Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spaces in double quotes in variable ? Post 303038264 by stinkefisch on Thursday 29th of August 2019 07:02:45 AM
Old 08-29-2019
Spaces in double quotes in variable ?

Hi got this issue and was wondering if someone could please help out ?

Code:
var='."          "'
echo $var
." "

I 'll get ." " and not ." with 10 spaces in between "

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double Quotes within a variable

This is a totally dumb newbie question, but I have not been able to find t he answer in the BASH book or online. I am trying pass a double quoted variable to the command line. variable = "-b \"dc=example,dc=com\"" When I run sh -x the variable comes out as '-b "dc=example,dc=com"' is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: burton_1080
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print double quotes along with variable substitution

Hi, I am generating html code using cshell, but i am having one problem while printing double quotes, I need to write following code in file. where $var contains list of web address <a href="$var">$var</a> So i am using echo "<a href="$var">$var</a>" > file.html But with this " in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace spaces between quotes with a variable

I have lines with: elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?edificationtube.com$|www.edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.net edificationtube.org www.edificationtube.com edificationtube.net") { elseif (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?collegecontender.com$|www.collegecontender.com collegecontenders.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for inserting a variable containing single and double quotes

Hi i have to insert the below line into a specific line number of another file export MBR_CNT_PRCP_TYPE_CODES_DEL="'01','02','04','05','49','55','UNK'" I have passed the above line to a variable say ins_line. I have used below command to perform the insert awk 'NR==3{print "'"${ins_line}"'"}1'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathishteradata
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace spaces excluding those within double quotes and after backslash?

In bash or perl, I would like to know how to substitute a null character (0x00) for every white space without changing the white spaces inside the block of double quotes and the white space immediately following a backslash. Suppose that sample.txt consists of the following line. "b 1" c\ 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes and variable proble in echo

HI Guys, I want to echo below line in my file :- lpd | grep AL | nawk '{print "1dLA - " $0} How can i echo same Output (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass two words within double quotes as variable?

Hi All, OS - Suse 10 ksh --version version sh (AT&T Research) 93s+ 2008-01-31 I am passing two words within double quotes ("Application Developer") to script as variable, but script is adding two single quotes between two words like ("Application' 'Developer"). below is simple test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimitta
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies
INTVAL(3)								 1								 INTVAL(3)

intval - Get the integer value of a variable

SYNOPSIS
int intval (mixed $var, [int $base = 10]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the integer value of $var, using the specified $base for the conversion (the default is base 10). intval(3) should not be used on objects, as doing so will emit an E_NOTICE level error and return 1. PARAMETERS
o $var - The scalar value being converted to an integer o $base - The base for the conversion Note If $base is 0, the base used is determined by the format of $var: o if string includes a "0x" (or "0X") prefix, the base is taken as 16 (hex); otherwise, o if string starts with "0", the base is taken as 8 (octal); otherwise, o the base is taken as 10 (decimal). RETURN VALUES
The integer value of $var on success, or 0 on failure. Empty arrays return 0, non-empty arrays return 1. The maximum value depends on the system. 32 bit systems have a maximum signed integer range of -2147483648 to 2147483647. So for example on such a system, intval('1000000000000') will return 2147483647. The maximum signed integer value for 64 bit systems is 9223372036854775807. Strings will most likely return 0 although this depends on the leftmost characters of the string. The common rules of integer casting apply. EXAMPLES
Example #1 intval(3) examples The following examples are based on a 32 bit system. <?php echo intval(42); // 42 echo intval(4.2); // 4 echo intval('42'); // 42 echo intval('+42'); // 42 echo intval('-42'); // -42 echo intval(042); // 34 echo intval('042'); // 42 echo intval(1e10); // 1410065408 echo intval('1e10'); // 1 echo intval(0x1A); // 26 echo intval(42000000); // 42000000 echo intval(420000000000000000000); // 0 echo intval('420000000000000000000'); // 2147483647 echo intval(42, 8); // 42 echo intval('42', 8); // 34 echo intval(array()); // 0 echo intval(array('foo', 'bar')); // 1 ?> NOTES
Note The $base parameter has no effect unless the $var parameter is a string. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Throws E_NOTICE and returns 1, when an object is | | | passed to $var. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boolval(3), floatval(3), strval(3), settype(3), is_numeric(3), Type juggling, BCMath Arbitrary Precision Mathematics Functions. PHP Documentation Group INTVAL(3)