Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - multiple and nested if-then-else Post 303038733 by RudiC on Thursday 12th of September 2019 11:34:53 AM
Old 09-12-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdole
... What I would like to do if possible is ( don't take care about the {} syntax; it is just to explain my thought) :

To explain what i want I am going to use pseudo code so forget missing ';' or missing {} :

That's EXACTLY the point - you CAN'T "forget missing ... {}". You HAVE to "take care about the {} syntax" as they support / convey the logics. action n in an if construct is a - one or multiple statement - block of code to be executed if the relevant condition is true. Inside the block, you can have other constructs, whatever the programming language provides.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested Loop to Echo Multiple Arrays

I have three arrays which hold three elements each. I have a fourth array which contains the names of those three arrays. I'm having difficulty creating a nested loop that can loop through each array and echo their values. script #!/bin/ksh # array of locations (usa, london, australia)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yongho
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk 2 delimiter nested

Hello All, This work could be very easy for you guys. I would really appreciate help. input file: output file: (Desired) What I am capable of doing: Command: cat inputfile | awk -F\| '{print "num="$1" value="$2" digits="$3" name1="$4" file="$5" code="$6}' > outputfile Result what I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyroshni
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed in awk ? or nested awk ?

Hey all, Can I put sed command inside the awk action ?? If not then can i do grep in the awk action ?? For ex: awk '$1=="174" { ppid=($2) ; sed -n '/$ppid/p' tempfind.txt ; }' tempfind.txt Assume: 174 is string. Assume: tempfind.txt is used for awk and sed both. tempfind.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nested if with multiple conditions

Deal Experts I am working on a script to find a date which is 7 days older and follwoing is my approach #!/bin/sh Yr=`date +"%Y"` Mn=`date +"%m"` Md=28 Da=`date +"%d"` echo $Yr echo $Mn echo $Da var1=$Yr$Mn$Da echo "before" $var1 if expr $Da > 7 then Da=`expr $Da - 7`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetnsourabh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested case inside awk

please let me know if the below code could be written efficiently inside single awk case "$INP" in ksh) cat catalog | awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";} { print $2 } END {}' ;; pset) cat catalog | awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";} { print $3 } END {}' ;; dml) cat catalog | awk 'BEGIN {FS=",";} {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvsanthosh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with nested $s and quotations in bash / awk

Folks - newbie bash coder here and I'd like to get your help to make the code below work. As you can see, I was trying to count the total number of lines with the 3rd value >= 15 in a file and wanted to make the threshold "15" configurable, but apparently the $THRESHOLD value was not populated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashzipper
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested awk Statements

Hello again everyone, yes, I'm back again for more help! So I'm attempting to read two separate files and generate some XML code from that. My current code is: BEGIN { print "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\">" print "<Export>" } { x=1; print "<section name=\"Query" NR "\">"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell command need to parse multiple nested tag value of a XML file

I have this XML file - <gp> <mms>1110012</mms> <tg>988</tg> <mm>LongTime</mm> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Desti = Motion</lkid> <kk>12</kk> </lv> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Source = Velocity</lkid> <kk>2</kk> </lv> <lv> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedASolution
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk nested looping?

I am trying to parse a text file and send its output to another file but I am having trouble conceptualizing how I am supposed to do this in awk. The text file has a organization like so: Name Date Status Location (city, state, zip fields) Where each of these is on a separate line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kellyanneghj
1 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux