Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Count occurences of the word without it repeating Post 303036134 by Aurimas on Saturday 15th of June 2019 04:51:09 AM
Old 06-15-2019
Thank you very much Scrutinizer for a lengthy response!!! You're wonderfully generous Smilie

Everything in your response gives 8 or any other expected value depending on what you wrote except for the first awk code. When I write awk -F"[ ]" -v SRCH="$AAA" '$0 ~ SRCH && !OCC[$6]++ {CNT++ } END {print CNT+0}' "$i" it gives 5 which I have no idea how it came up with. Any ideas why that might be the case?
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Aurimas For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

How to find all occurences of word?

Hi, For example lets consider i have word like this:cell I have some text that is stored in table. These are few sentences. TRAP also regulates translation of trpE by promoting formation of an cell. In addition initiation of pabA, trpP and ycbK by directly blocking cells. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

no of occurences of q word

hi I hace a string "abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc" i replaced commas with spaces, now i want to calculate nof occurences of "abc" word. thanks in advance Satya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Count occurences

I have enclosed the script. I am able to find the files that contain my search string but when I try to count the occurences within the file I get zero always. Any help on this. #!/usr/bin/perl my $find = $ARGV; my $replace = $ARGV; my $glob = $ARGV; @filelist = <*$glob>; # process each... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimHortons
22 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of occurences of a word

I want to count the number of occurences of say "200" in a file but that file also contains various stuff including dtaes like 2007 or smtg like 200.1 so count i am getting by doing grep -c "word" file is wrong Please help!!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to count occurences

Hi, i am in need of an awk script to accomplish the following: Input table looks like: Student1 arts Student2 science Student3 arts Student4 science Student5 science Student6 science Student7 science Student8 science Student9 science Student10 science Student11 science... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of string

Hi, Please help me in finding the number of occurences of the string. Example: Apple, green, blue, Apple, Orange, green, blue are the strings can be even in the next line. The o/p should look as: Word Count ----- ----- Apple 2 green 2 Orange 1 blue 2 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc888
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count pattern occurences

hi, I have a text..and i need to find a pattern in the text and count to the no of times the pattern occured. i have used grep command ..but the problem is , it shows the occurrences of the pattern but doesn't count no of times the pattern occuries. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvnni
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk count occurences

line number:status, market, keystation 1,SENT,EBS,1 : 1 2,DONE,REU,1 : 1 3,SENT,EBS,2 : 1 4,DONE,EBS,1 : 0 5,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 6,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 7,SENT,EBS,2 : 0 8,SENT,EBS,1 : 1 for each status, market combination I want to keep a tally of active orders. i.e if an order is SENT, then +1, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurences of strings

I have some text files in a folder f1 with 10 columns. The first five columns of a file are shown below. aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 aab abb 263-455 263 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb abb 26-455 26 455 bbb aka 264-266 264 266 bga bga 230-232 230 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomez
10 Replies
Count(3pm)						  LogReport's Lire Documentation						Count(3pm)

NAME
Lire::Count - Lire class that implements the count operator SYNOPSIS
use Lire::Count DESCRIPTION
Class that implements the count operator. This operator counts the number of DLF records in the current group. If the fields attribute is set, the count statistics will be equals to the number of different values present in the fields specified by that attribute. Its also possible to express the count as a ratio of the total count for the group or table. METHODS
new( %params ) Creates a new Lire::Count object. In addition to the values supported by its parents, the fields and ratio attributes will be initialized to the values specified in the %params argument. fields( [$new_fields] ) Returns the fields for which we are counting the different values. This a reference to an array of DLF field names. If the $new_fields parameter is set, it will be used as the new $fields value. It must be an array reference and should only contains valid field names for the current report specification's schema. ratio([$new_ratio]) Returns how the count will be expressed. This can one of three possible values: none Default. The absolute count will be used. group The count will be expressed as a percentage of the group's count. table The count will be expressed as a percentage of the table's total count. SEE ALSO
Lire::ReportSpec(3pm), Lire::ReportOperator(3pm), Lire::Aggregator(3pm), Lire::Aggregate(3pm). AUTHOR
Francis J. Lacoste <flacoste@logreport.org> VERSION
$Id: Count.pm,v 1.16 2008/03/09 19:27:31 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This file is part of Lire. Lire is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. Lire 2.1.1 2008-03-09 Count(3pm)