Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris IPMP group failed on Solaris 9 Post 303038600 by hicksd8 on Saturday 7th of September 2019 08:58:02 AM
Old 09-07-2019
@MadeInGermany........................That's an interesting point you make. AFAIR port aggregation was around long before multi-pathing (IPMP) as it's a simpler technology (isn't it??).

I assumed that since this is Solaris 9 we were talking aggregation and, from the posts, it sounded to me that one port going down (perhaps by unplugging the cable) stopped all communication thereby indicating that the other aggregated port was already down.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question in the first place. I had real difficulty getting a handle on it.

Yes, okay, I know that we techies are continuing a thread that's already tagged as solved.

Last edited by hicksd8; 09-07-2019 at 10:32 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing (IPMP) Help

Hello All, I work for a Health care company at a local trauma hospital. I maintain a Picture Archiving and Communication System (PAC's). Basically, any medical images (X-Ray, CT, MRI, Mammo, etc) are stored digitally on the servers for viewing and dictation from diagnostic stations. I took over... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegeek
10 Replies

2. Solaris

Does Veritas Cluster work with IPMP on Solaris 10?

Does Veritas Cluster work with IPMP on Solaris 10? If anyone has set it up do you have a doc or tips? I have heard several different statements ranging from , not working at all to Yes it works! Great How? * Test and Base IPs???? * configure the MultiNICB agent ? I can give details... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dfezz1
1 Replies

3. Solaris

IPMP group failure when gateway not detected

A problem happened with me, I was configuring IP for two network interfaces, and when I rebooted the system, everything is working but after like 3 or 5 minutes it will tell me that the whole IPMP group has failed ! I tried to troubleshoot, so I found that the gateway is not reachable..so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sun Fire
4 Replies

4. Solaris

how to configure IPMP in solaris 9

Hi friends , can anyone provide me the complete steps to configure IPMP in solaris 9 or 10 provided i have two NIC card ? regards jagan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaganblore
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris IPMP

Can any one please explain me the concept behind IPMP in solaris clustering.Basic explanation would be really appreciated... Thanks in Advance vks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 branded zone with IPMP

All. I am trying to create a 10 branded zone on a Sol 11.1 T5. The Global is using IPMP...so aggregating is out of the question. Has anyone successfully created a branded zone with IPMP? If they have can you please show me the steps you took to get this to run. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeroforce
4 Replies

7. Solaris

IPMP over aggregate in Solaris 11

hi all, i start with solaris 11 and i am disapointed by the change on ip managing. i want to set a ipmp over tow aggregate but i dont find any doc and i am lost with the new commande switch1 net0 aggregate1 | net1 aggregate1 |-----| |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sylvain
1 Replies

8. Solaris

New to Solaris IPMP (conversion from Linux)

Hi all, I been reading examples of how to setup IPMP and how it differs from Etherchannel. However, i am still unsure of how it really works and i hope gurus here can shed some light on the questions I have below while i will lab it up for my own test -> q1) for IPMP, there is no such thing... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
23 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 IPMP - failback=no

Hi all, Just a few questions -> Is an "OFFLINE" interface going back to "ONLINE" consider as a failback by IPMP ? I have "FAILBACK=no" in my /etc/default/mpathd; however when i do the following (igb0 and igb7 are in the same ipmp link based group) q1) why does "if_mpadm -r igb7" cause... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
0 Replies
if_mpadm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      if_mpadm(1M)

NAME
if_mpadm - administer interfaces in an IP multipathing group SYNOPSIS
if_mpadm -d | -r ifname DESCRIPTION
The if_mpadm utility administers IP interfaces that are part of an IP Multipathing (IPMP) group. Currently, administration is limited to offlining IP interfaces and undoing previous offline operations. When an IP interface is taken offline, all IP data traffic that was flowing over the IP interface is moved to another IP interface in the IPMP group. In addition, all UP IP addresses hosted on the IP interface are brought down, causing in.mpathd(1M) to stop probe-based failure detection on the IP interface. As a result, an offline IP interface will not be used for any inbound or outbound IP traffic. Only IP inter- faces that are in an IPMP group may be brought offline. If the IP interface is the last functioning interface in the IPMP group, the off- line operation will fail. When an offline operation is undone, any IP addresses hosted on that IP interface are brought UP and will be considered by in.mpathd for probe-based failure detection. In addition, provided the IP interface is otherwise active (see in.mpathd(1M)), it will again be used to send and receive IP data traffic for the IPMP group. Note that not all offline operations can be undone. For instance, in.mpathd may have offlined an IP interface because its hardware address was not unique within its IPMP group. The ipmpstat utility can be used to determine why an IP interface is offline, identify which IP interfaces in a group are being used for inbound and outbound IP traffic, and more; see ipmpstat(1M). OPTIONS
The if_mpadm utility supports the following options: -d ifname Offline the IP interface specified by ifname. If ifname is not in an IPMP group, or the offline would cause the IPMP group to lose network connectivity, the operation will fail. -r ifname Undo a previous offline of the IP interface specified by ifname. If ifname is not offline, the operation will fail. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Offlining an IP Interface The following command offlines the IP interface under0, causing any IP packets that were being sent and received through it to be handled by another IP interface in its group. example% if_mpadm -d under0 Example 2 Undoing a Previous Offline Operation Use the following command to undo the operation in the previous example: example% if_mpdadm -r under0 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), in.mpathd(1M), ipmpstat(1M), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cannot offline: no other functioning interfaces are in its IPMP group. Description: This message means that offlining the IP interface would leave the IPMP group without network connectivity. cannot offline: not a physical interface or not in an IPMP group Description: This means that the IP interface is not an underlying interface in an IPMP group, and therefore is not eligible to be offlined. SunOS 5.11 5 Jan 2009 if_mpadm(1M)