Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to write a daemon script? Post 303037633 by RudiC on Thursday 8th of August 2019 08:52:56 AM
Old 08-08-2019
What "is not working properly"? Executing (long running) scripts in background is standard and should not lead to problems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to write daemon?

Hi , I want to know how to write a daemon process. I also want to know the concept behind daemon processes. Any material or sample program will be great :) . Thanks in advance -sg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sg6876
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script as a daemon

hi, can i run a shell script as a daemon ? the shell script looks like this : can this be run as a service ?: thanks regards shann (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: massoo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a daemon in Unix?

Hi I have a directory where sometimes a file will come (in a name format say file001.txt). I want to run a job (.ksh file) as soon as a new file comes into the directory. How can I write a shell script which will run in the background and monitor arrival of new file in the directory? ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasak
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Pro*C daemon process using multithreading?

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post here... I have never worked on either Pro*C or Multithreading..Now, i have to write a Pro*C, Multithreading daemon process.. I dont know where to start.. Can anybody help me with examples? 1. need to write a Pro*C multithreading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kachiraju
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sample of script that control a daemon

Hi everybody, Does somebody has a sample of script that control a daemon? for example use loop until the daemon is on and if is not on do something else? Thanks Pier (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierrelaval
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write daemon in UNIX

Hi Guys, I hope this is the right forum to post this. I have a directory where files will be dumped at any time of the day and I want to run scripts as soon as new files come into the directory. How can I write a daemon that detects when new files have been uploaded to the directory? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regie101
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in the daemon running script

Hi I was going through one of my pjct script .Please let me know the logic for the deamon is running or not as i think the condtn should be vice-versa. daemon_list = 'idp1278' FAIL=0 for p in ${daemon_list} do fail=0 ps -fu workarea | grep ${p} > /dev/null 2>&1 if ] then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to run as a daemon

Hi, I have one query that is suppose if I have a script that pick up some files from source folder and put it into destination folder , and I want this script to run after every 1 hour, to make it configurable as per that I have options like crontab and nohup but when I test this script I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nks342
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script daemon

hi I have the following script named ./daemonscript while true do #echo string to file results echo ok >> results #commands sleep 2 done I call it the following way : ./daemonscript & and I want it to stop when the user presses the "S" button together with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
5 Replies
on(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             on(1)

NAME
on - execute a command on a remote system with the local environment SYNOPSIS
on [-i] [-d] [-n] host command [argument] ... DESCRIPTION
The on program is used to execute commands on another system, in an environment similar to that invoking the program. All environment vari- ables are passed and the current working directory is preserved. To preserve the working directory, the working file system must be either already mounted on the host or be exported to it. Relative path names will only work if they are within the current file system. Absolute path names may cause problems. The standard input is connected to the standard input of the remote command. The standard output and the standard error from the remote command are sent to the corresponding files for the on command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Debug mode. Prints out some messages as work is being done. -i Interactive mode. Uses remote echoing and special character processing. This option is needed for programs that expect to be talk- ing to a terminal. All terminal modes and window size changes are propagated. -n No Input. This option causes the remote program to get EOF when it reads from the standard input, instead of passing the standard input from the standard input of the on program. For example, -n is necessary when running commands in the background with job control. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chkey(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), telnet(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unknown host Host name not found. cannot connect to server Host down or not running the server. can't find Problem finding the working directory. can't locate mount point Problem finding current file system. RPC: Authentication error The server requires DES authentication and you do not have a secret key registered with keyserv. Perhaps you logged in without a pass- word. Try to keylogin. If that fails, try to set your publickey with chkey. on server: RPC: can't encode arguments The 10240 byte limit for arguments to be encoded and passed from the sending to the receiving system has been exceeded. Other diagnostic messages may be passed back from the server. BUGS
When the working directory is remote mounted over NFS, a Control-Z hangs the window. Root cannot use on. SunOS 5.10 8 Oct 2003 on(1)