Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux cant cd into directory and part of group Post 303038345 by Neo on Friday 30th of August 2019 10:43:22 PM
Old 08-30-2019
Did you try to cd into that directory as root for troubleshooting purposes?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Group Priveleges on same directory?

On my FTP server (Darwin/Mac OS X -- pretty much FreeBSD), I need to apply the following permissions to a directory: 1. A specific owner with full access 2. A specific group with full access 3. A specific group with read-only access 4. No access whatsoever for everyone else I understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TyHockett
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add permission of directory to a group

Hi, A simple and silly question on Unix. I have a directory named "a" and I would like to grant permission to group name "text" to access, read and execute my directory. Could anyone help me? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help required to group output and print a part of group line and original line

Hi, Need awk help to group and print lines to format the output as shown below INPUT FORMAT set echo on set heading on set spool on /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T1; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T2; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T3; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T4; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T5;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: How to get part of the directory name?

How can I write a script that determines the directory the user is in, and displays that path up until a particular point? Specifically, I need to find the text "packages" in the directory name, then I need to capture that directory and the one below it. For example, if the user is in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickS
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting part of directory after a certain /

i have a directory like this: i want to get the subpaths: /home/user/public_html/a/b subpath= a/b /home/user/public_html/a/b/c subpath= a/b/c i can get the user like echo $fulldirectory |awk -F/ '{print $3}' but im not sure how to get the rest of it after public_html any ideas?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies
MKDIR(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  MKDIR(2)

NAME
mkdir - create a directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> int mkdir(const char *pathname, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
mkdir attempts to create a directory named pathname. mode specifies the permissions to use. It is modified by the process's umask in the usual way: the permissions of the created file are (mode & ~umask). The newly created directory will be owned by the effective uid of the process. If the directory containing the file has the set group id bit set, or if the filesystem is mounted with BSD group semantics, the new directory will inherit the group ownership from its parent; oth- erwise it will be owned by the effective gid of the process. If the parent directory has the set group id bit set then so will the newly created directory. RETURN VALUE
mkdir returns zero on success, or -1 if an error occurred (in which case, errno is set appropriately). ERRORS
EPERM The filesystem containing pathname does not support the creation of directories. EEXIST pathname already exists (not necessarily as a directory). This includes the case where pathname is a symbolic link, dangling or not. EFAULT pathname points outside your accessible address space. EACCES The parent directory does not allow write permission to the process, or one of the directories in pathname did not allow search (execute) permission. ENAMETOOLONG pathname was too long. ENOENT A directory component in pathname does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in pathname is not, in fact, a directory. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. EROFS pathname refers to a file on a read-only filesystem. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving pathname. ENOSPC The device containing pathname has no room for the new directory. ENOSPC The new directory cannot be created because the user's disk quota is exhausted. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX, BSD, SYSV, X/OPEN. SVr4 documents additional EIO, EMULTIHOP and ENOLINK error conditions; POSIX.1 omits ELOOP. There are many infelicities in the protocol underlying NFS. Some of these affect mkdir. SEE ALSO
mkdir(1), chmod(2), mknod(2), mount(2), rmdir(2), stat(2), umask(2), unlink(2) Linux 1.0 1994-03-29 MKDIR(2)