Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep output to file result not as expected Post 303038065 by rdrtx1 on Friday 23rd of August 2019 08:34:36 AM
Old 08-23-2019
try:
Code:
dos2ux < file1 | grep ABC > file2

Last edited by rdrtx1; 02-18-2020 at 08:25 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Output result to a non-delimitted file

Hello I need to run an sql script and then the output result to be in non-delimitted file What is the execution command to obtain this. For eg: the following outputs the result to a space delimitted file db2batch -d ${EC_DB2_DBNAME} -f ${TMP_SCRIPT_NAME} -a ${CURR_DB_ID}/${CURR_DB_PWD} -r... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosec
1 Replies

2. Programming

Test program not giving expected result

I have five classes. 2 composition classes,1 aggregation class and 1 dependency class.I have coded all the classes but one of my test program is not giving me the expected result.I have the following classes: TimeStamp Interval (composition of 2 TimeStamps) TimeSheet ( aggregation of many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write result to output file

Good morning everybody, Beeing an absolute newbie in shell scripting I would like to look for some help here. I would like to read an external text file and format the data and write it to an output file. What I was trying to do was to display the result (this worked). But now I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluejean1976
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting awk output depending on grep result

Hi, I don't script often enough to know how to do this, and I can't seem to find a right example online. I have a csv output from an old, old system (Win2K???), from which I want to extract only certain fields. Initially I came up with something like this: cat file1 | awk -F '"' '{print $8... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: takada
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of Catching Return Value from Sub_script.sh to Main_script.sh is not as Expected

Main_script.sh #! /bin/sh ./Sub_script.sh rc=$? echo "Return code from Sub_script.sh : $rc" if ; then echo "$rc = 991" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 992" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 0" echo "" exit 1 fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Looping. How can I get expected result?

Can Anyone help with looping... awk 'FNR==1{i++} {for(k=1; k<=NF; k++) A=$k} # 3 Dimension Array END{ for(i=1;i<=217;i++) # For loop 2nd File 1st and 2nd column x=0;y=0 ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output block of lines in a file based on grep result

Hi I would appreciate your help with this. I have a output file from a command. It is broken based on initial of the users. Exmaple of iitials MN & SS. Under each section there is information pertaining to the user however each section can have different number of lines. MY challenge is to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep can't match expected but output all

lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:~$ service --status-all |grep dbus acpid acpi-support alsa-restore alsa-store anacron apport atd avahi-daemon bluetooth cgroup-lite console-setup cron cups dbus dmesg dns-clean failsafe-x ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable to output gives error with expected result

Hello, I am trying to print out the first string matching query with grep and I need your help. My scenario: Database John F 4433 Street No 88 CA Elisabeth Taylor 7733 Street No 26 ON Jack Nicholson 0133 Green Park No 34 AR John F 2 9399 Southpark No 02D UT test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not getting expected result

Hi Experts, I have written the below script but its not working as per expectation. My requirement is if this condition ] is satisfied then only check for this condition ] if this also satisfied check for the condition ]. vi p_values.ksh path="/db/ora/files" mode=1 b_days=10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
5 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)