Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Controlling user input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Controlling user input Post 303038242 by darwin_886 on Wednesday 28th of August 2019 05:52:49 PM
Old 08-28-2019
Controlling user input

I'm trying to use a bash script for a psych experiment that involves listening to sound files and responding. If I have something like the code below, how can I make sure that a key press is assigned to RESPONSE only after the second echo statement?

Code:
for i in 1 2 3; do
 echo "Ready?"
 sleep 2
 mpg123 $i.mp3
 echo "Ok now you can respond. Press 1 if you liked it, 2 if you didn't."
 read -n 1 RESPONSE
done

Also, maybe this is the same question, but how can I make sure that if there are accidentally two or more key presses, that the extra presses are ignored instead of getting assigned to RESPONSE on the next iteration(s)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting user input

I am trying to create a shell (ksh) which has two "read" commands, one which reads a line from a file and another which is inside a loop that reads user input from a keyboard. However, the "read" command inside the loop uses the input from the file and it does not get the user input from keyboard.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accept user input?

how would i accept user input from the keyboard? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about user input

Hello all, How can i have a user input that reads like this: echo -n "Please enter a & b:" 10 20 read a read b echo $a echo $b 10 20 right now i have divided it into two echos, like echo -n "a: " echo -n "b: " (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrahmegni
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validating user input

I'm trying to set up a script that takes user input and validates that the user input was entered correctly. So far I have this: while : do echo "Please enter your name." read NAME if then echo "You have not entered a name." echo... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fufaso
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input - Perl need Help

If I want all user input to start with " : " if not display error or what I asking is how to do if statement that control a first letter of string that we want to start with. and not worry about the rest Thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate user's input..?

$Input_filename=$ARGV; if (!-d $Input_filename && ! -e $Input_filename) { print "USAGE: Please enter '$ABCD/def/dsed.txt' as an arguement \n"; exit; } 1. Input Is suppose to be something like "$ABCD/def/dsed.txt". if the input is wrong the script should throw an ERROR message.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

"rhgb quiet" controlling the display of commands in single user mode ?"rhgb quiet" controlling the d

Why does removing "rhgb quiet" from the kernel boot parameters control whether or not the commands I enter are displayed in single user mode ? For instance, if I do not remove "rhgb quiet", when I am in single user mode, whatever command I type will not be displayed on the screen. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD