Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) How can I direct messages from mac console.app to a log file? Post 303038513 by Neo on Thursday 5th of September 2019 01:56:10 AM
Old 09-05-2019
Thanks.

It looks like the level of detail you are looking for is not available in system_profiler and you may have no choice but to use the logfiles (syslog) as you were doing (indirectly via console.app).

Console.app automatically shows system.log, and other log files, so you don't need to redirect entries from console.app but you need to find the (syslog) file which console.app used.

Make sense?

Example:

Code:
/var/log/system.log

You can monitor it easily using tail -f /var/log/system.log

Reference: see also the "logger" (man logger) and "syslog" (man syslog).

Please post back with the details of which log file you found had the information you need.

Thanks.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-direct the error msg to log file

Hi All, I have an expression as follows:- a=`expr ${i} + ${j}` >> $log_file 2>&1 Here, if any of the values i or j or both happens to be empty then the "expr" returns error as "expr: 0402-050 Syntax error." My problem is I am not able to re-direct this error to the log file. Its is getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rony_daniel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Direct the output of a script to a log file

Hi, I have a script to compare 2 files. file1=$1 file2=$2 num_of_records_file1=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file1` num_of_records_file2=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file2` i=1 while do sed -n "$i"p $file1 > file1_temp sed -n "$i"p $file2 > file2_temp diff file1_temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: autosys_nm
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set default app for file type on Mac

Hi there, We have 2 apps on our customers machines that can both open files with the same file extension. Is there any way via shell commands to set which application should be the default? Essentially, I'm hoping to replicate Get Info > Open With > Change All using a shell script, but I just... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Mac .sh to run command line app in seperate terminal

Hello, currently we are executing a .sh from terminal. The current .sh looks like this: #!/usr/bin/env bash /Users/user/my.app/Contents/MacOS/my & -- Now, we also need to run a third line in the .sh - It's a command line application that I need to run when I execute the above .sh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyoyo777
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

re-direct to log file

#!/bin/ksh -x cd /tmp/tj ftp -n servername.com << DONE user username password as put test.log quit close DONE echo "testing..." sh -x scriptname, and it shows all, but username, as, put, quit, close, DONE. how can i see those ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating sed Direct Input to Direct Output

Hi guys, been scratching round the forums and my mountain of resources. Maybe I havn't read deep enough My question is not how sed edits a stream and outputs it to a file, rather something like this below: I have a .txt with some text in it :rolleyes: abc:123:xyz 123:abc:987... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the0nion
7 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Best practice to allow 3rd party app to read messages file.

What is the best practice to allow a 3rd party health monitoring app to read the messages file. Since messages is a system file and is owned by root the app cannot read the file. I don't want to run the app as root so how should I allow the app to read the file. The read function is actually built... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slwiley
2 Replies
AVG_SHOWCAMERA(1)						   User Commands						 AVG_SHOWCAMERA(1)

NAME
avg_showcamera - camera discovery and display tool SYNOPSIS
avg_showcamera -l avg_showcamera -r avg_showcamera -t DRIVER [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Query and list attached cameras, reset firewire bus, show video stream. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show a brief description of the options. -l, --dump Dump a list of available cameras to the console. -r, --resetbus Reset the firewire bus and free allocated bandwidth. -t, --driver DRIVER One of the camera subsystems supported by libavg (supported: firewire, video4linux, directshow). -d, --device DEVICE Camera device identifier (depending on the driver, a GUID or device path is expected). -u, --unit UNIT Unit number. Used for cameras or other capture devices which deliver several images (e.g. stereo cameras or TV capture cards). -w, --width WIDTH Camera image width. -e, --height HEIGHT Camera image height. -p, --pixelformat PIXELFORMAT Camera pixel format (one of: I8, I16, YUV411, YUV422, YUYV422, RGB, BGR, BAYER8). -f, --framerate FRAMERATE Frames per second. -8, --fw800 Set firewire bus speed to s800 (if supported). -s, --noinfo Don't show any info overlayed on the screen. AUTHOR
Ulrich von Zadow <coder@c-base.org> libavg 1.7.0 November 2011 AVG_SHOWCAMERA(1)