Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Script and Progress Bar or GUI Wrapper Post 303035929 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 9th of June 2019 10:16:02 PM
Old 06-09-2019
You could pretty up your script using whiptail:

Here is an example script:

Code:
{
 sleep 3
 echo 25
 sleep 3
 echo 50
 sleep 3
 echo 75
 sleep 3
 echo 100
 sleep 1

} | whiptail --gauge "Naveedan's task" 6 60 0

The sleep commands simulate work you script is performing. You will probably want to calculate the percentage complete in your script rather than have arbitrary hard-coded echo statements.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

progress bar

Hi all, I want to print # like that in a progress bar.. For e.g We can notice that during installation ... but,how to do that? Thnx, sakthi. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i create a simple progress bar in shell

please help me as i want to create a simple process bar to check the status for any script......... especially in UNIX (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aditya.ece1985
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar

Hi friends, how can I show a progress bar for any running process in the shell script. For example when I am copying or compressing a file. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

progress bar

hi all, in shell script (ksh), how do i write a progress bar ?? i have a script which searches files and while its searching i am currently printing out "." and if it finds what its searching for the script prints out the name of the file e.g .................. firstFile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

5. Programming

A progress bar in C

Hello, it's me again...:eek: I need to create a progress bar in C, but i have no idea on how to do it. i want it to output something like this: Progress: 58% But i can't get it to work. Could you please post an example progress bar written in ANSI C? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar for cp

I'm trying to use this code to get a progress bar for cp: "Can you get cp to give a progress bar like wget?" But I'm getting these errors: stat: illegal option -- c usage: stat awk: division by zero input record number 1, file source line number 4 I'm using Mac OS X 10.6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need suggestion how to use the progress bar while executing shell

Dear All, I need suggestions, I have below simple text based progress-bar script which will gradually increase the %. #!/bin/ksh i=50 echo "0--------20--------40-------60--------80-------100%" while do echo -n "#" sleep 1 i=`expr $i - 1` done echo Now my problem is, how can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Progress bar

Hi Experts; Im in the process of writing a shell script for enabling an IT operations to run archiving.We use netbackup. The script is complete, though there is one bit that i need help on. Im trying to have a progess bar for the procedure.I have gone through the man page of the command in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

progress bar in ftp script

dear all , i made script to transfer data through the FTP but i need to add something if you can help me i want in the output message like progress bar |||||||||||||||||||||||||| 30% to know when it will finish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies
sleep(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - Suspends execution for at least the specified time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: sleep: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Non-negative integer specifying the number of seconds for which execution is to be suspended. DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution of a process for at least the interval specified by seconds, which can range from 0 to 2,147,483,647 seconds. Depending on system activity, the actual time of suspension may be longer. See the sleep(3) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] seconds can be entered as a non-negative decimal, octal, or hexadecimal value. NOTES
If sleep receives a SIGALARM signal before process execution has resumed, sleep takes one of the following actions: Terminates normally with a 0 (zero) exit status. (See the sleep(3) reference page for more information.) Ignores the signal Performs default processing EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Execution was successfully suspended for at least the requested time, or a SIGALARM signal was received. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display a message at 4-minute intervals for 20 minutes, create a shell script called remind containing the following: for i do sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i done To display the message Try calling NHK at 4-minute intervals, enter: remind 'Try calling NHK' To run a command at regular intervals, create a shell script containing the following: while true do date sleep 60 done This displays the date and time once a minute. To execute a command after a specified interval, enter the following; (sleep 3600; echo Time's up) & This displays the message "Time's up" after one hour. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of sleep: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: wait(1) Functions: alarm(3), pause(3), sigaction(2), sleep(3) Standards: standards(5) sleep(1)