Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern Post 303038958 by jcdole on Wednesday 18th of September 2019 10:11:13 AM
Old 09-18-2019
Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello.

Here is a file contents :
Code:
declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=([FORCE_IGNORE15]="§" [FORCE_IGNORE17]="§" [FORCE_IGNORE1]="§" [FORCE_IGNORE16]="§" [FORCE_IGNORE11]="§" .................. [FORCE_IGNORE23]="§"

Here is a pattern
Code:
=

I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '='

Is there a better solution than mine :
Code:
MY_PATTERN="="
SOME_VAR=$(cat $SOME_FILE | awk -F$MY_PATTERN '{print $1}' |  awk '{print $3}' )
echo $SOME_VAR

Any help is welcome

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

extract field of characters after a specific pattern - using UNIX shell script

Hello, Below is my input file's content ( in HP-UX platform ): ABCD120672-B21 1 ABCD142257-002 1 ABCD142257-003 1 ABCD142257-006 1 From the above, I just want to get the field of 13 characters that comes after 'ABCD' i.e '120672-B21'... . Could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific pattern from a file

Hi All, I am a newbie to Shell Scripting. I have a File The Server Name XXX002 ------------------------- 2.1 LAPD Iface Id Link MTU Side ecc_3_1 4 Up 512 User ecc_3_2 5 Up 512 User The Server Name XXX003 ------------------------- 2.1 LAPD (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: athreyavc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract specific pattern from logfile

Log File: Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION=(SOURCE_ROUTE=OFF)(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=hostname1.com)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=database1)(SRVR=DEDICATED))) Attempting to contact... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techychap
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify the occurence of a pattern between a unique character?

hi, is it possible to find the number of occurences of a pattern between two paranthesis. for e.g i have a file as below. >>{ >>hi >>GoodMorning >>how are you? >>} >>is it good, >>tell me yes, if it is good In the above file, its clear the occurence of word "Good"... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: divak
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific line if the search pattern is found

Hi, I need to extract <APPNUMBER> tag alone, if the <college> haas IIT Chennai value. college tag value will have spaces embedded. Those spaces should not be suppresses. My Source file <Record><sno>1</sno><empid>E0001</empid><name>Rejsh suderam</name><college>IIT ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi I want to search for a specific pattern in file Say ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_" I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Specific pattern - log file

Hello everyone, I am on AIX (6.1). I can only use shell (ksh) script. I can't do this on my own, so will do my best to explain my needs.I also do not know what is the best idea to make it work, so here is what I am thinking, but I may wrong. I need help to extract info on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting value of a pattern preceding another pattern

I have a file like this ------------------------------- -------------------------------------- I need a way to find the timestamp preceding the ERR-XXXXX Here XXXX deonoes any any numeric string 00000-99999 that is a output like this 2012-11-12 : 11:59-ERR-XXXXX 2012-11-12 : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)