Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines Post 303036812 by RudiC on Thursday 11th of July 2019 04:48:58 PM
Old 07-11-2019
For the fun of it:

Code:
for FN in *; do { sort $FN | tee >(uniq -u | wc -l >&3) | wc -l; echo $FN; } 3>&1; done | paste -s -d"\t\t\n" | sort -n

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print number of lines with awk ?

Can some body tell me how to print number of line from a particular file, with sed. ? Input file format AAAA BBBB CCCC SDFFF DDDD DDDD Command to print line 2 and 3 ? BBBB CCCC And also please tell me how to assign column sum to variable. I user the following command it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maheshsri
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I print out lines with the same number in front using awk?

Hi, I need help in printing out the dates with the largest value in front of it using awk. 436 28/Feb/2008 436 27/Feb/2008 436 20/Feb/2008 422 13/Feb/2008 420 23/Feb/2008 409 21/Feb/2008 402 26/Feb/2008 381 22/Feb/2008 374 24/Feb/2008 360... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIFA
7 Replies

3. SCO

Why? I can not change the number of lines to print

hi My problem now is that if shipping options as -o length = 88 it says the following: # lp -o length=88 -dhp4015 /etc/hosts UX:lp: ERROR: The following options can't be handled: -o length= TO FIX: The printer(s) that otherwise qualify for printing your request can't handle one or more of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Edgar Guevara
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print every 20 lines the lowest number

Hello all, How can I find the lowest number every 10 lines? For example i have a list name1 -0.1 name2 2 name3 3 name4 -3 name5 1 name6 2 name7 34 name8 34 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines between line number

Hi, Anyone help me to print the lines from the flat file between 879th line number and 1424th line number. The 879 and 1424 should be passed as input to the shell script(It should be dynamic). Can any one give me using sed or awk? I tried using read, and print the lines..Its taking too... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil_is
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files and print unique lines

Hi friends, I have multiple files. For now, let's say I have two of the following style cat 1.txt cat 2.txt output.txt Please note that my files are not sorted and in the output file I need another extra column that says the file from which it is coming. I have more than 100... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print lines that only have number lower than...

Hello guys, I am a beginner in Unix :wall: and was wondering if anyone could help me. I need a script that prints lines that only has Z-value lower than equals to (<=) 1.0e-02. Each column is seperated by a tab. 10009.fd Z-value = 3.62843e-03 10009.fd Z-value = 9.75489e-01... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: narachaid
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a script to print the number of lines in multiple files

Hi I have 1000 files labelled data1.txt through data1000.txt. I want to write a script that prints out the number of lines in each txt file and outputs it in the following format: Column 1: number of data file (1 through 1000) Column 2: number of lines in the text file Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print N number of lines before and after the grep?

Hi , My record file , need to print up to above (DATA array)(there may be n no lines ) , grep "myvalue" row now .....suggest me some options --- DATA Array--- record type xxxxx sequence type yyyyy 2 3---> data1 /dev/ --- DEVICE --- MAXIMUM_People= data_blocks= MY_value=2 xyz abc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huvan
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Advise on how to print range of lines above and below a number?

Hi, I have attached an output file which is some kind of database file mapping. It is basically like an allocation mapping of a tablespace and its datafile/s. The output is generated by the SQL script that I found from 401 Authorization Required Excerpts of the file are as below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
SORT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   SORT(1)

NAME
sort - sort a file of ASCII lines SYNOPSIS
sort [-bcdfimnru] [-tc] [-o name] [+pos1] [-pos2] file ... OPTIONS
-b Skip leading blanks when making comparisons -c Check to see if a file is sorted -d Dictionary order: ignore punctuation -f Fold upper case onto lower case -i Ignore nonASCII characters -m Merge presorted files -n Numeric sort order -o Next argument is output file -r Reverse the sort order -t Following character is field separator -u Unique mode (delete duplicate lines) EXAMPLES
sort -nr file # Sort keys numerically, reversed sort +2 -4 file # Sort using fields 2 and 3 as key sort +2 -t: -o out # Field separator is : sort +.3 -.6 # Characters 3 through 5 form the key DESCRIPTION
Sort sorts one or more files. If no files are specified, stdin is sorted. Output is written on standard output, unless -o is specified. The options +pos1 -pos2 use only fields pos1 up to but not including pos2 as the sort key, where a field is a string of characters delim- ited by spaces and tabs, unless a different field delimiter is specified with -t. Both pos1 and pos2 have the form m.n where m tells the number of fields and n tells the number of characters. Either m or n may be omitted. SEE ALSO
comm(1), grep(1), uniq(1). SORT(1)