Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Metastat shows state needs maintenance Post 303037776 by gull04 on Tuesday 13th of August 2019 09:15:29 AM
Old 08-13-2019
HI,

You've stated that the storage team did the migration of IBM Storage to Nimble storage, I'm guessing that that is where the problem lies. Or there could be issues with the vpath software and Nimble storage, does the Solaris version support Nimble?

I would have tackled this a different way;
  1. Added the new disk to the running system as normal.
  2. Extended the metadevice into a four way mirror.
  3. Remove the original disk.
  4. Recreate the metadb.

I'm not sure why you would attempt to do this using SAN replication, the only exception I would make is where you can replicate the device at a block level ensuring tha the boot block and everything else would come over.

You may get away with installing the boot block and re-labeling the disks, but I'd rather adopt the add the disks and extend the mirror approach.

Given the current situation, you may want to try the metarecover options to recover the individual devices.

Regards

Gull04

--- Post updated at 03:15 PM ---

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, have you made any required changes to /etc/vfstab - you don't mention it.

Regards

Gull04

Last edited by gull04; 08-13-2019 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Additional Information.
This User Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SVM metastat -- needs maintenance

Running Solaris 9 with SVM. I'm not that familiar with it, but metastat output gives "needs maintenance" message on 2 of the mirrors. There are no errors in /var/adm/messages. What do I need to do to fix this error? Thanks. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
14 Replies

2. Solaris

Help on metastat

hi all, can someone pls pass on your suggestion? Firs thing I am testing a script which checks for the pattern 'Needs Maintenance' from metastat output and prints some messages in the screen. So i need to simulate an error in mirrored disk for metastat to give this message 'Needs Maintenance'.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srirammad007
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Softpartition State: Errored in Command MetaStat

Hi people, I have on problem when execute the command METASTAT... d60: Soft Partition Device: d10 State: Errored Size: 12582912 blocks (6.0 GB) Someone help me? Thank you very much (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: denisgomes
4 Replies

4. Solaris

both mirrors in needs maintenance state.

Hi, Ii am facing the belwo problem: d50: Mirror Submirror 0: d30 State: Needs maintenance Submirror 1: d40 State: Needs maintenance Pass: 1 Read option: roundrobin (default) Write option: parallel (default) Size: 212176648 blocks (101 GB) d30:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Metastat shows "maintenance" and "last-erred"

Hi All, Sorry to post a problem for my first post but I'm in a bit of a pickle at the minute! I have an Ultra45 connected to a Storedge 3100 series, 2 internal, 2 external disks with a db application running on the external disks. Now everything is working fine and we've had no downtime or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheSteed
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to clear maintenance state for apache2 server?

Can any one of you suggest me the method to get apache server in online from maintenance mode. I tried in the following way, but couldn't get that service to online. bash-3.00# svcs -a | grep apache legacy_run 9:51:55 lrc:/etc/rc3_d/S50apache offline 9:51:22... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
3 Replies

7. Solaris

metastat |grep Needs

Dear, Required an script such that : If metastat |grep Needs , results in some output then this command to be executed for the same : opcmsg object=metastat a=OS msg_grp=OpC severity=critical msg_text="Need maintenance for the system $line" With regards, Mjoshi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi87
3 Replies

8. Solaris

svcs command shows the state as disabled

Hi I need to export a directory named /sybase from my solaris machine via NFS. The svcs command shows the state as disabled. Please let me know how to export the directory. Once the directory is exported from the solaris machine it has to be mounted locally in an aix machine. Can some one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

9. AIX

Open firmware state to running state

Hi Admins, I am having a whole system lpar in open firmware state on HMC. How can I bring it to running state ? Let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

10. Solaris

SSH : Restarting too quickly, changing state to maintenance

Hi, I'm new to Solaris. I have an issue with ssh service. When I restart the service it exits with an exit status of 0 $svcadm restart svc:/network/ssh:default $echo $? 0 $ However, the service goes into maintenance mode after restart. I'm able to connect even though the service is in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
3 Replies
vgchgid(1M)															       vgchgid(1M)

NAME
vgchgid - modify the Volume Group ID (VGID) on a given set of physical devices SYNOPSIS
PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath] ... DESCRIPTION
The command is designed to change the LVM Volume Group ID (VGID) on a supplied set of disks. will work with any type of storage, but it is primarily targeted at disk arrays that are able to create "snapshots" or "clones" of mirrored LUNs. accepts a set of raw physical devices and ensures that they all belong to the same volume group, before altering the VGID (see section). The same VGID is set on all the disks and it should be noted that in cases of multi-PV volume groups, all the physical volumes should be supplied in a single invocation of the command. Options recognizes the following options and arguments: PhysicalVolumePath The raw devices path name of a physical volume. Background Some storage subsystems have a feature which allows a user to split off a set of mirror copies of physical storage (termed or just as LVM splits off logical volumes with the command. As the result of the "split," the split-off devices will have the same VGID as the original disks. is needed to modify the VGID on the BCV devices. Once the VGID has been altered, the BCV disks can be imported into a new volume group by using WARNINGS
Once the VGID has been changed, the original VGID is lost until a disk device is re-mirrored with the original devices. If is used on a subset of disk devices (for example, two out of four disk devices), the two groups of disk devices would not be able to be imported into the same volume group since they have different VGIDs on them. The solution is to re-mirror all four of the disk devices and re-run on all four BCV devices at the same time, and then use to import them into the same new volume group. If a disk is newly added to an existing volume group and no subsequent LVM operations has been performed to alter the structures (in other words, operations which perform an automated vgcfgbackup(1M)); then it is possible a subsequent will fail. It will report that the disk does not belong to the volume group. This may be overcome by performing a structure changing operation on the volume group (for example, using It is the system administrator's responsibility to make sure that the devices provided in the command line are all Business Copy volumes of the existing standard physical volumes and are in the ready state and writable. Mixing the standard and BC volumes in the same volume group can cause data corruption. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: 0 VGID was modified with no error 1 VGID was not modified EXAMPLES
An example showing how might be used: 1. The system administrator uses the following commands to create the Business Continuity (BCV or BC) copy: 1) For EMC Symmetrix disks, the commands are and 2) For XP disk array, the commands are and Three BCV disks are created. 2. Change the VGID on the BCV disks. 3. Make a new volume group using the BCV disks. This step can be skipped as the group file will be created automatically. If the file is manually created it will have different major and minor numbers (see lvm(7)). 4. Import the BCV disks into the new volume group. 5. Activate the new volume group. 6. Backup the new volume group's LVM data structure. 7. Mount the associated logical volumes. SEE ALSO
vgimport(1M), vgscan(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M). vgchgid(1M)