Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Misconfiguration detected Adapter interface name en 3 Adapter offset 0 Post 303035959 by RecoveryOne on Monday 10th of June 2019 07:57:21 PM
Old 06-10-2019
Oh. Not good.
So, looks like TCPIP is up and running so you are pretty far along in the boot. A control-c/spam enter a few times might get you to a login prompt, if you time it between the messages printed to console.

If you do manage to get in, you will likely be spammed with all the happy fun AIX stuff it prints to console. I think in 5.3 TL7?? There's the swcons command, you could do a swcons /tmp/console.out to temporally send all messages printed to console to file. To revert it back just typing swcons.
If you have telnet/ssh it might be responsive on the network. Not sure however.
So, was this lpar part of a cluster?

Next lets go talk about single user mode!
Also, do you have any sort of HMC or is this a standalone frame?

If standalone, this should work (again 5.2 not my cup of tea). Lets bring this lpar up in single user mode. With your console still attached, bounce the lpar (nicely if hmc, or well...press the magical power button if you must). You should see the system start to IPL, and if you are sitting near it, it should beep on the frame (if so equipped) and beep/flash your console. Alternate, if you have a monitor/kbd hooked up it would likely flash/beep there so yeah.
Now, you should see an option of choosing another boot list during the time of the beeping/flashing. Should be boot selection. An option for 'Press 6 to start diagnostics'.
Normal AIX boot header of 'Welcome to AIX' will display, and you will be presented with a diagnostic screen which you can enter past. The next screen should have an option for Start Shell, or Single User mode.

IBM has some good docs about what can and cannot be done in that mode and how to exit single user and get into multiuser. Here's one now! IBM Booting AIX in Single-User Mode
From there, I can't say which commands will work and which wont. I only had to go into single user mode once for a really messed up inittab issue that a vendor left me with!

Again I could be way off the processes as I have 6.1 and 7.1 under my belt. The 5.3 systems and our lowly 4.3.3 box was retired as I came in.

Anyways, do you have other backups of this lpar?
Good news, it sounds like your filesystems are protected if they are on SAN, you just need to get to a point where you can bring them in.
Bad news, depending on if any excludes were done you may end up with a painful rebuild, if other data wasn't backed up via other means.

If you have the knowledge base of 5.2, I'd really look at setting up a mirrored rootvg once you are up and running. I've done both a local hdisk0 and a SAN provided hdisk1 as a mirror before with 6.1 TL7. Not sure if applicable with 5.2, I know a lot of things have changed.

Unfortunately a lot of information regarding 5.2 and even 5.3 is lost in the mix, so not to be 'you should look at updating guy', but....should look at updating Smilie A small Power9, or Power8, heck P7 lines will run rings around a p5. In fact, I'm pushing for that now, we have a few p5's still and they are dropping like flies. Lost two raid controllers (drives ok, but sissas0 AND sissas1 on same frame went belly up.) Another had sysplanar0 errors. And a 3rd I keep under my desk in the office as a heater in the winter months has been reporting predictive failure on the service processor for at least a year now if not longer.

Sorry trevian, I may not be much help in the long run.
Feel free to post what you can, and I'll try to assist when I can, but just all before my time. Perhaps one of the mods here who've worked with AIX for a really long time may have some other ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

LAN Adapter

Im newest in unix, Please, give me solution for installing lan adapter if driver not found in the list of ethernet drivers ihave unix driver in a dos diskete please give me the other solution and tell me where the domain of unix class online, so ican read from it. Thank's very much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade_muhdiat
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Which SCSI Adapter?

Hi. I need to find a simple SCSI adapter card for a Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I don't need the type w/ ethernet attached (e.g. X1032) as I already have ethernet onboard & they are more spendy. I know Adaptec is out, but what unit would work? I am attaching an external SCSI tape unit to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Plain Person
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Creator 3D Video Adapter

Hi everyone, it's me the Solaris novice once again. Here's my situation. - I bought a Sun Ultra 10 Creator 3D Workstation and Sony 19" SVGA Monitor package deal. - The system has the Creator 3D Video Adapter installed but I could not use it because the adapter has a 13w3 connection and my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

what is an adapter?

Hi , Hi what is an adapter?what is its use ? How to log into a tibco server from unix home directory. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simulated driver for Network Interface Adapter

Hi all, I got sort of a task to do. I have to write in C "simulated network driver". What does it mean? - It has to run on all network adapters - It has to be as simple as it can be - It has to run on all linux distributions (or at least most of them) - It does not have to run a network... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
4 Replies

6. SCO

Installing LAN adapter

I inserted a PCI Realtek RTL8139 network adapter on a PC running SCO Openserver 5.0.6. I successfully loaded drivers and I'm trying to install the card with netconfig command, unfortunately without success. Here are the steps I follow to install the card: I run netconfig, from menu 'hardware'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kampus
2 Replies

7. Hardware

SCSI Ultra320 80->68 adapter

I need to connect 80pin SCA Ultra320 SCSI hdd to 68pin. There are rumors that some bad "passive" adapters with problematic termination can fry the HDD. The adapter we got is Assmann ABSCA-2. Hard drive is 'Fujitsu MAW3073NC' Do we need to set any jumpers before turning it on? We already had... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
0 Replies

8. AIX

Dedicate graphics adapter ?

Hello, Runing VIO and couple lpars on POWER blade. I want to dedicate graphics adapter(ati0) to one lpar. Is that possible ? I tried to do that using IVM (I/O Adapter Management->View/Modify Physical Adapters->Modify partition assignment): Failed to remove adapter U78A6.001.WIH4088-P2-C8... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

9. AIX

Vscsi and npiv on same adapter

Hi, I want to change from vscsi to npiv. Is it possible to use both on the same adapter, so we can change the systems one by one, or must we place a second FC adapter in the VIO servers? Thanks, Ronald (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronaldm60
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ethernet Adapter not detected.

Hi, I have installed Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 in my PC. After the installation the Ethernet Card is not got detected. But I could able to get the details using the command lspci -a: 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev b0). But I could... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
4 Replies
SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8) 	       systemd-ask-password-console.service		   SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-ask-password-console.service, systemd-ask-password-console.path, systemd-ask-password-wall.service, systemd-ask-password-wall.path - Query the user for system passwords on the console and via wall SYNOPSIS
systemd-ask-password-console.service systemd-ask-password-console.path systemd-ask-password-wall.service systemd-ask-password-wall.path DESCRIPTION
systemd-ask-password-console.service is a system service that queries the user for system passwords (such as hard disk encryption keys and SSL certificate passphrases) on the console. It is intended to be used during boot to ensure proper handling of passwords necessary for boot. systemd-ask-password-wall.service is a system service that informs all logged in users for system passwords via wall(1). It is intended to be used after boot to ensure that users are properly notified. See the developer documentation[1] for more information about the system password logic. Note that these services invoke systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1) with either the --watch --console or --watch --wall command line parameters. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1), wall(1) NOTES
1. developer documentation https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents systemd 237 SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)