Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory Post 303038817 by RudiC on Saturday 14th of September 2019 12:07:41 PM
Old 09-14-2019
What will a "difference" be to you? Just files missing, i.e. different directory contents? Or files with different meta data, i.e. size and/or timestamp? Or do you need to byte compare every single file to its counterpart?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two directories and copy differing files

Hello there, I'm a total noob to shell scripting. :) What I want to do is compare the contents of Folder A and Folder B, and copy any files in Folder A that do not exist in Folder B over to Folder B. I have gotten so far as: diff -rq folderA folderB which returns the names of the files,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raaaaaa
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare File Differences in different directories

Hello, I am new to scripting and have been trying to compare two different directories, but with all the same file names in each directory for file changes. I have been doing it in baby steps and have been doing pretty good, but I have hit a few snags. Test 1 and Test 2 work great, but my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmaday
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two text files and Only show the differences

Hi experts, I'mvery new to shell scripting and learning it now currently i am having a problem which may look easy to u :) i have two files File 1: Start :Thu Nov 19 10:33:09 2009 ABCDGFSDJ.txt APDemoNew.ppt APDemoOutline.doc ARDemoNew.ppt ARDemoOutline.doc File 2: Start... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: CelvinSaran
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from multiple directories into one directory without overwriting them

I have several directories and all those directories have .dat files in them. I want to copy all those .dat files to one directory say "collected_directory" The problem is I don't want to overwrite files. So, if two file names match, I don't want the old file to be overwritten with a new one. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare the two files and list out differences between the two

Hi, I need to compare the two files and list out difference between the two. Please assist. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two big files for differences using Linux

Hello everybody Looking for help in comparing two files in Linux(files are big 800MB each). Example:- File1 has below data $ cat file1 5,6,3 2.1.4 1,1,1 8,9,1 File2 has below data $ cat file2 5,6,3 8,9,8 1,2,1 2,1,4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shanul karim
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy particular files from a multiple directories and paste in a new directory?

Dear all I have a multiple directories, say for example org1, org2, org3 ..... org100 and each directory having a file namely dnaG.fasta. I need to copy all the dnaG.fasta file from each directory and paste in another directory fastconcatg. Therefore, my script has to copy dnaG.fasta file from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
5 Replies
DIFF(1) 							   User Commands							   DIFF(1)

NAME
slack-diff - compare file contents, modes, etc SYNOPSIS
slack-diff [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
A wrapper for diff that displays file modes and other metadata changes. -u -U NUM --unified[=NUM] Tell diff(1) to use unified output format. --diff PROG Use this program for diffing, instead of diff. --fakediff Make a fake diff for file modes and other things that are not file contents. Default is on, can be disabled with --nofakediff. -r --recursive Recursively compare any subdirectories found. -N --new-file Treat missing files as empty. Default is on, can be disabled with --nonew-file. --unidirectional-new-file Treat only missing files in the first directory as empty. --from-file Treat arguments as a list of files from which to read filenames to compare, two lines at a time. -0 --null Use NULLs instead of newlines as the separator in --from-file mode. --devnullhack You have a version of diff that can't deal with -N when not in recursive mode, so we need to feed it /dev/null instead of the miss- ing file. Default is on, can be disabled with --nodevnullhack. --version Output version info. --help Output this help. FILES are `FILE1 FILE2' or `DIR1 DIR2' or `DIR FILE...' or `FILE... DIR'. If --from-file or --to-file is given, there are no restrictions on FILES. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. SEE ALSO
diff(1) diffutils 2.8.1 April 2002 DIFF(1)