Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Construct Array from String seperated by different whitespaces Post 303038951 by mohtashims on Wednesday 18th of September 2019 07:10:14 AM
Old 09-18-2019
Can you share the logic / code to add first two elements seperated by single space to array[0] and the next elements thereon ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To split a string to obtain the words delimited by whitespaces

Please can someone thow some light what is the best way to split a string to obtain the words delimited by whitespaces. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated file.

Hi, I want to remove empty/blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated files Thanks all for help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

construct a string with X number of spaces

I'd like to create a variable with the value of X number of space( no Perl please), printf seems to work, but , in following example,10 spaces becomes 1 space when assinged to a variable, Why? other solutions are welcome. $printf "=%10s=\n" = = $var=$(printf "=%10s=\n") echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in string with whitespaces

hello, i have this string: variable="1234 /PARAMETER_1:text /PARAMETER_2:othertext" i tried to do expr match $variable '.*\(*\)' but i keep getting expr error i need to extract the word text... thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aloush89
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert comma seperated file to line seperated.

Hi, I have data like this. 1,2,3,4 Output required: 1 2 3 4 I am trying to use tr function but getting error. Help is appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop; how to construct a array with variables

Hi everybody!! Here is the thing; I have a trouble in this simple situation, I'm trying to write an array with all the arguments of a command. I mean, if I have: ./mycommand.sh aa bb cc dd I need to take an array like this: myarray=(aa bb cc dd) So I use a simple for loop like this: for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresgom
4 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Create a bash array from a flat file of whitespaces only.

Hi guys and gals... MacBook Pro. OSX 10.13.2, default bash terminal. I have a flat file 1920 bytes in size of whitespaces only. I need to put every single whitespace character into a bash array cell. Below are two methods that work, but both are seriously ugly. The first one requires that I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperated a Column from 'ESC' Character seperated file

Hi Experts I have an escape seperated fields in the unix file. And in the below format file I need to extract the first column. Please help its urgent. cat -v op.dat | head 24397028^ I want to extract the file in below format ( with only first column ) 24397028 2439707 thanks. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha_suri06
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
array(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  array(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
array - Manipulate array variables SYNOPSIS
array option arrayName ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs one of several operations on the variable given by arrayName. Unless otherwise specified for individual commands below, arrayName must be the name of an existing array variable. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: array anymore arrayName searchId Returns 1 if there are any more elements left to be processed in an array search, 0 if all elements have already been returned. SearchId indicates which search on arrayName to check, and must have been the return value from a previous invocation of array startsearch. This option is particularly useful if an array has an element with an empty name, since the return value from array nextelement won't indicate whether the search has been completed. array donesearch arrayName searchId This command terminates an array search and destroys all the state associated with that search. SearchId indicates which search on arrayName to destroy, and must have been the return value from a previous invocation of array startsearch. Returns an empty string. array exists arrayName Returns 1 if arrayName is an array variable, 0 if there is no variable by that name or if it is a scalar variable. array get arrayName ?pattern? Returns a list containing pairs of elements. The first element in each pair is the name of an element in arrayName and the second element of each pair is the value of the array element. The order of the pairs is undefined. If pattern is not specified, then all of the elements of the array are included in the result. If pattern is specified, then only those elements whose names match pat- tern (using the matching rules of string match) are included. If arrayName isn't the name of an array variable, or if the array contains no elements, then an empty list is returned. array names arrayName ?pattern? Returns a list containing the names of all of the elements in the array that match pattern (using the matching rules of string match). If pattern is omitted then the command returns all of the element names in the array. If there are no (matching) elements in the array, or if arrayName isn't the name of an array variable, then an empty string is returned. array nextelement arrayName searchId Returns the name of the next element in arrayName, or an empty string if all elements of arrayName have already been returned in this search. The searchId argument identifies the search, and must have been the return value of an array startsearch command. Warning: if elements are added to or deleted from the array, then all searches are automatically terminated just as if array done- search had been invoked; this will cause array nextelement operations to fail for those searches. array set arrayName list Sets the values of one or more elements in arrayName. list must have a form like that returned by array get, consisting of an even number of elements. Each odd-numbered element in list is treated as an element name within arrayName, and the following element in list is used as a new value for that array element. If the variable arrayName does not already exist and list is empty, arrayName is created with an empty array value. array size arrayName Returns a decimal string giving the number of elements in the array. If arrayName isn't the name of an array then 0 is returned. array startsearch arrayName This command initializes an element-by-element search through the array given by arrayName, such that invocations of the array nex- telement command will return the names of the individual elements in the array. When the search has been completed, the array done- search command should be invoked. The return value is a search identifier that must be used in array nextelement and array done- search commands; it allows multiple searches to be underway simultaneously for the same array. | array unset arrayName ?pattern? | Unsets all of the elements in the array that match pattern (using the matching rules of string match). If arrayName isn't the name | of an array variable or there are no matching elements in the array, then an empty string is returned. If pattern is omitted and is | it an array variable, then the command unsets the entire array. KEYWORDS
array, element names, search Tcl 8.3 array(n)