Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Strange results from 'strings | sort' Post 303038693 by edstevens on Wednesday 11th of September 2019 12:28:44 PM
Old 09-11-2019
Strange results from 'strings | sort'

Using the 'strings' command and piping the result to 'sort' is producing strange results. I get block of lines that begin with asterisks, then a block that begins with some text, then more lines that begin with asterisks. The actual content is correct - lines beginning with asterisks is the actual content of the file. My question is about the resulting sort order. Within a grouping things are in order, but I don't understand why the lines beginning with an asterisk are broken into two groups, separated by a group of lines that begin with an alphabetic character.

Code:
oracle:mydb$ strings spfilemydb.ora | sort
*.audit_file_dest='/u01/app/oracle/admin/mydb/adump'
*.audit_sys_operations=TRUE
*.audit_trail='DB'
*.compatible='12.1.
*.control_files='+DEV_DATA/mydb/controlfile/control01.ctl','+DEV_DATA/mydb/controlfile/control02.ctl'#Restore Controlfile
*.db_block_size=8192
*.db_create_file_dest='+DEV_DATA'
*.db_domain=''
*.db_file_name_convert='+DATA/dwprd/datafile','+DEV_DATA/MYDB/DATAFILE','+DATA/dwprd','+DEV_DATA/mydb'
*.db_name='MYDB'#Reset to original value by RMAN
*.diagnostic_dest='/u01/app/oracle'
*.dispatchers='(PROTOCOL=TCP) (SERVICE=mydbXDB)'
mydb.__data_transfer_cache_size=0
mydb.__db_cache_size=1392508928
mydb.__java_pool_size=167772160
mydb.__large_pool_size=251658240
mydb.__oracle_base='/u01/app/oracle'#ORACLE_BASE set from environment
mydb.__pga_aggregate_target=436207616
mydb.__sga_target=2147483648
mydb.__shared_io_pool_size=0
mydb.__shared_pool_size=318767104
mydb.__streams_pool_size=0
*.event=''
*.java_pool_size=167772160
*.job_queue_
*.local_listener='(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=REGISTER)))'
*.log_archive_dest_1='location=/backup/mydb/archive'
*.open_cursors=300
*.pga_aggregate_limit=2147483648
processes=1000
*.processes=300
*.remote_login_passwordfile='EXCLUSIVE'
*.sga_max_size=2147483648
*.sga_target=2147483648
*.shared_pool_reserved_size=8388608
*.shared_pool_size=255852544

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort find results

Hi-- Ok. I have now found that: find -x -ls will do what I need as far as finding all files on a particular volume. Now I need to sort the results by the file's modification date/time. Is there a way to do that? Also, I notice that for many files, whereas the man for find says ls is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
8 Replies

2. AIX

Strange ls results..

Multipart question.. Can anybody explain why this happens : -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 Feb 13 21:45 filename1.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1760706 Feb 10 22:10 filename2.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1525805 Aug 16 2005 filename3.log -rw-rw-r-- 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Results

I am using th following to get the percentage and have never used bc before: percent=$(echo "scale=4;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.884600 percent=$(echo "scale=2;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.00 Why do I get the results of 8.00 instead of 8.88 when using a scale of 2. I only want 2 decimal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariaa33
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command - strange behaviour

Hi guys, I have the following example data: A;00:00:19 B;00:01:02 C;00:00:13 D;00:00:16 E;00:02:27 F;00:00:12 G;00:00:21 H;00:00:19 I;00:00:13 J;00:13:22 I run the following sort against it, yet the output is as follows: sort -t";" +1 -nr example_data.dat A;00:00:19 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange results from FDISK?????

Hi all, I am writing script that returns the size of each disk or partition when called. I am using FDISK -l and parsing the results to get the result I want. When I execute fdisk -l it shows correct results, BUT when I execute the same thing with results to be put in a variable, I get strange... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort folder results

Here is the code, but the list is not sorted properly (alphabetically)? <?php function folderlist(){ $startdir = './'; $ignoredDirectory = '.'; $ignoredDirectory = '..'; if (is_dir($startdir)){ if ($dh = opendir($startdir)){ while (($folder = readdir($dh)) !== false){ if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort find results

Hi, I have a problem with a shell script. The script should find all .cpp and .h files and list them. With: for file in `find $src -name '*.h' -o -name '*.cpp' it gives out this: H:\FileList\A\E\F\G\newCppFile.cpp H:\FileList\header01.h H:\FileList\B\nextCppFile.cpp ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellBeginner75
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsync in progress, strange results

Disclaimer, I've been a Linux admin for a while but don't frequently setup rsysnc jobs. Here's the command I'm running on CentOS 5.5, rsync 2.6.8: rsync -arvz --progress --compress-level=9 /src/ /dest/ /src has 1.5 TB of data, /dest/ is a new destination and started out empy. Oh ya, both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find with rm command gives strange results

I want to remove any files that are older than 2 days from a directory. It deletes those files. Then it comes back with a message it is a directory. What am I doing wrong here? + find /mydir -mtime +2 -exec rm -f '{}' ';' rm: /mydir is a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange sort -r results

Hi Folks - I have this file that looks like this: outbox/logs/Client_1042.log outbox/logs/Client_941.log outbox/logs/Client_942.log outbox/logs/Client_943.log outbox/logs/Client_944.log And this is my code: #!/bin/bash _OUTBOX_BIN="outbox/logs/" _NAME="Client" _TEMP="temp.txt"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies
look(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   look(1)

NAME
look - Finds lines in a sorted list SYNOPSIS
look [-df] [-tcharacter] string [file] The look command prints all lines in a sorted file that begin with string. OPTIONS
Uses dictionary order; only letters, digits, tabs, and spaces are used in comparisons. Searches without regard to case; treats uppercase and lowercase as equivalent. Ignores character and characters following it in the search string. If you specify look -tC ABCDE, the string ABCDE would become (in effect) AB, with CDE being ignored. This option is primarily for shell scripts, in which more than one string is being processed. DESCRIPTION
If no file is specified, look searches in the system word list /usr/share/dict/words, with the options -df assumed by default. The look command uses binary search. The -d and -f options affect comparisons as in sort. NOTES
In order to use the -f option, you must first sort file with the sort -f command; otherwise, look displays only lowercase items. If you do not specify -f, but specify a file (such as /usr/share/dict/words) that has been sorted with sort -f, look may not produce any output. EXAMPLES
To search a sorted file called sortfile for all lines that begin with the string as, enter: look as sortfile To search the system word list for all words beginning with smi, enter: look smi This might result in: smile smirk smith smithereens Smithfield Smithson smithy smitten FILES
System word list. SEE ALSO
Commands: grep(1), sort(1), spell(1) look(1)