Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Count occurences of the word without it repeating Post 303036140 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 15th of June 2019 03:51:46 PM
Old 06-15-2019
Note: If you do not specify a field separator (FS) in awk, it uses the default of a single space (" "), which has a special meaning:
Quote:
If FS is <space>, skip leading and trailing <blank> and <newline> characters; fields shall be delimited by sets of one or more <blank> or <newline> characters.
The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7, 2018 edition

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

How to find all occurences of word?

Hi, For example lets consider i have word like this:cell I have some text that is stored in table. These are few sentences. TRAP also regulates translation of trpE by promoting formation of an cell. In addition initiation of pabA, trpP and ycbK by directly blocking cells. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

no of occurences of q word

hi I hace a string "abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc" i replaced commas with spaces, now i want to calculate nof occurences of "abc" word. thanks in advance Satya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Count occurences

I have enclosed the script. I am able to find the files that contain my search string but when I try to count the occurences within the file I get zero always. Any help on this. #!/usr/bin/perl my $find = $ARGV; my $replace = $ARGV; my $glob = $ARGV; @filelist = <*$glob>; # process each... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
22 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of occurences of a word

I want to count the number of occurences of say "200" in a file but that file also contains various stuff including dtaes like 2007 or smtg like 200.1 so count i am getting by doing grep -c "word" file is wrong Please help!!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to count occurences

Hi, i am in need of an awk script to accomplish the following: Input table looks like: Student1 arts Student2 science Student3 arts Student4 science Student5 science Student6 science Student7 science Student8 science Student9 science Student10 science Student11 science... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of string

Hi, Please help me in finding the number of occurences of the string. Example: Apple, green, blue, Apple, Orange, green, blue are the strings can be even in the next line. The o/p should look as: Word Count ----- ----- Apple 2 green 2 Orange 1 blue 2 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc888
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count pattern occurences

hi, I have a text..and i need to find a pattern in the text and count to the no of times the pattern occured. i have used grep command ..but the problem is , it shows the occurrences of the pattern but doesn't count no of times the pattern occuries. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvnni
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk count occurences

line number:status, market, keystation 1,SENT,EBS,1 : 1 2,DONE,REU,1 : 1 3,SENT,EBS,2 : 1 4,DONE,EBS,1 : 0 5,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 6,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 7,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 8,SENT,EBS,1 : 1 for each status, market combination I want to keep a tally of active orders. i.e if an order is SENT, then +1, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurences of strings

I have some text files in a folder f1 with 10 columns. The first five columns of a file are shown below. aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb aka 264-266 264 266 bga bga 230-232 230 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomez
10 Replies
uniq(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   uniq(1)

Name
       uniq - report repeated lines in a file

Syntax
       uniq [-udc[+n][-n]] [input[output]]

Description
       The  command  reads  the  input	file comparing adjacent lines.	In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are
       removed; the remainder is written on the output file.  Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found.  For further  infor-
       mation, see

Options
       The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison:

-n Skips specified number of fields.  A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab characters separated by tabs and spaces from its
	  neighbors.

+n Skips specified number of characters in addition to fields.  Fields are skipped before characters.

-c Displays number of repetitions, if any, for each line.

-d Displays only lines that were repeated.

-u Displays only unique (nonrepeated) lines.

If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output.  The -d option specifies  that  one  copy	of
       just the repeated lines is to be written.  The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs.

The  -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of
       times it occurred.

See Also
       comm(1), sort(1)

uniq(1)