Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Is this sort working as it is supposed to be? A bit confused whether it is sorting correctly or not Post 303036027 by newbie_01 on Wednesday 12th of June 2019 11:07:53 PM
Old 06-13-2019
Silly me Smilie, it does sort like what it should be doing what you said.
Still a bit lost why a 'normal' sort doesn't sort like I expect it to be Smilie

Cygwin sorts differently too but at least using sort -t"|" -k1,1 gives the same output as just doing sort

Code:
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.2-WOW64 [host] 1.7.5(0.225/36/3) 2010-09-26 22:50 i686 GNU/Linux

$ sort test.txt
MDSYS|OGIS_GEOMETRY_COLUMNS|TABLE
MDSYS|OGIS_SPATIAL_REFERENCE_SYSTEMS|TABLE
MDSYS|SDO_IDX_TAB_SEQUENCE|SEQUENCE
MDSYS|SDO_PREFERRED_OPS_USER|TABLE
MDSYS|SDO_ST_TOLERANCE|TABLE
MDSYS|SDO_TOPO_DATA$|TABLE
MDSYS|SDO_TOPO_RELATION_DATA|TABLE
MDSYS|SDO_TOPO_TRANSACT_DATA$|VIEW
MDSYS|SDO_TXN_IDX_DELETES|TABLE
MDSYS|SDO_TXN_IDX_EXP_UPD_RGN|TABLE
MDSYS|SDO_TXN_IDX_INSERTS|TABLE
MDSYS|SRSNAMESPACE_TABLE|TABLE
MDSYS|USER_ANNOTATION_TEXT_METADATA|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_3DTHEMES|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_3DTXFMS|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_ANIMATIONS|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_CACHED_MAPS|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_LIGHTSOURCES|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_LRS_METADATA|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_MAPS|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_SCENES|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_STYLES|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_THEMES|VIEW
MDSYS|USER_SDO_VIEWFRAMES|VIEW
ORDDATA|ORDDCM_CONFORMANCE_VLD_MSGS|VIEW
OUTLN|OL$HINTS|TABLE
OUTLN|OL$NODES|TABLE
SYSTEM|OL$HINTS|TABLE
SYSTEM|OL$NODES|TABLE
SYS|DATA_PUMP_XPL_TABLE$|TABLE
SYS|IMPDP_STATS|INDEX
SYS|IMPDP_STATS|TABLE
SYS|KU$NOEXP_TAB|TABLE
SYS|KU$XKTFBUE|TABLE
SYS|KU$_DATAPUMP_MASTER_10_1|TABLE
SYS|KU$_DATAPUMP_MASTER_11_1_0_7|TABLE
SYS|KU$_DATAPUMP_MASTER_11_1|TABLE
SYS|KU$_DATAPUMP_MASTER_11_2|TABLE
SYS|KU$_LIST_FILTER_TEMP_2|TABLE
SYS|KU$_LIST_FILTER_TEMP|TABLE
SYS|ODCI_SECOBJ$|TABLE
SYS|ODCI_WARNINGS$|TABLE
SYS|PLAN_TABLE$|TABLE
SYS|PSTUBTBL|TABLE
SYS|WRI$_ADV_ASA_RECO_DATA|TABLE
XDB|PATH_VIEW|VIEW
XDB|RESOURCE_VIEW|VIEW
XDB|XDB$ACL|TABLE
XDB|XDB$IMPORT_TT_INFO|TABLE
XDB|XDB$RESCONFIG|TABLE
XDB|XDB$XIDX_IMP_T|TABLE

Last edited by newbie_01; 06-13-2019 at 12:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script not working correctly

I have a simple script that I want to run every 30 minutes but only when I execute it. I don't want it to be a crontab job. so i have for example date ls -l who sleep 1800 The first time it executes correctly but after the first time it nevers execute back again. It should execute after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elchalateco
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

if not working correctly

Anyone have an idea why this if statement does not work correctly? "test2.sh" 18 lines, 386 characters #!/usr/bin/sh WARNING=80 CRITICAL=95 check_it() { if ] || ];then echo "YES ] || ]" else echo "NO ] || ]" fi } check_it 80.1 check_it 81.1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not working correctly.

Hi, I have a script where I am trying to set a local variable using the following, MYVAR="$NAME"_"$NAME2".txt where say, NAME = one NAME2 = two so I want the output one_two.txt but what I am getting is, two.txt basically the $NAME2 is overwriting, what am I doing wrong? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walsh_j
3 Replies

4. Programming

Shell Implementation not working correctly

//save in/out int tmpin = dup(0); int tmpout = dup(1); //set initial input int fdin; if(_inputFile) { fdin = open(_inputFile, O_RDONLY | O_CREAT, S_IREAD | S_IWRITE); } else { //use default input fdin = dup(tmpin); } int ret; int fdout; for(int i = 0; i... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: AirBronto
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync is not correctly working

We are using Red Hat linux system. I am transferring my rman backup files to another server. Here is the command i am using to transfer the files. /usr/bin/rsync -avpP --delete /xyz/xyz/ 99.99.999.99::db110bkp Here is the rsync version. >rsync --version rsync version 3.0.6 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: govindts
1 Replies

6. Programming

I am a little bit confused in a socket example through select()

Hi, I am a newbie about network programming. All codes come from this book: UNIX Network Programming Volume 1, Third Edition. It is a TCP server by use select() int main(int argc, char **argv) { int i, maxi, maxfd, listenfd, connfd, sockfd; int ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Regexp not working correctly

Consider the following code: grep -o -e '^STEAM_::\d+$' workfile3.tmp A sample format of a valid string for the regexp would be: STEAM_0:1:12345678 Here is an example line from the workfile3.tmp file: 465:L 01/02/2012 - 00:05:33: "Spartan1-1-7<8><STEAM_0:1:47539638><>" connected No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not working correctly

Hi I am attempting to right a script which will read a table and extract specfic information. LASTFAILEDJOB=/usr/openv/netbackup/scripts/GB-LDN/Junaid/temp_files/lastfailedjob cat /usr/openv/netbackup/scripts/GB-LDN/Junaid/temp_files/lastfailedjob 237308646 If i run the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vnc No Longer Working Correctly

Hello All, Yesterday, all day, I was using x11vnc and vncviewer to connect to a server. But today for some reason it is not working. I don't remember changing any settings or anything like that, but because it stopped working correctly I guess something has...? I'm issuing the exact same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Are the brains of the UNIXoid working correctly?

Today I saw the topic. sum-even-numbers-1-100 At that time, it was already closed but not the point. Other thoughts came to mind. All newcomers to Haskell are afraid that when they study it, their brains will turn inside out. I did not notice anything like that. And all because the brains of all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nezabudka
4 Replies
sortbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							sortbib(1)

Name
       sortbib - sort bibliographic database

Syntax
       sortbib [-sKEYS] database...

Description
       The  command sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys.  Records may be separated by blank lines, or by .[
       and .] delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together.  This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields,  which
       are  sorted  separately.   The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records.  These records
       are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input.

By default, alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date.  The -s option is used to specify new
       KEYS.  For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date.  Sort keys past the fourth
       are not meaningful.  No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time.  Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated.

The command sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name.  A word in the final  position,  such	as
       ``jr.''	or  ``ed.'',  will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma.  Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions
       can be sorted correctly by using the convention ``'' in place of a blank.  A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except  sorting
       begins  with  the first, not the last, word.  The command sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year.  It also ignores leading
       articles (like ``A'' or ``The'') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any  modern  European  language.
       If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, places that record before other records containing that field.

Options
       -sKEYS
	  Specifies new sort KEYS.  For example, ATD sorts by author, title, and date.

See Also
       addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1)

sortbib(1)