Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep output to file result not as expected Post 303038064 by green_k on Friday 23rd of August 2019 08:20:17 AM
Old 08-23-2019
Grep output to file result not as expected

Hi Gurus,
I run command grep ABC file1 > file2 against below file. I got all ABC_xxx in one line in file2. I expect to get multiple lines in file2. If I print result in screen, the result is expected.
thanks in advance
My os is SunOS 5.10 Generic_150400-64 sun4v sparc sun4v

Code:
ABC_123
XXXXX
ABC_456
XXXXX
ABC_567
XXXXX

result
Code:
ABC_123 ABC_456 ABC_567

expected result:
Code:
ABC_123
ABC_456
ABC_567

Last edited by rbatte1; 09-04-2019 at 02:11 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Output result to a non-delimitted file

Hello I need to run an sql script and then the output result to be in non-delimitted file What is the execution command to obtain this. For eg: the following outputs the result to a space delimitted file db2batch -d ${EC_DB2_DBNAME} -f ${TMP_SCRIPT_NAME} -a ${CURR_DB_ID}/${CURR_DB_PWD} -r... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosec
1 Replies

2. Programming

Test program not giving expected result

I have five classes. 2 composition classes,1 aggregation class and 1 dependency class.I have coded all the classes but one of my test program is not giving me the expected result.I have the following classes: TimeStamp Interval (composition of 2 TimeStamps) TimeSheet ( aggregation of many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write result to output file

Good morning everybody, Beeing an absolute newbie in shell scripting I would like to look for some help here. I would like to read an external text file and format the data and write it to an output file. What I was trying to do was to display the result (this worked). But now I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluejean1976
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting awk output depending on grep result

Hi, I don't script often enough to know how to do this, and I can't seem to find a right example online. I have a csv output from an old, old system (Win2K???), from which I want to extract only certain fields. Initially I came up with something like this: cat file1 | awk -F '"' '{print $8... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: takada
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Result of Catching Return Value from Sub_script.sh to Main_script.sh is not as Expected

Main_script.sh #! /bin/sh ./Sub_script.sh rc=$? echo "Return code from Sub_script.sh : $rc" if ; then echo "$rc = 991" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 992" echo "" exit 1 elif ; then echo "$rc = 0" echo "" exit 1 fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Looping. How can I get expected result?

Can Anyone help with looping... awk 'FNR==1{i++} {for(k=1; k<=NF; k++) A=$k} # 3 Dimension Array END{ for(i=1;i<=217;i++) # For loop 2nd File 1st and 2nd column x=0;y=0 ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output block of lines in a file based on grep result

Hi I would appreciate your help with this. I have a output file from a command. It is broken based on initial of the users. Exmaple of iitials MN & SS. Under each section there is information pertaining to the user however each section can have different number of lines. MY challenge is to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep can't match expected but output all

lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:~$ service --status-all |grep dbus acpid acpi-support alsa-restore alsa-store anacron apport atd avahi-daemon bluetooth cgroup-lite console-setup cron cups dbus dmesg dns-clean failsafe-x ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable to output gives error with expected result

Hello, I am trying to print out the first string matching query with grep and I need your help. My scenario: Database John F 4433 Street No 88 CA Elisabeth Taylor 7733 Street No 26 ON Jack Nicholson 0133 Green Park No 34 AR John F 2 9399 Southpark No 02D UT test.sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not getting expected result

Hi Experts, I have written the below script but its not working as per expectation. My requirement is if this condition ] is satisfied then only check for this condition ] if this also satisfied check for the condition ]. vi p_values.ksh path="/db/ora/files" mode=1 b_days=10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
5 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)