Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Partitioning harddrive for installing Linux alongside win 7. Post 303037527 by AndersA on Sunday 4th of August 2019 12:50:14 PM
Old 08-04-2019
Partitioning harddrive for installing Linux alongside win 7.

I'm planning on using two Linux OS's alongside win 7, one being Fedora KDE 30.

So to prepare for the install I partitioned my harddrive using the Minitool Partition Wizard. I have a 320 GB hdd, so I nade one partiotion about 80 GB forFedora and then left about 70 GB as unused, to later install another linux os on.

So first I was going to install Fedora KDE on the 80 GB partition. But it did not see it, instead it automatically went for the 70 GB part where I want to install Puppy Linux. It can't see the 80 GB partition. I tried to make it both unformated and Logical (as oposed to Primary) and then I tried to make it in the ext 4 format, But none of it worked.

How can I divide up the hdd so that I can first install the other linux OS on the smaller partition and then the Puppy Linux on the bigger 80 GB partition?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

linux and win nt working together

I was wondering if anybody knew how to make linux and win nt and a novell server integrated there will be no workstations we are trying to get the servers together now we are currently working on Novel and NT and then we want to integrate the linux server into that. We know that we need Samba but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbie
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you defragment you harddrive in unix (Madrake Linux 9.0)?

Subject says it all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pudad
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

win and linux

Hello everyone I have two disks one with win2000 and the other I´m going to install mandrake10 . There is some way when Im finished to install mandrake when Im boot the machine I can make a selection or windows or linux. When I do this in a single disk I have no problem. but In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

4. Linux

Mount a harddrive in linux.

Hey people i'm very new to linux. I just put a extra 200 gig maxtor HD in my computer. Linux can tell it's there...but it says it cant mount it. How do i mount it manually? thanks, John (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RKJV
2 Replies

5. Solaris

installing second harddrive

This is my first post i am a solaris newbie. I just purchased my first sun system. It is a sunblade 1000. It had a fcal 36gb hdd in it already so i purchased a secondary 36gb fcal harddrive to increase my harddrive space however, how do i get it to detect the second harddrive? I have tried boot -r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crzywut
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy MBR from old harddrive to new harddrive?

How do I copy the master boot record from one harddrive to another or how to install just the MBR? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
7 Replies

7. IP Networking

snmp linux win

I use snmp protocol on linux, now I have to use snmp on win, i use pc linux. I have activated the service snmp on win but I can not question him on my linux pc, you have any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fege
1 Replies

8. Programming

Trying to write a program to fill up my harddrive (Linux/C)

Hi guys, I'm trying to write a little program that will fill up my harddrive and will log the process during this. Now I've come up with this: #include <stdio.h> void main(void) { char cmd1; char cmd2; int i=1; sprintf(cmd2, "df -h"); while (i<=5) { system("dd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiglet
3 Replies
FINDFS(8)						       System Administration							 FINDFS(8)

NAME
findfs - find a filesystem by label or UUID SYNOPSIS
findfs NAME=value DESCRIPTION
findfs will search the block devices in the system looking for a filesystem or partition with specified tag. The currently supported tags are: LABEL=<label> Specifies filesystem label. UUID=<uuid> Specifies filesystem UUID. PARTUUID=<uuid> Specifies partition UUID. This partition identifier is supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition tables. PARTLABEL=<label> Specifies partition label (name). The partition labels are supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) or MAC partition tables. If the filesystem or partition is found, the device name will be printed on stdout. The complete overview about filesystems and partitions you can get for example by lsblk --fs partx --show <disk> blkid EXIT STATUS
0 success 1 label or uuid cannot be found 2 usage error, wrong number of arguments or unknown option AUTHOR
findfs was originally written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> and re-written for the util-linux package by Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
blkid(8), lsblk(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The findfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2014 FINDFS(8)