Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script to tail a file with unknown numbers Post 303038680 by encrypt_decrypt on Wednesday 11th of September 2019 07:40:22 AM
Old 09-11-2019
The ask to check number of files varies from time to time
and some time full logs are asked
so to put it in script in need to give an option with some 'read' syntax that it could get either 100000 or 200000 or full
so how to read that input which can vary

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

retain Line numbers.. in Vi .. OR .. A SHELL SCRIPT

Hello everybody ! GOT SOMETHING INTERESTING... I am trying to retain line number for a text document.. usually we get line numbers in VI using :set nu , but I want to permanently store them. It's a 4000 lines of text and I want grep/search it for a list of words/fields stored in a different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add numbers in shell script

cat dailyreports | grep "Important list" | awk -F":" '{print $2}' | awk -F" " '{print $1}' hey guys, after running the above combination of cat and awk, i get the below output: 3 4 2 9 now, i need to add these numbers up all in one line. i dont know what to add to that cat and awk one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I feed numbers from awk(1) to tail(1)?

Hello, I am too daft to remember how to properly feed numbers that I've extracted with awk(1) to tail(1). The actual question is probably a lot more simple than the context, but let me give you the context anyway: I've just received some email that was sent with MS Outlook and arrived in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or Tail in shell script

Hi, I am writing a shell script that checks catalina logs on a production system and mails me if it detects errors. It greps the logs for known errors which i have defined as variables. The problem is the logs are huge, approx 30,000 before they rotate. So I am forced to use grep instead... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get my script to monitor a new file using tail?

Hi, I have a script which basically watches a log file for new lines using tail, then takes action based on what is logged. I wrote a script to do this for me and its working great, my only problem is that once per week, this log file is archived to another directory, and a new log is created.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lstorm2003
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check numbers!

Hello All, I have 3 types of files. The names of which starts with P,I,M like P********* D********* M********* now I need to do some operations witht hese files.. so if file name starts with P or p then do the operation for P file... fi else (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculation using awk or shell script in between the numbers

file A E969K D223L E400L E34L file B predicted 3 1 250 251 500 501 1000 The output should be E969K 501 1000 D223L 1 250 E400L 251 500 E34L 1 250 I tried in this way (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to tail file; problem with awk and special characters

Trying to use code that I found to send only new lines out of a log file by doing: while :; do temp=$(tail -1 logfile.out) awk "/$last/{p=1}p" logfile.out #pipe this to log analyzer program last="$temp" sleep 10 done Script works fine when logfile is basic text, but when it contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moo72moo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tail -f multi logfile in 1 shell script.?

Hello, How to tail -f multi logfile from multi path in 1 shell script. File & Path /usr/home/localmode/mode110l/log/logic/number110/digit110_digit110m4_2013050210.txt /usr/home/localmode/mode103l/log/logic/number103/digit103_digit103m4_2013050210.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell: Count The sum of numbers in a file

Hi all; Here is my file: V1.3=4 V1.4=5 V1.1=3 V1.2=6 V1.3=6 Please, can you help me to write a script shell that counts the sum of values in my file (4+5+3+6+6) ? Thank you so much for help. Kind regards. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
3 Replies
LAST, LASTB(1)							   User Commands						    LAST, LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show a listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [options] [username...] [tty...] lastb [options] [username...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
last searches back through the /var/log/wtmp file (or the file designated by the -f option) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. One or more usernames and/or ttys can be given, in which case last will show only the entries matching those arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When catching a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal, last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all the reboots since the log file was created. lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the /var/log/btmp file, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-a, --hostlast Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the --dns option. -d, --dns For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host, but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -f, --file file Tell last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. The --file option can be given multiple times, and all of the specified files will be processed. -F, --fulltimes Print full login and logout times and dates. -i, --ip Like --dns , but displays the host's IP number instead of the name. -number -n, --limit number Tell last how many lines to show. -p, --present time Display the users who were present at the specified time. This is like using the options --since and --until together with the same time. -R, --nohostname Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -s, --since time Display the state of logins since the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to easily determine who was logged in at a particular time. The option is often combined with --until. -t, --until time Display the state of logins until the specified time. --time-format format Define the output timestamp format to be one of notime, short, full, or iso. The notime variant will not print any timestamps at all, short is the default, and full is the same as the --fulltimes option. The iso variant will display the timestamp in ISO-8601 format. The ISO format contains timezone information, making it preferable when printouts are investigated outside of the system. -w, --fullnames Display full user names and domain names in the output. -x, --system Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. TIME FORMATS
The options that take the time argument understand the following formats: YYYYMMDDhhmmss YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm (seconds will be set to 00) YYYY-MM-DD (time will be set to 00:00:00) hh:mm:ss (date will be set to today) hh:mm (date will be set to today, seconds to 00) now yesterday (time is set to 00:00:00) today (time is set to 00:00:00) tomorrow (time is set to 00:00:00) +5min -5days NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configu- ration issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> AVAILABILITY
The last command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. SEE ALSO
login(1), wtmp(5), init(8), shutdown(8) util-linux October 2013 LAST, LASTB(1)