Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to update Solaris 10 Update 3 to Update 11? Post 303037592 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 7th of August 2019 05:48:08 AM
Old 08-07-2019
My approach would be to ensure that you know how to restore the root partition easily if it goes wrong. Use fssnap followed by ufsdump to dump the snapshot. If you are in anyway unsure about how to restore then research that first.

As far as the actual upgrade is concerned I would download and burn the DVD installation media. Booting from that DVD ensure that the install procedure recognizes the existing installation and offers you the upgrade route. DO NOT allow it to proceed with a standard installation (overwriting the disk) if it happens to not recognize the existing OS.

If you hit problems with that post back here.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How update Solaris ?

I have Solaris 10 01/06 version on my server, but i wanna update her from my DVD-Disc to 08/07. How i can do it ? I has try boot from disc, but don't find Upgrade function =( Please help me anyone! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
1 Replies

2. Solaris

update openshh on solaris 10

Hi All, I've downloaded and extracted openssh4.1 on solaris 10. When I run the install-sh, it replied with "./install-sh: no input file specified". The file is executable and been move to owner root or the rest of the files. Why is that? Please help. Thanks in advance, itik (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Update Solaris from 8 to 10

Hi all, i am facing a problem. i cant update the 8 to 10. It show me the error cannot mount the root, swap, and other filesystem. when i run # format in the normal situation, it give me the below result # format 0. c1t0d0 <SUN146G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 848> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Update 2 to 7

I need to get from Solaris 10 update 2 to update 7, whats the quickest way just apply kernel patch or live upgrade? If it is just kernel patching can i go straight from update 2 to 7 or do I have to apply each revision level patch i.e. go from update 2 to 3 to 4 etc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_crosby
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Install update 6 on solaris with update 3

I want to update my solaris 10 server which is currently on update 3 stage. A new application require it to be on update 6. What is the best way to make it update 6. should i just install the patch or should i go for the liveupgrade?? thanks for you help in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxravi
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Is it possible to "upgrade" Sol10 update 9 to update 10?

Is it possible to "upgrade" Sol10 update 9 to update 10 by booting from the DVD? I had never even tried this until a user asked me to do it, so i tried and it just hung there after the part where it reads the rules.ok file. Is this even possible to upgrade? or does it have to be a new install. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
5 Replies

7. Programming

MYSQL - trigger update on record insert or update

Right I have a MYSQL database with table1 with 3 columns, colA, colB and colC. I want to combine the data in the 3 columns into a 4th column names col_comb. Here's the SQL command that works: UPDATE table1 SET `col_comb` = CONCAT( `colA` , ' - ', `colB` , ', ', `colC` ); So now I want this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

RedHat 5 update 9 BASH update issue

Hi i want to update the BASH because of the "shell shock" vulnerability. my RedHat 5 is clean install with the default mirror site. when im running the command: yum update bash im getting a message saying there is no update. you can see in the attach picture... what am i doing wrong? is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guy3145
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 to 11.1 update help

If anyone has any solid documents on updating Solaris 11.0 to 11.1 please share. I have been spinning my wheels for day now. I got past running the pre-update step. Rebooted the system and trying to continue with update to 11.1 using IPS repo and keeps failing with message that it can't reach... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fly3rs
5 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)