Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux cant cd into directory and part of group Post 303038345 by Neo on Friday 30th of August 2019 10:43:22 PM
Old 08-30-2019
Did you try to cd into that directory as root for troubleshooting purposes?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Group Priveleges on same directory?

On my FTP server (Darwin/Mac OS X -- pretty much FreeBSD), I need to apply the following permissions to a directory: 1. A specific owner with full access 2. A specific group with full access 3. A specific group with read-only access 4. No access whatsoever for everyone else I understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TyHockett
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add permission of directory to a group

Hi, A simple and silly question on Unix. I have a directory named "a" and I would like to grant permission to group name "text" to access, read and execute my directory. Could anyone help me? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help required to group output and print a part of group line and original line

Hi, Need awk help to group and print lines to format the output as shown below INPUT FORMAT set echo on set heading on set spool on /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T1; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T2; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T3; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T4; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T5;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: How to get part of the directory name?

How can I write a script that determines the directory the user is in, and displays that path up until a particular point? Specifically, I need to find the text "packages" in the directory name, then I need to capture that directory and the one below it. For example, if the user is in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickS
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting part of directory after a certain /

i have a directory like this: i want to get the subpaths: /home/user/public_html/a/b subpath= a/b /home/user/public_html/a/b/c subpath= a/b/c i can get the user like echo $fulldirectory |awk -F/ '{print $3}' but im not sure how to get the rest of it after public_html any ideas?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies
CHROOT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 CHROOT(2)

NAME
chroot -- change root directory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chroot(const char *dirname); DESCRIPTION
Dirname is the address of the pathname of a directory, terminated by an ASCII NUL. chroot() causes dirname to become the root directory, that is, the starting point for path searches of pathnames beginning with '/'. In order for a directory to become the root directory a process must have execute (search) access for that directory. If the program is not currently running with an altered root directory, it should be noted that chroot() has no effect on the process's cur- rent directory. If the program is already running with an altered root directory, the process's current directory is changed to the same new root directory. This prevents the current directory from being further up the directory tree than the altered root directory. This call is restricted to the super-user. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate an error. ERRORS
chroot() will fail and the root directory will be unchanged if: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path name is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named directory does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for any component of the path name. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. SEE ALSO
chdir(2) WARNINGS
There are ways for a root process to escape from the chroot jail. HISTORY
The chroot() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution