Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Unsure why access time on a directory change isn't changing Post 303037885 by bodisha on Thursday 15th of August 2019 04:07:25 PM
Old 08-15-2019
Unsure why access time on a directory isn't changing

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me

I was trying to work out the differences between displaying modify, access, and change times with the 'ls' command. Everything seems in order when I look at files, but the access time on a directory doesn't seem to change when I expect it too.

I'm sure I must have the concept misunderstood with a directory... But when I 'cd' to a directory like 'Downloads' or do an 'ls' to view it's contents... And then look at it's last access time with 'ls -ldu' or 'stat'... It does not change

It has changed when I wasn't paying attention and has a date/time from yesterday... I just don't understand what would caused it to change

Can someone straighten me out here? THANKS!

Last edited by bodisha; 08-15-2019 at 05:52 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

help in changing the access level for directories

Hi all, can some one help me in chmod command, and let me know the various combinations for this command. for : eg chmod -R 777 <dir names> this gives all rights to all but i want the specific access levels kindly help me out in this issue. Thank you, lakshmanan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananl
2 Replies

2. Linux

A little unsure of something

If i want to display a banner that says Happy Bday, but I want to put that output banner into a file called bday4me, could I use the command (echo) or (banner -w35) Happy Bday >> bday4me would this command work? Sorry for asking, but i'm at home just now and don't have access to a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cisco
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change prompt color when changing path

Hi all, Can you tell me how to change the prompt color (only the path part) when I chnange directory with "cd"? I use the sequence below in ".bashrc" (Solaris 8) to change my prompt colors and I'd like to modify it to change the path color when I cange directory. PSC() { echo -ne "\"; }... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormark
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last modified time of the folder is changing when I view the file inside the directory

Hi., Last modified time of the folder is changing when I view the file inside the directory. Here is the test on sample directory. I believe that ls -l commands gives the time detail w.r.t last modified time. Pl. suggest. bash-3.2$ mkdir test bash-3.2$ cd test bash-3.2$ touch myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File access time does not change on some files

Hey All, I want to get the access time of files in a directory. I used ls -lu on a directory and picked a file that had the access time of Mar 1 and used cat to get the contents of the file. Then I used the ls -lu again and the access time changed on that file. Perfect !! Now if I cat a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipulgupta0
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unsure of sed notation (nu\\t.\*)

This piece of code is in a shell script I'm trying to modify to run on my system. sed s:nu\\t.\*:"nu=0" It's clearly a substitute script which replaces nu\\t.\* with nu = 0. What exactly does nu\\t.\* demarcate though-- I thought it was just the previous nu = xxxxx (which existed and is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czar21
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash looking in different directory for file that isn't referenced in command

When I run the below bash I get the expected output, which is the sum of all matching targets less than 20 in $file1. The filename in the directory is fixed (in bold). for file1 in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/panel/reads/16-0000_EPIL70.txt ; do bname=`basename $file1` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
UTIME(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  UTIME(2)

NAME
utime, utimes - change file last access and modification times SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <utime.h> int utime(const char *filename, const struct utimbuf *times); #include <sys/time.h> int utimes(const char *filename, const struct timeval times[2]); DESCRIPTION
The utime() system call changes the access and modification times of the inode specified by filename to the actime and modtime fields of times respectively. If times is NULL, then the access and modification times of the file are set to the current time. Changing timestamps is permitted when: either the process has appropriate privileges, or the effective user ID equals the user ID of the file, or times is NULL and the process has write permission for the file. The utimbuf structure is: struct utimbuf { time_t actime; /* access time */ time_t modtime; /* modification time */ }; The utime() system call allows specification of timestamps with a resolution of 1 second. The utimes() system call is similar, but the times argument refers to an array rather than a structure. The elements of this array are timeval structures, which allow a precision of 1 microsecond for specifying timestamps. The timeval structure is: struct timeval { long tv_sec; /* seconds */ long tv_usec; /* microseconds */ }; times[0] specifies the new access time, and times[1] specifies the new modification time. If times is NULL, then analogously to utime(), the access and modification times of the file are set to the current time. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EACCES Search permission is denied for one of the directories in the path prefix of path (see also path_resolution(7)). EACCES times is NULL, the caller's effective user ID does not match the owner of the file, the caller does not have write access to the file, and the caller is not privileged (Linux: does not have either the CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE or the CAP_FOWNER capability). ENOENT filename does not exist. EPERM times is not NULL, the caller's effective UID does not match the owner of the file, and the caller is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_FOWNER capability). EROFS path resides on a read-only file system. CONFORMING TO
utime(): SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. POSIX.1-2008 marks utime() as obsolete. utimes(): 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Linux does not allow changing the timestamps on an immutable file, or setting the timestamps to something other than the current time on an append-only file. In libc4 and libc5, utimes() is just a wrapper for utime() and hence does not allow a subsecond resolution. SEE ALSO
chattr(1), futimesat(2), stat(2), utimensat(2), futimens(3), futimes(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-08-06 UTIME(2)