Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Controlling user input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Controlling user input Post 303038243 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 28th of August 2019 06:29:27 PM
Old 08-28-2019
It is pretty easy in C with fseek(stdin, 0, SEEK_END);, but I don't know of any portable (or even any way without explicit keyboard actions initiated by the user at the terminal) way to do that with shell code.

Have you considered writing this in C?

Note also that asking a question (e.g. Ready?) and expecting users not to respond seems like you're asking for unwanted input.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting user input

I am trying to create a shell (ksh) which has two "read" commands, one which reads a line from a file and another which is inside a loop that reads user input from a keyboard. However, the "read" command inside the loop uses the input from the file and it does not get the user input from keyboard.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accept user input?

how would i accept user input from the keyboard? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about user input

Hello all, How can i have a user input that reads like this: echo -n "Please enter a & b:" 10 20 read a read b echo $a echo $b 10 20 right now i have divided it into two echos, like echo -n "a: " echo -n "b: " (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrahmegni
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validating user input

I'm trying to set up a script that takes user input and validates that the user input was entered correctly. So far I have this: while : do echo "Please enter your name." read NAME if then echo "You have not entered a name." echo... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fufaso
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input - Perl need Help

If I want all user input to start with " : " if not display error or what I asking is how to do if statement that control a first letter of string that we want to start with. and not worry about the rest Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate user's input..?

$Input_filename=$ARGV; if (!-d $Input_filename && ! -e $Input_filename) { print "USAGE: Please enter '$ABCD/def/dsed.txt' as an arguement \n"; exit; } 1. Input Is suppose to be something like "$ABCD/def/dsed.txt". if the input is wrong the script should throw an ERROR message.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

"rhgb quiet" controlling the display of commands in single user mode ?"rhgb quiet" controlling the d

Why does removing "rhgb quiet" from the kernel boot parameters control whether or not the commands I enter are displayed in single user mode ? For instance, if I do not remove "rhgb quiet", when I am in single user mode, whatever command I type will not be displayed on the screen. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
CKEY(7) 						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						   CKEY(7)

NAME
ckey - The standard definition of each function key in cWnn system. DESCRIPTION
---------------------------------------------------------- | Function | Other | Description | Function | Function | | Keys | Keys | | In Input | In Input | | | | | State | State | | (a) | (b) | (c) | (d) | (e) | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^ |To toggle input| Similar to | Similar | | | | mode ON/OFF | (c) | to (c) | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | PF1 | - | To toggle | To Toggle | Similar | | | | phonetic input| among input| to (d) | | | | mode | methods | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | PF2 | - | To toggle | To toggle | Similar | | | | encoded input | among input| to (d) | | | | mode | methods | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | PF3 | - | To toggle | To toggle | Similar | | | | ASCII | among | to (d) | | | | character | different | | | | | input mode | ASCII | | | | | | character | | | | | | input | | | | | | methods | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | PF4 | - | Toggle other | To toggle | Similar | | | | input mode | among | to (d) | | | |(only in Pinyin| different | | | | | centred input | input | | | | | environment) | methods | | | | | + | + | | | | | Toggle the | Similar to | | | | | environment | (c) | | | | | operation | | | | | | functions | | | | | |(same as PF6) | | | | | |(only in Zhuyin| | | | | | centred input | | | | | | environment & | | | | | |Combined Pinyin| | | | | | & Zhuyin input| | | | | | environment | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | PF5 | - | To select the | Similar to | Similar | | | | different | (c) | to (c) | | | | input keys | | | | | | allocations | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | PF6 | - | To toggle the | To select | Similar | | | | environment | among the | to (d) | | | | operations | different | | | | | | environment| | | | | | operation | | | | | | functions | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^G | To quit the | Similar to | Similar | | | | environment | (c) | to (c) | | | | operation | | | | | | functions | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| |Conversion| ^W | To perform | Similar to | Similar | | key | | Hanzi | (c) | to (d) | | | | conversion | + | | | | | | To list out| | | | | | possible | | | | | | candidates | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| |Conversion| - | To extract a | - | Similar | | key | | candidate from| | to (c) | | | | the candidate | | | | | | list | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^Z | To treat the | Similar to | Similar | | | | input string | (c) | to (d) | | | | as a phrase & | + | | | | | perform phrase| To list out| | | | | conversion | possible | | | | | | phrase | | | | | | candidates | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | Confirm | ^L | To confirm the| Similar to | Similar | | key | | conversion | (c) | to (d) | | | | result | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | Confirm | - | To extract a | - | Similar | | key | | candidate | | to (c) | | | | from the | | | | | | candidate list| | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | Right | ^F | To move cursor| To move the| Similar | | arrow | | one position | cursor one | to (d) | | key | | to the right | unit to the| + | | | | during input | right | To move | | | | state, edit | | to the | | | | state, & when | | next | | | | using PF6 | | candidate| | | | functions | | on the | | | | | | right | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | Left | ^B | To move cursor| To move the| Similar | | arrow | | one position | cursor one | to (d) | | key | | to the left | unit to the| + | | | | during input | left | To move | | | | state, edit | | to the | | | | state, & when | | next | | | | using PF6 | | candidate| | | | functions | | on the | | | | | | left | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | Up | ^P | To move to the| Similar to | Similar | | arrow | | previous menu | (c) | to (c) | | key | | or previous | + | + | | | | set of | To recall | To obtain| | | | candidates. | the | the | | | | Also apply | previous | previous | | | | when using | input | single | | | | functions in | | candidate| | | | PF6 | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | Down | ^N | To move to the| Similar to | Similar | | arrow | | next menu or | (c) | to (c) | | key | | the next set | + | + | | | | of candidates.| To recall | To obtain| | | | Also apply | the | the | | | | when using | next input | next | | | | functions in | | single | | | | PF6 | | candidate| |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^D | To delete an | Similar to | Similar | | | | input unit | (c) | to (d) | | | | + | | | | | | Delete a word | | | | | | or character, | | | | | | or dictionary | | | | | | in the | | | | | | environment | | | | | | operations PF6| | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | Backspace| - | To delete an | Similar to | Similar | | key | | input | (c) | to (c) | | | | character | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^E | Move cursor to| Move cursor| Move the | | | | the last input| to the last| cursor to| | | | unit (end) or | unit of the| the last | | | | to the last | user input | candidate| | | | candidate of | string | in the | | | | the list. | | current | | | | Also apply | | set of | | | | when using | | candidate| | | | functions in | | | | | | PF6 | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^A | Move cursor to| Move cursor| Move the | | | | the first | to the | cursor to| | | | unit | first unit | the last | | | | (beginning) or| of the user| candidate| | | | to the first | input | in the | | | | candidate of | string | current | | | | of the list | | set of | | | | Also apply | | candidate| | | | when using | | | | | | functions in | | | | | | PF6 | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^K | To undo a | To delete | Similar | | | | conversion | an input | to (d) | | | | from the | string from| + | | | | cursor | the cursor | Similar | | | | position to | position to| to (c) | | | | the end of the| the end of | If press | | | | input string | the input | twice, | | | |(if press once)| string | will | | | | |(press once)| cancel | | | | | | the whole| | | | | | converted| | | | | | Hanzi | | | | | | string | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^I | To shorten the| - | Separate | | | | length of a | | a word | | | | word phrase by| | into | | | | one character | |individual| | | | | |characters| |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^O | To extend the | - | Join the | | | | length of a | |characters| | | | word phrase by| | into one | | | | one character | | word | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^G | To extract a | - | Similar | | | | candidate from| | to (c) | | | | the candidate | | | | | | list | | | |----------+-------+---------------+------------+----------| | - | ^C | To perform | - | Re-enter | | | | reverse | | into the | | | | conversion | | input or | | | | | | insert | | | | | | mode | | | | | | (if press| | | | | | once ) | | | | | | + | | | | | | Perform | | | | | | reverse | | | | | |conversion| | | | | | (if press| | | | | | twice ) | ---------------------------------------------------------- 13 May 1992 CKEY(7)