Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Hard drive compatibility for POWER6 p520 Post 303038000 by RecoveryOne on Tuesday 20th of August 2019 01:53:37 PM
Old 08-20-2019
SAS is generally SAS. So I'd say you have a really good chance that you can get a filesystem on your non-ibm drives. Just not AIX Boot.

What will come back and bite you is the firmware of the drive.

So as I said above, I couldn't install AIX directly to that drive. There's check's in AIX that prevent such things. After all, IBM wants to make sure you use their approved drives. Partly because you pay IBM, but also they can guarantee performance, features, specs, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love open systems and open source... But when it comes to my Big Iron, mission critical stuff, I want to know the vendor has my back. Down side is when you want to take such a system home, you still need to play by those rules.

AIX Diagnostic was able to see the drive and all that other info.
I had to find a real pSeries drive to install AIX from and boot from. I never did try to bring it in to the rootvg as a mirror and then reduce it to just that transplanted hdisk.

Good luck and I'd be interested to know your results.
This User Gave Thanks to RecoveryOne For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want To Automount My Hard Drive!!!

:confused: Im as newbie as they come....... I just loaded Red Hat 8.0 on my computer. I have a second hard drive that i reformatted with a Fat32 so I could share it with my XP and Linux partions....... I have like 4000 mp3's on it and i would like to get it to auto mount when Linux boots....? Or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mynameiskyle
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

currupted my hard drive

Hello, earlier tonight I was installing BETA version of Mandrake Linux 9.0 and I realised I needed to partition my drive. I tried making the partition within mandrake but ther wasnt an option within the mandrake setup. So i go into my WindowsXP and do the disk management option but there want a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcaliber
5 Replies

3. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. AIX

Hard Drive Question

Good day, I have an rs/6000 server, model 7044-270. I bought a 2nd hard drive for it but im not sure its the right one. (fru:H13060) As you surely know, the 7044-270 hard drives are put in some sort of tray/carrier. There is a cable that will interface the HDD with the tray/carrier so the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

8. Red Hat

Corrupted Hard Drive

I am running FC-7 which I realize is an older distro. But my question would apply to any distro. I ran fsck on my mounted file system (I know, I shouldn't have). Now it won't boot. I get a kernel panic message. I booted to a Knoppix Live Cd. The desktop icon shows /dev/sda2 mounted at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2buck56
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Hard drive formating

Im trying to install a fresh version of Fedora 17. I keep getting formating errors when trying to reformat the hard drive. I recieve errors as well I I try to use the entire disk for the install instead of creat new partitions from scratch. I even tried fromatting the disk using PartedMagic and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
7 Replies
PERLOS400(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      PERLOS400(1)

NAME
README.os400 - Perl version 5 on OS/400 DESCRIPTION
This document describes various features of IBM's OS/400 operating system that will affect how Perl version 5 (hereafter just Perl) is compiled and/or runs. By far the easiest way to build Perl for OS/400 is to use the PASE (Portable Application Solutions Environment), for more information see http://www.iseries.ibm.com/developer/factory/pase/index.html This environment allows one to use AIX APIs while programming, and it provides a runtime that allows AIX binaries to execute directly on the PowerPC iSeries. Compiling Perl for OS/400 PASE The recommended way to build Perl for the OS/400 PASE is to build the Perl 5 source code (release 5.8.1 or later) under AIX. The trick is to give a special parameter to the Configure shell script when running it on AIX: sh Configure -DPASE ... The default installation directory of Perl under PASE is /QOpenSys/perl. This can be modified if needed with Configure parameter -Dprefix=/some/dir. Starting from OS/400 V5R2 the IBM Visual Age compiler is supported on OS/400 PASE, so it is possible to build Perl natively on OS/400. The easier way, however, is to compile in AIX, as just described. If you don't want to install the compiled Perl in AIX into /QOpenSys (for packaging it before copying it to PASE), you can use a Configure parameter: -Dinstallprefix=/tmp/QOpenSys/perl. This will cause the "make install" to install everything into that directory, while the installed files still think they are (will be) in /QOpenSys/perl. If building natively on PASE, please do the build under the /QOpenSys directory, since Perl is happier when built on a case sensitive filesystem. Installing Perl in OS/400 PASE If you are compiling on AIX, simply do a "make install" on the AIX box. Once the install finishes, tar up the /QOpenSys/perl directory. Transfer the tarball to the OS/400 using FTP with the following commands: > binary > site namefmt 1 > put perl.tar /QOpenSys Once you have it on, simply bring up a PASE shell and extract the tarball. If you are compiling in PASE, then "make install" is the only thing you will need to do. The default path for perl binary is /QOpenSys/perl/bin/perl. You'll want to symlink /QOpenSys/usr/bin/perl to this file so you don't have to modify your path. Using Perl in OS/400 PASE Perl in PASE may be used in the same manner as you would use Perl on AIX. Scripts starting with #!/usr/bin/perl should work if you have /QOpenSys/usr/bin/perl symlinked to your perl binary. This will not work if you've done a setuid/setgid or have environment variable PASE_EXEC_QOPENSYS="N". If you have V5R1, you'll need to get the latest PTFs to have this feature. Scripts starting with #!/QOpenSys/perl/bin/perl should always work. Known Problems When compiling in PASE, there is no "oslevel" command. Therefore, you may want to create a script called "oslevel" that echoes the level of AIX that your version of PASE runtime supports. If you're unsure, consult your documentation or use "4.3.3.0". If you have test cases that fail, check for the existence of spool files. The test case may be trying to use a syscall that is not implemented in PASE. To avoid the SIGILL, try setting the PASE_SYSCALL_NOSIGILL environment variable or have a handler for the SIGILL. If you can compile programs for PASE, run the config script and edit config.sh when it gives you the option. If you want to remove fchdir(), which isn't implement in V5R1, simply change the line that says: d_fchdir='define' to d_fchdir='undef' and then compile Perl. The places where fchdir() is used have alternatives for systems that do not have fchdir() available. Perl on ILE There exists a port of Perl to the ILE environment. This port, however, is based quite an old release of Perl, Perl 5.00502 (August 1998). (As of July 2002 the latest release of Perl is 5.8.0, and even 5.6.1 has been out since April 2001.) If you need to run Perl on ILE, though, you may need this older port: http://www.cpan.org/ports/#os400 Note that any Perl release later than 5.00502 has not been ported to ILE. If you need to use Perl in the ILE environment, you may want to consider using Qp2RunPase() to call the PASE version of Perl. AUTHORS
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> Bryan Logan <bryanlog@us.ibm.com> David Larson <larson1@us.ibm.com> perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 PERLOS400(1)