Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Your site has been switched to Mobile First Indexing Post 303038668 by Neo on Wednesday 11th of September 2019 12:46:20 AM
Old 09-11-2019
Update:

After sleeping on this change by Google (which we cannot reverse or control), and looking at Google Analysis as well as Google Search Console, I am not going to make any immediate code changes because all the stats show traffic continue to rise month-over-month (since April 2019). Our index of links with Google continues to grow, month over month.

So, I think better not to make any major changes based on the Google change to "Your site has been switched to Mobile First Indexing" and monitor the situation week by week.

I also checked to see if there is any "much better" responsive forum software (that works great on both mobile and desktop) to port our DB over to; for example the latest version of vBulletin, Xenforo, etc. But after a quick look, I did not see any compelling reason to do this; because the issue with Google seems to be with forums in general.

If there was any modern, very good, forum software which looked great (mobile and desktop), was well supported and had the tools to port our legacy vB database over to the new forum, I would consider this; but I do not think there are any good options out there.

So, I better not make any major knee-jerk reactions (code changes) to something Google has done which I don't really understand well.

If anyone has more information or suggestions, based on knowledge of what Google is doing here, please reply.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

port access to site to site VPN

Setup a site to site VPN between two cisco routers. One of the site locations is unable to access ports such as https://example.com:9001 How do I let them go into port 9001? They can ssh, ftp, telnet and everything else. Is this a VPN issue or ACL access issue? I put permit ip host... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

indexing a file

hello guys, I have a file like this: input.dat Push-to-talk No Coonection IP support Support for IP telephony Yes Built-in SIP stack Yes Support via software Yes Microsoft Support for Microsoft Exchange Yes UMA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to establish site to site vpn - Linux machine and cisco asa?

Hi, I am trying to establish vpn between my linux server and cisco asa at client side. I installed openswan on my cent os. Linux Server eth0 - 182.2.29.10 Gateway - 182.2.29.1 eth1 - 192.9.200.75 I have simple IPtables Like WAN="eth0" LAN="eth1" (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Does cisco 1921 router support site to site VPNs using IPSec?

Q: "Does Cisco 1921 router support,, act as an endpoint for, site to site VPNs using IPSec? If so, how many? " A: If you get the Cisco 1921/k9 with the security services bundle then it will have built in security features. Cisco, typically includes IP Sec tunnels I believe as part of that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaerlee
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

IPSec Openswan Site to Site VPN - Big Pain

Hi @all, I try to connect 2 LANs with IPSec/Openswan LAN 1: 192.168.0.0/24 LAN 2: 192.168.1.0/24 This is my Config: conn HomeVPN # # Left security gateway, subnet behind it, nexthop toward right. left=192.168.1.29 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bahnhasser83
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Node switched itself from static to DHCP on reboot issue

I'm trying to figure out what circumstances would cause an Open Solaris 11.2 host to switch itself from a static to a DHCP ip address upon reboot. This has only happened once but is a cause for some concern as this machine will be part of a web server pool. Nothing has changed on the LAN that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

New UNIX.COM Mobile Site Icons

Having given up for the time being with a very difficult game engine project to virtualizing cyberspace, am working on the forums again. Just updated a few icons on the mobile site. Explanations in the picture captions: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums214-picture855.jpeg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Mobile Thanks Now Visible in Mobile

Hey, I have enable post thanks (viewing thanks, not yet giving thanks) in mobile: https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums214-picture1018.jpeg I plan to also add the button to "give thanks on mobile. In addition, I will change the formatting (color and justification) of this new mobile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
GOOGLE-SITEMAPGEN(1)					      General Commands Manual					      GOOGLE-SITEMAPGEN(1)

NAME
google-sitemapgen -- simple script to automate production of sitemaps for a webserver SYNOPSIS
google-sitemapgen [--testing] [--help] [--config=config.xml] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the google-sitemapgen command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. google-sitemapgen is a program that automatically produces sitemaps for a webserver, in the Google Sitemap Protocol (GSP). Sitemap files are XML listings of content you make available on your web server. The files can be directly submitted to search engines as hints for the search engine web crawlers as they index your web site. This can result in better coverage of your web content in search engine indices, and less of your bandwidth spent doing it. OPTIONS
--config=config.xml Specify the location of the configuration config.xml --testing Used to test the sitemap generator configuration. --help Display a summary of options and exit. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/google-sitemapgen/examples/example_config.xml.gz AUTHOR
Google Sitemap was originally written by Google Code <opensource@google.com>. This manual page was written by Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version pub- lished by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. GOOGLE-SITEMAPGEN(1)