/default/passwd (see passwd(1)). The database is created in the directory specified by the -d option. If this option is omitted, mkpwdict uses the value of DICTIONDBDIR specified in /etc/default/passwd (see passwd(1)). The default location is /var/passwd. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -s Specifies a comma-separated list of files containing words to be added to the dictionary-lookup database. -d Specifies the target location of the dictionary-database. FILES
/etc/default/passwd See passwd(1). /var/passwd default destination directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), attributes(5), pam_authtok_check(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Jun 2004 mkpwdict(1M)