Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers [Tip] Housekeeping Tasks Made Easy - User Home directories and Leftover Files Post 303037241 by MadeInGermany on Friday 26th of July 2019 02:53:24 PM
Old 07-26-2019
I once had two scripts for our customer:
1. scanning "unowned" homedirs for recently accessed files. If nothing found, delete. If something found, display it and stop the search - and do not delete.
2. scanning shared project directories in "deepest first fashion" (find -depth), and assign each "unowned" directory to the owner of its parent directory.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch delete specific folder from user home directories

Hi! Need your help. How can I delete the cache folder of multiple user home directories via automatically executed shell script on a Mac OS X Server? Example: The userdata are stored on a Xsan Volume like this: /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/mike /Volumes/Xsan/userdata/peter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nipodrom
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to verify all user home directories are writable only by their owner

Hi, I'm currently working on my school assignment on how to verify that all user home directories are writable only by their owner on Solaris with VMware. But I'm not sure why my codes take a very long time to display the results. My friend says it's the `su - $i -c "ls -ld" 2> /dev/null | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NuuBe
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to verify all user home directories are writable only by their owner

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to verify that all user home directories are writable only by their owner on Solaris. The script posted below is workable but it is taking a long time to display the results, and I don't seem to be able to fix it or find any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NuuBe
6 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

i made this tasks. and i need some explenation or just remake my code.

Hello i hope this post is ok! and i hope that i get the point of rules :) i made this tasks by my self but few of them arent working.. and i dont know why!? u think u could help me? to give me some reasons why dont they work.. and remake my code that will work? hope to get answer soon! ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eclip
9 Replies

5. Solaris

How to unmount user home directories ??

I've allocated /exports for all user directories by making separate directories under /exports..... :rolleyes: now i need to unmount /exports . But i'm unable to do that.. How can i troubleshoot this issue. Thanks in advance:D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New user to own files made by root?

Hi, when I installed debian 8, all files are created and owned by root, when I add new user, for example marco, he can't create directory or change files created by root. I tried with ftp, permission denied. so, I am interested how to grant to user marco ownership of all files in the system so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanford
5 Replies
lnewusers(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      lnewusers(8)

NAME
lnewusers - Create new user accounts SYNOPSIS
lnewusers [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Creates new user accounts using data read from standard input. The input data consits of lines, each line has 7 colon-separated fields: User Name Plaintext Password User ID lnewusers refuses to create users with user ID 0 (the root user ID). Group If this field is a valid group ID, it is interpreted as a group ID, otherwise as a group name. If the field is empty, a group name equal to user name is used. If the specified group does not exist, it is automatically created. If the group is specified with a group ID, the created group has group name equal to the user name. GECOS The GECOS field is traditionally used to store user's real name and other information. Home Directory If this field is empty, a default specified by libuser configuration, or /home/username if libuser configuration does not specify a default, is used. Login Shell If this field is empty, a default specified by libuser configuration is used. Errors in user specifications are reported and processing continues on the next line. OPTIONS
-f, --file=file Read account data from file instead of standard input. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -M, --nocreatehome Don't create home directories. -n, --nocreatemail Don't create mail spool files. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on fatal error. Errors in user specifications are not reflected in the exit status. libuser Jan 12 2005 lnewusers(8)