Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combine first two words ( country name ) into one word in every line of log file with 500 records Post 303037100 by RudiC on Tuesday 23rd of July 2019 09:31:01 AM
Old 07-23-2019
Try
Code:
awk 'NF>11 {sub(/ /,"")}  1' file
UnitedStates 1.2.3.4  80  10 1563790914  1   1932454179 1.2.3.6  55517  11.1.2.1  55517
Italy  1.2.3.4  80  10 1563790914  1   1932454179 1.2.3.6  55517  11.1.2.1  55517
India  1.2.3.4  80  10 1563790914  1   1932454179 1.2.3.6  55517  11.1.2.1  55517
southAfrica  1.2.3.4  80  10 1563790914  1   1932454179 1.2.3.6  55517  11.1.2.1  55517

EDIT: Or, if you're unsure about the space count but know there's an IP address in the second field, try
Code:
awk '{while ($2 !~ /([0-9]*\.)[0-9]*\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*/) sub (/ /, _)} 1' file

Last edited by RudiC; 07-23-2019 at 10:36 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a word with a series of words in a file

Hi, I have a Template file 'TL.body' which says as follows: "There are no <FILENAME> files on the server. " The missing file names are identified and stored in a variable. For Eg: MISSFILE="abc.txt def.txt xyz.txt" I want the values of MISSFILE variable to be replaced against... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brap45
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words starting from a matching word in a line

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: wwwe 1 ioie ewew yyy uuu 88 erehrlk 4 ihoiwhe lkjhassad lkhsad yyy mmm 45 jhash lhasdhs lkhsdkjsn ouiyrshroi oihoihswodnw oiyhewe yyy ggg 77 I want to remove everything after "yyy" and including "yyy" from each line in the file. So I want:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove all words from a matching word in a line?

Hi Guys, :p I have a file like this: 2010-04-25 00:00:30,095 INFO - ]- start process U100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,096 DEBUG - ] -- call EJB 2010-04-25 00:00:30,709 INFO - - end processU100M4 2010-04-25 00:00:30,710 DEBUG - got message=Sorry I want to out put format. 2010-04-25... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cut words based on the word count of a line

I would like to cut words based on the word count of a line. This over here inspired me with some ideas but I wasn't able to get what I needed. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/105841-count-words-each-line-file-using-xargs.html If the line has 6 words I would like to use this.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiple unique lines from event log text file into one line, use PERL or AWK?

I can't decide if I should use AWK or PERL after pouring over these forums for hours today I decided I'd post something and see if I couldn't get some advice. I've got a text file full of hundreds of events in this format: Record Number : 1 Records in Seq : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mayday22
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, identify common records and combine unique values into one file

Good morning all, I have a problem that is one step beyond a standard awk compare. I would like to compare three files which have several thousand records against a fourth file. All of them have a value in each row that is identical, and one value in each of those rows which may be duplicated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nashton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort words based on word count on each line

Hi Folks :) I have a .txt file with thousands of words. I'm trying to sort the lines in order based on number of words per line. Example from: word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word word to desired output: word (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
Address(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      Address(3pm)

NAME
Palm::Address - Handler for Palm AddressBook databases SYNOPSIS
use Palm::Address; DESCRIPTION
The Address PDB handler is a helper class for the Palm::PDB package. It parses AddressBook databases. AppInfo block The AppInfo block begins with standard category support. See Palm::StdAppInfo for details. Other fields include: $pdb->{appinfo}{lastUniqueID} $pdb->{appinfo}{dirtyFields} I don't know what these are. $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{name} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{firstName} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{company} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone1} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone2} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone3} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone4} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone5} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone6} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone7} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{phone8} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{address} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{city} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{state} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{zipCode} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{country} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{title} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom1} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom2} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom3} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{custom4} $pdb->{appinfo}{fieldLabels}{note} These are the names of the various fields in the address record. $pdb->{appinfo}{country} An integer: the code for the country for which these labels were designed. The country name is available as $Palm::Address::countries[$pdb->{appinfo}{country}]; $pdb->{appinfo}{misc} An integer. The least-significant bit is a flag that indicates whether the database should be sorted by company. The other bits are reserved. Sort block $pdb->{sort} This is a scalar, the raw data of the sort block. Records $record = $pdb->{records}[N]; $record->{fields}{name} $record->{fields}{firstName} $record->{fields}{company} $record->{fields}{phone1} $record->{fields}{phone2} $record->{fields}{phone3} $record->{fields}{phone4} $record->{fields}{phone5} $record->{fields}{address} $record->{fields}{city} $record->{fields}{state} $record->{fields}{zipCode} $record->{fields}{country} $record->{fields}{title} $record->{fields}{custom1} $record->{fields}{custom2} $record->{fields}{custom3} $record->{fields}{custom4} $record->{fields}{note} These are scalars, the values of the various address book fields. $record->{phoneLabel}{phone1} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone2} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone3} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone4} $record->{phoneLabel}{phone5} Most fields in an AddressBook record are straightforward: the "name" field always gives the person's last name. The "phoneN" fields, on the other hand, can mean different things in different records. There are five such fields in each record, each of which can take on one of eight different values: "Work", "Home", "Fax", "Other", "E-mail", "Main", "Pager" and "Mobile". The $record->{phoneLabel}{phone*} fields are integers. Each one is an index into @Palm::Address::phoneLabels, and indicates which particular type of phone number each of the $record->{phone*} fields represents. $record->{phoneLabel}{display} Like the phone* fields above, this is an index into @Palm::Address::phoneLabels. It indicates which of the phone* fields to display in the list view. $record->{phoneLabel}{reserved} I don't know what this is. METHODS
new $pdb = new Palm::Address; Create a new PDB, initialized with the various Palm::Address fields and an empty record list. Use this method if you're creating an Address PDB from scratch. new_Record $record = $pdb->new_Record; Creates a new Address record, with blank values for all of the fields. The AppInfo block will contain only an "Unfiled" category, with ID 0. "new_Record" does not add the new record to $pdb. For that, you want "$pdb->append_Record". SOURCE CONTROL
The source is in Github: http://github.com/briandfoy/p5-Palm/tree/master AUTHOR
Alessandro Zummo, "<a.zummo@towertech.it>" Currently maintained by brian d foy, "<bdfoy@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
Palm::PDB(3) Palm::StdAppInfo(3) BUGS
The new() method initializes the AppInfo block with English labels and "United States" as the country. perl v5.10.1 2010-02-23 Address(3pm)