Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Strange results from 'strings | sort' Post 303038696 by edstevens on Wednesday 11th of September 2019 02:01:09 PM
Old 09-11-2019
OK, for the OS:

Code:
oracle:$ uname -a
Linux <redacted server>.<redacted domain> 3.8.13-118.4.2.el6uek.x86_64 #2 SMP Tue Mar 22 20:47:10 PDT 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm not sure how to determine the exact version of 'sort'. The bottom of the man page shows this:

Code:
GNU coreutils 8.4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort find results

Hi-- Ok. I have now found that: find -x -ls will do what I need as far as finding all files on a particular volume. Now I need to sort the results by the file's modification date/time. Is there a way to do that? Also, I notice that for many files, whereas the man for find says ls is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
8 Replies

2. AIX

Strange ls results..

Multipart question.. Can anybody explain why this happens : -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 Feb 13 21:45 filename1.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1760706 Feb 10 22:10 filename2.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1525805 Aug 16 2005 filename3.log -rw-rw-r-- 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Results

I am using th following to get the percentage and have never used bc before: percent=$(echo "scale=4;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.884600 percent=$(echo "scale=2;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.00 Why do I get the results of 8.00 instead of 8.88 when using a scale of 2. I only want 2 decimal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariaa33
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command - strange behaviour

Hi guys, I have the following example data: A;00:00:19 B;00:01:02 C;00:00:13 D;00:00:16 E;00:02:27 F;00:00:12 G;00:00:21 H;00:00:19 I;00:00:13 J;00:13:22 I run the following sort against it, yet the output is as follows: sort -t";" +1 -nr example_data.dat A;00:00:19 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange results from FDISK?????

Hi all, I am writing script that returns the size of each disk or partition when called. I am using FDISK -l and parsing the results to get the result I want. When I execute fdisk -l it shows correct results, BUT when I execute the same thing with results to be put in a variable, I get strange... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort folder results

Here is the code, but the list is not sorted properly (alphabetically)? <?php function folderlist(){ $startdir = './'; $ignoredDirectory = '.'; $ignoredDirectory = '..'; if (is_dir($startdir)){ if ($dh = opendir($startdir)){ while (($folder = readdir($dh)) !== false){ if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort find results

Hi, I have a problem with a shell script. The script should find all .cpp and .h files and list them. With: for file in `find $src -name '*.h' -o -name '*.cpp' it gives out this: H:\FileList\A\E\F\G\newCppFile.cpp H:\FileList\header01.h H:\FileList\B\nextCppFile.cpp ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellBeginner75
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsync in progress, strange results

Disclaimer, I've been a Linux admin for a while but don't frequently setup rsysnc jobs. Here's the command I'm running on CentOS 5.5, rsync 2.6.8: rsync -arvz --progress --compress-level=9 /src/ /dest/ /src has 1.5 TB of data, /dest/ is a new destination and started out empy. Oh ya, both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find with rm command gives strange results

I want to remove any files that are older than 2 days from a directory. It deletes those files. Then it comes back with a message it is a directory. What am I doing wrong here? + find /mydir -mtime +2 -exec rm -f '{}' ';' rm: /mydir is a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange sort -r results

Hi Folks - I have this file that looks like this: outbox/logs/Client_1042.log outbox/logs/Client_941.log outbox/logs/Client_942.log outbox/logs/Client_943.log outbox/logs/Client_944.log And this is my code: #!/bin/bash _OUTBOX_BIN="outbox/logs/" _NAME="Client" _TEMP="temp.txt"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies
LOOK(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   LOOK(1)

NAME
look - find lines in a sorted list SYNOPSIS
look [ -dfnixtc ] [ string ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Look consults a sorted file and prints all lines that begin with string. It uses binary search. The following options are recognized. Options dfnt affect comparisons as in sort(1). -i Interactive. There is no string argument; instead look takes lines from the standard input as strings to be looked up. -x Exact. Print only lines of the file whose key matches string exactly. -d `Directory' order: only letters, digits, tabs and blanks participate in comparisons. -f Fold. Upper case letters compare equal to lower case. -n Numeric comparison with initial string of digits, optional minus sign, and optional decimal point. -t[c] Character c terminates the sort key in the file. By default, tab terminates the key. If c is missing the entire line comprises the key. If no file is specified, /lib/words is assumed, with collating sequence df. FILES
/lib/words SOURCE
/src/cmd/look.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), grep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
The exit status is ``not found'' if no match is found, and ``no dictionary'' if file or the default dictionary cannot be opened. LOOK(1)