Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers SunBlade 150 can't start openwin: /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error. Post 303036909 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 17th of July 2019 02:13:18 AM
Old 07-17-2019
Sun's Xserver needs keyboard and mouse connected - otherwise it does not start.
Also the correct graphics driver must be installed. That means it should be included in the imstall image. (If not, install a later OS - the later the OS, the more drivers are included. Solaris 9 or 10 should have it.)
You can install the OS without an Xserver:
Code:
boot cdrom - nowin

and install the graphics driver later.
(BTW the generic graphics drivers are bad - after installation should be updated/patched.)
See also
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01...112/index.html

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Openwin Error

1.I was trying to use Exceed to run Solaris "openwin" on my Windows 95. I got an error : /usr/openwin/bin/openwin & 28522 $ /dev/fb: No such file or directory Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type Fatal server error: InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b5fnpct
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenWin Locked up

I have a server that is on solaris 9 and openwin is locked. The mouse won't respond and I can't seem to kill the openwin pid on the server.. Is there a command line to kill openwin from the server side? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jphorton
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: unable to connect to Xserver

Hi Gents, I have downloaded Sol 8 2/04 from Sun's web page and I have tried to install it into a V890. I can boot from a CD 1of 2 without any problem. After the selection of the language and the Locale, the TWM (Sol Install Console window) cannot starts up. The following are the errors... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmakhol
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Can SunBlade 150 support 2 x 160GB hard disk

Hi all, I am a newbies here, Have question regards large hard disk install in SunBlade system. Can SunBlade 150 support 2 x 160GB (internal IDE) ? Want to make sure before buy the hard disks. Anyone had experiences configure large hard disk in SunBlade 150 before ? In the SunBlade 150... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ong.kianseng
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenWin error

I have a client who is using Solaris 8 and on login the system tris to open windows but then generates the following error failed to open /usr/openwin/AcceleratedX/etc/Siteinfo Fatal Server error Failed to configure the xserver Help Please! Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinc77
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

openwin use old serial mouse

Solaris 10 on an Ultra 45, there are two serial ports (com A and B) And I need to be able to use an old serial trackball mouse in the openwin dt enviornment. Do I have any options? Even if I have to buy an external device for conversion? Want to configure openwin to use an old serial pointer device... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
0 Replies

7. Solaris

TTY Issue with Sunblade 150

I purchased a Sunblade 150 from Ebay. It had 512MB RAM and 80GB hard disk. I recently purchased additional RAM and another 80GB disk, and installed them. The RAM goes through POST without issues. I just can't get beyond the OK prompt. I am using the serial console. I have been unable to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geekasaurus
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Why X-server doesn't read /usr/openwin/lib/locale/C/OWfontpath???

Hi all! Solaris 10. Why did X-server stop to read OWfontpath? Any suggestions. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
0 Replies

9. Hardware

seeking QUIET hardware Sparc Solaris 8/Openwin

I have several applications locked to Solaris 8 (and older) and have been very happy with my Sparcs and Ultras but am getting tinnitus problems from fans and disks. Any tips on a quiet thin client (with decent graphics, not video or gaming level but 24bit and multi monitor would be useful) that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchman
0 Replies
parse_dynamic_clustertoc(1M)				  System Administration Commands			      parse_dynamic_clustertoc(1M)

NAME
parse_dynamic_clustertoc - parse clustertoc file based on dynamic entries SYNOPSIS
cdrom/export/exec/sparc.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/parse_dynamic_clustertoc cdrom/export/exec/i386.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/parse_dynamic_clustertoc DESCRIPTION
This script parses the clustertoc file before the suninstall(1M) process is run. parse_dynamic_clustertoc is called by a modified syscon- fig script on the install CD. When parse_dynamic_clustertoc runs, it reads the clustertoc and when it encounters SUNW_CSRMBRIFF lines, it either checks the platform using the script's builtin function, or calls an external script. The script exits with a 0 if the cluster entry is included, otherwise it will be ignored. If the cluster entry is to be included, the SUNW_CSRMBRIFF =(test test_arg)cluster line is converted to SUNW_CSRMEMBER =cluster. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Checking For an SX Framebuffer The following is an example of a simple external test to check for an SX Framebuffer. The entry in the clustertoc file is shown and fol- lowing that is the script that must be placed in the install.d/dynamic_test directory. SUNW_CSRMBRIFF=(smcc.dctoc sx)SUNWCsx #! /bin/sh # # Likewise, this file is expected to live under $(TESTDIR). # case "$1" in sx) prtconf -p | grep 'SUNW,sx' 1> /dev/null;; esac FILES
cdrom/Solaris_2.x/locale/C/.clustertoc.dynamic Dynamic version of the clustertoc file cdrom/export/exec/sparc.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/dynamic_test Directory that contains any additional tests cdrom/export/exec/i386.Solaris_2.x/sbin/install.d/dynamic_test Directory that contains any additional tests ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SHWPcdrom (Solaris CD) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
suninstall(1M), clustertoc(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 1995 parse_dynamic_clustertoc(1M)