Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Command to change add permissions for a new user to all files in all subfolders and folders Post 303037849 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 14th of August 2019 09:58:56 PM
Old 08-14-2019
The ls -ld directory... command will show you the group IDs associated with the directories you name. The users who are assigned to the various groups on your system are maintained in the file /etc/groups on most UNIX systems. Any editor can be used to update that file, but be sure that you make backups before editing that file. Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create folders/subfolders using shellscript

Hi, Can any one help me how to create folders using shellscript.My requirement is: FolderName: Main/Main1 :Main/Main2 :Main/Main3 underSubFolder : Main1/A :Main1/B :Main1/C underSubfolder: A/A1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Analyze folders and subfolders

I would like to know if there is a script out there that someone may have already written that I can use to analyze folders and sub folders on my AIX system. It can be in perl or a basic korn script. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seacros
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do i change the user permissions..

Hi everyone, There are couple of users of which i need to give 2 of the users admin rights so that they are able to run the administration commands like "zoneadm" and locale. When logged in as root i am obviously able to do that.please suggest any way by which the other 2 user's permissions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sankasu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helppppppp I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Helpppppppppppppp Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using the same permission of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace text in folders and Subfolders

Hi, I need help in writing a script to search a particular text in multiple files present in folders and sub folders and replace it with another string which also has special characters like '&', '|', etc.. I know sed command will be used to replace the text but i'm not sure how to use it for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asheesh
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to move folders, subfolders and files from unix to windows

Hi Unix Gurus, I am able to copy only files that exist in the parent folder. My parent folder has sub folders and within sub folders there are lots files. I need to copy folder, sub folders and files from Unix to the remote windows SFTP location. The directory structure is something like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating matrix from folders and subfolders

Hello, Greetings! please help me produce the following solution. I need to produce one big matrix file from several files in different levels. If it helps, the index folder provides information on chromosome index and the data folder provides information on values for chromosomes. there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move specific folders and subfolders in a directory

I am trying to move specific folders and subfolders within a directory using the below. I can see the folders to move and they are at the location, but I am getting an error. Thank you :). mv -v /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/6-10-2016{bam/{validation,coverage},bedtools /media/cmccabe/"My... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
groups(1)						      General Commands Manual							 groups(1)

NAME
groups - Displays your group membership SYNOPSIS
groups [user] DESCRIPTION
The groups command writes to standard output the groups to which you or the specified user belong. The Tru64 UNIX operating system allows a user to belong to many different groups at the same time. Your primary group is specified in the /etc/passwd file. Once you are logged in, you can change your active group with the newgrp shell command (see sh). When you create a file, its group ID is that of your active group. Other groups that you belong to are specified in the /etc/group file. If you belong to more than one group, you can access files belonging to any of those groups without changing your primary group ID. These are called your concurrent groups. NOTES
The /etc/passwd and /etc/group files must be on the same node. EXAMPLES
To determine your group membership, enter: groups The groups to which you belong will be displayed. For example: devel prod FILES
Contains group information. Contains user information. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1) Functions: initgroups(3), setgroups(2) groups(1)